Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Juventus 7.45 TV3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

PauloMN wrote: »
    Are you serious? Lol, it's an expression ffs!!!!! :eek:

Oh I know Paul but again you had to use Rangers fans in your comparisons. And if you go through that thread and take the posts made by bears compared to the rest then you have to see why it pisses us off. When the oh its because of your team If that is the case there is one hell of amount of bears on boards ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Yeah to be fair posts from EB and BBE have been grand really, or at least they pale in comparison to some of the rest on show

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Apparently saying someone must be blind as a response to baffling observations and interpretation of clear incidents is name calling and cheap.
    Yep! I am not blind, so I guess the factual content matches your assessment of the match.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Oh I know Paul but again you had to use Rangers fans in your comparisons. And if you go through that thread and take the posts made by bears compared to the rest then you have to see why it pisses us off. When the oh its because of your team If that is the case there is one hell of amount of bears on boards ;)

Well I suppose it's because I know you lads a lot longer than the others. I'd take what you lads say about Celtic more seriously than the others tbf. Most of the others posting on here last night I've never come across before. I didn't like one of EB's comments last night, but he's made his view perfectly clear.

Then I read that bull**** about the banner from a poster I thought would have known better, and you just wonder what's going on in peoples' heads.

Well I suppose it's because I know you lads a lot longer than the others. I'd take what you lads say about Celtic more seriously than the others tbf. Most of the others posting on here last night I've never come across before. I didn't like one of EB's comments last night, but he's made his view perfectly clear.

Then I read that bull**** about the banner from a poster I thought would have known better, and you just wonder what's going on in peoples' heads.

Can't remember that one you will have to remind me

snowblind wrote: »
    Yep! I am not blind, so I guess the factual content matches your assessment of the match.
    It seems like you're getting pissy over a common expression. Get over it and stop being so tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Calling someone blind is a common expression for you? Well I'm glad I was brought up with some sense of manners.

Incoming: Pic of Lichtsteiner trying to unscrew a Celtic head off the shoulders!
    BC_wM7VCYAA4Qki.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

snowblind wrote: »
    Calling someone blind is a common expression for you? Well I'm glad I was brought up with some sense of manners.

Incoming: Pic of Lichtsteiner trying to unscrew a Celtic head off the shoulders!
    BC_wM7VCYAA4Qki.jpg

Oh will you stop your whinging. He was taking the piss out of your username. It was a JOKE, ok

Oh will you stop your whinging. He was taking the piss out of your username. It was a JOKE, ok

Even I have to agree with this. You need to calm down snowblind ;)

Next time I shout at the TV "ffs ref are you f***ing blind?!" I will stop and reflect on the situation for a moment. Am I taking a cheap shot? Will I hurt his feelings? Is he actually blind? Can he hear me through the TV?

Questions we should all ask ourselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

AdamD wrote: »
    lichtsteinerdive.gif
    That's embarrassing.
    They just look like two normal male soccer players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I thoroughly enjoyed this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Actually I think Pirlo had a much harder time of it than he did when he ran the show v England in the Euros for example - only picking that out because it was a performance that stands out in my memory. Brown in particular was not overawed by his rep. Pirlo is a top class player btw, one of my favourite footballers, but he had a tough time of it last night and Broonie definitely riled him. He wasn't his usual super-cool self at all, has a little dig here so he does, not cool at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Johnny Giles has a column in today's Herald. He obviously didn't read this thread and should be considered relatively unbiased. Essentially he said the pulling/pushing etc is normal in Spain and Italy and the ref was not strong enough to put a stop to it. He reckons an English ref would have given a penalty four times to Celtic and given Juventus four red cards.

He'd be fairly knowledgeable on the game.
    Await first poster to say Giles is an idiot and doesn't know what he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Johnny Giles has a column in today's Herald. He obviously didn't read this thread and should be considered relatively unbiased. Essentially he said the pulling/pushing etc is normal in Spain and Italy and the ref was not strong enough to put a stop to it. He reckons an English ref would have given a penalty four times to Celtic and given Juventus four red cards.

Await first poster to say Giles is an idiot and doesn't know what he is talking about.

I've seen penalties like those given in South America. Plus, a penalty like that was given in a Barca vs AC Milan match last season. None of those referees were English. It just depends on the referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

[SIZE="1"]Await first poster to say Giles is an idiot and doesn't know what he is talking about.[/SIZE]

I'll take that challenge!

Even as a Celtic fan there was never 4 penalties in last nights game and I'm not sure Giles is much of an authority on the European game.

Sure what would Gilesy know about the game compared to some of the luminaries around here?:pac:.

If the ref had given 1 pen, then that would have put a stop to Juve's carry on. 4 pens and we would have won:D. Juve were deserved winners on balance but the ref bottled it big time and his failure certainly influenced the result, that's the story of what happened in last nights game.

Lennonist wrote: »
    4 pens and we would have won:D.
    Do you reckon :D
    How many would have turned into goals.

lol yeah, who woulda thunk one of the best players in the world could technically outfox an SPL and Scotland international.

• Advertisement

Do you reckon :D
    How many would have turned into goals.

4 pen kicks optimistically would be 4 goals:D, hence the :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Next time I shout at the TV "ffs ref are you f***ing blind?!" I will stop and reflect on the situation for a moment. Am I taking a cheap shot? Will I hurt his feelings? Is he actually blind? Can he hear me through the TV?

Questions we should all ask ourselves

Seriously, have a read back through your posts on this thread :o

fullstop wrote: »
    Seriously, have a read back through your posts on this thread :o
    Your first word there is ironic given what you're saying.

I'll leave the rest for you to work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The daftest thing about Giles' analysis of 4 penalties and red cards is the idea that Juventus would have continued with the tactics even after the first penalty and red card.

I didn't see the game but the clips highlighted on here don't convince me that Celtic were done by the referee. In the first clip, it looks like Hooper throws a puch at the defender. In another it looks like he's standing on the defender's foot before taking a dive (an acting performance ourdone the the Juve defender a second later), and in a clip highlighting a Pirlo 'dig', it looks like Brown had a cheeky dig of his own, with his studs making light contact with Pirlo's thigh.

I doubt Juve will be too bothered by Celtic fans claiming they've disgraced themselvws with their antics either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Maybe some of those who claim that the ref should have given at least a penalty for the tussle between Lichtsteiner and Hooper need to realize that for a penalty to be given the ball has to be in play.

A corner kick does not equal ball in play.
    Players can only be sanctioned for misconduct which is why they were both booked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

Your first word there is ironic given what you're saying.

I'll leave the rest for you to work out.

From what little I've read of this thread your crying about the ref has been pretty embarrassing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

osarusan wrote: »
    The daftest thing about Giles' analysis of 4 penalties and red cards is the idea that Juventus would have continued with the tactics even after the first penalty and red card.

I didn't see the game but the clips highlighted on here don't convince me that Celtic were done by the referee. In the first clip, it looks like Hooper throws a puch at the defender. In another it looks like he's standing on the defender's foot before taking a dive (an acting performance ourdone the the Juve defender a second later), and in a clip highlighting a Pirlo 'dig', it looks like Brown had a cheeky dig of his own, with his studs making light contact with Pirlo's thigh.

I doubt Juve will be too bothered by Celtic fans claiming they've disgraced themselvws with their antics either.
    I doubt anybody is too bothered what your opinion on the matter is.
    Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Maybe some of those who claim that the ref should have given at least a penalty for the tussle between Lichtsteiner and Hooper need to realize that for a penalty to be given the ball has to be in play.

Players can only be sanctioned for misconduct which is why they were both booked.
    I believe they were claiming there should have been a penalty when the corner was taken. Don't agree personally on that but I do think that Lichsteiner should have been sent off.
    From what little I've read of this thread your crying about the ref has been pretty embarrassing
    Shouldn't you be in bed? Surely you have school in the morning.

I watch many La Liga games every week and Mallenco is regularly controversial. He just continued in the same vein last night. I don't think he picks on one side in particular, its just his sell by date has passed and its time he was removed from refereeing top games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

osarusan wrote: »

By your own admission, you did not see the game and then you manage to confuse incidents up with different players - the only correct bit in your post regards Giles and you nail it that referees take action to deter certain behaviour. The referee did not do this.

There were plenty of times when the ball was in play from a corner or free kick when the shirt putting and obstruction continued and this was after the ref spoke to the players. The ref bottled it

Baffling that so many people's arguments centre around "it can't be a penalty if the ball isn't in play".

-Presumably you did not watch the actual match or you would realise that while the above statement is correct it is irrelevant to the incidents discussed.

- Even if you didn't watch the match would you not use some common sense and think how weird it would be if all the wrestling and manhandling instantly stopped as soon as the ball was kicked

- Even if it did stop as soon as the ball was kicked, and a penalty can not therefore be awarded, the referee only penalised them twice for this (he even booked Celtic players for getting manhandled). If he had the balls to apply his own rules he would have issued reds since it occurred upwards of ten times in the game, from 2-3 players.

By all means argue in favour of the referee/Juventus, but find another angle as this one is dead in the water.

This wouldn't happen to be one of the Celtic fans on here ? :pac:

1zlyjrm.jpg

Hooper's sole intent was to obstruct Buffon, Lichtsteiner wasn't having any of it, deal with it.

This wouldn't happen to be one of the Celtic fans on here ? :pac:

1zlyjrm.jpg

Hooper's sole intent was to obstruct Buffon, Lichtsteiner wasn't having any of it, deal with it.

Your next game is against Clyde, deal with it:pac:

• Advertisement

I just hope our players don't have to deal with attackers trying to obstruct Alexander.

I just hope our players don't have to deal with attackers trying to obstruct Alexander.

Oh for fook sake:rolleyes:

Even former Juve and Italy legend Gianluca Vialli believes the Juve so called "defending" at set pieces was out of order the other night. I don't think there is any argument here at all that Juve's defending at set pieces was completely out of order and should have been dealt with by the ref with penalties and/or sending offs. Anyone putting forward an alternative view is only takin the piss.

From the Beeb website:
    Former Juventus star Gianluca Vialli believes his Italian defenders went too far in their manhandling of Celtic striker Gary Hooper at set-pieces. (Daily Record)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Kelvin Wilson replaced Hooper a couple of times in the second half if I remember rightly in that role. No way he was pushed around! Should have tried Wanyama in there as well.

They'd be better off trying to obstruct Alexander themselves, considering the gaffes he's made this season.

Oh for fook sake:rolleyes:

Weird how it's only 'banter' when it's Celtic fans taking the piss.

Any other viewpoint can't be tolerated apparently.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

why-is-yawning-contagious03.jpg

Is that Buffon ?

Is that Buffon ?

No, it's Agent Craig Whyte listening to you lot!

I was positive you could have come up with something better than that, guess I was wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

why-is-yawning-contagious03.jpg

You know you're beat when you have to resort to posting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Celtic played some good stuff in the first half. We looked decent on the ball and the effort the players put in, pressing Juve all over the park was great to see.
    Mistakes were made by Lennon. The obvious one was Efe Ambrose. It really was a poor call to play him looking back at it, there was no way he could have been ready.
    Also felt it was a mistake playing James Forrest. Brown could have been used on the right and Kayal/Ledley brought in to give the team more balance, whatever about starting him, I couldn't believe he lasted the 90mins and somehow he thought it was better taking off Commons?

Still, it could have been different on another day. Juve done us on the counter, the 2nd goal effectively killed it. Everyone in CP was expecting the equaliser until then but our shooting was poor. There was no help from the referee either, it was frustrating watching that unfold.

Celtic punched above their weight big time this year getting to the last 16. We just don't have the resources to compete with teams like Juve plain and simple. We will always pull off a shock like Barca this year but no one can expect us to continually beat these teams.

fullstop wrote: »
    You know you're beat when you have to resort to posting that.

Didn't realise it was a competition, I was just being honest. That's exactly how I felt when I read his post, and I guess if you had to read the endless "it's only banter when...." posts, and the "obsessed with us" posts, you'd probably feel exactly the same.

So you're admitting that you're just taking the piss on this fouling off the ball in the pen box issue. I note that none of the other posters on this thread that have been taking the piss on this matter, addressed the point I raised about Juve legend Gianluca Vialli's comments on the matter. Former refereee Dermot Gallagher is also on record saying that the ref on the night failed spectacularly in his duties. Anyone who is being remotely serious about what happened the other night will acknowledge that Juve were out of order and the ref failed to deal with the situation. There is no alternative viewpoint to that view that can be taken seriously. Take the piss all you like, but that's all you're doing.

No I'm not taking the piss about the Hooper-Lichtsteiner thing, it's Celtic fans who seem to be oblivious that it was Hooper who started it time and time again, but yet only Lichtsteiner should be punished.

And so what if Viali says that, it's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

Anyway, good to see the 'always cheated, never defeated' mantra is still strong amongst the Celtic faithful, backed up by their manager 'seeking clarification' with UEFA.

edit: And now apparently Celtic are compiling a dossier regarding the ref for UEFA, couldn't make it up.

Anyway, good to see the 'always cheated, never defeated' mantra is still strong amongst the Celtic faithful, backed up by their manager 'seeking clarification' with UEFA.
    We weren't cheated when we lost 2-1 to Barca in the group stages.

We weren't cheated when we got put out by Milan a few years ago.

Or when we were put out by Barca the other time.

And nobody is saying we would have won but for the referee.

Back to you.

So you found three examples, good on you.

Still doesn't change the fact that Celtic's constant need to ask for 'clarification' is getting tiresome.

What about the decisions that went Celtic's way, like Samaras' dive and against Spartak without which they wouldn't be in the CL to begin with ?
    Foster taking down a Benfica player and no penalty given ?

What do they think UEFA will do, turn the result around ?
    Say the ref was wrong, ban him for life and force a replay ?

The funny thing is that the night's worst decision was about to go against Juve, good thing Marchisio followed up because the officials would not have given Matri's goal.

No I'm not taking the piss about the Hooper-Lichtsteiner thing, it's Celtic fans who seem to be oblivious that it was Hooper who started it time and time again, but yet only Lichtsteiner should be punished.

And so what if Viali says that, it's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

edit: And now apparently Celtic are compiling a dossier regarding the ref for UEFA, couldn't make it up.

No Celtic fan on this thread has said anything other than Juve were the better side and probably would have won regardless of the fouling off the ball in the pen box issue. Every serious commentator on the game have said the same thing about this matter. Celtic are right to follow it up and seek an explanation about the ref's performance. UEFA will have a word with him and will issue a directive to other refs I'm sure, you can't be having refs so obviously failing to apply the rules of the game like that.

Anyway pointless talking to you about it, sure you freely admitted that you were merely just taking the piss in an earlier comment, you'll dispute that now of course:rolleyes:. You do know that the whole trick with "taking the piss" is that you should at least try to conceal that you are "taking the piss". It doesn't work otherwise:pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Lads ye are worse for replying to him, just ignore the troll, he is trying to fill time with no meaningfull football for at least the next three years, this is he's way of feeling involved.

• Advertisement

No Celtic fan on this thread has said anything other than Juve were the better side and probably would have won regardless of the fouling off the ball in the pen box issue. Every serious commentator on the game have said the same thing about this matter. Celtic are right to follow it up and seek an explanation about the ref's performance. UEFA will have a word with him and will issue a directive to other refs I'm sure, you can't be having refs so obviously failing to apply the rules of the game like that.

Anyway pointless talking to you about it, sure you freely admitted that you were merely just taking the piss in an earlier comment, you'll dispute that now of course:rolleyes:. You do know that the whole trick with "taking the piss" is that you should at least try to conceal that you are "taking the piss". It doesn't work otherwise:pac:.

As I said: I wasn't.
    I was only taking the piss with this outrage at the referee, and how it's starting to become typical and tiresome (as no doubt many people who follow Scottish football could agree upon).

So far none of you seems to have admitted that Hooper was equally, if not more at fault for the tussle in the box.

Despite the facts being there that he desperately tried to impede Buffon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement