Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Juventus 7.45 TV3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Cienciano wrote: »
    Hopefully Juve get a 4th. Buffon is so calm under the high cross and bouncing shot.
    Yep, another goal would be delicious. Buffon has been superb yet again, still one of the top 'keepers in the world right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don't see how not taking your chances and defending p!ss poorly makes you the better team. Juve have done nothing and were still much more dangerous when going forward. Celtic have put on an impressive display but the lack of class and composure is very evident. Ultimately it's just another brave defeat to add to the list. Hard luck. Entertaining game. Refereeing was very questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Overall it was Lennon's fault for playing him but they were still Ambrose's mistakes.

Under the circumstances, nobody will be too harsh on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Struggling to think of many worse displays than Ambrose tonight.

At fault for 2 goals (at least for the most part).
    Blocked a shot from Commons in the Juventus penalty area.
    Missed a sitter of a header.

Up there with Jon Walters earlier in the season.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

born2bwild wrote: »
    I think Juve could have stepped it up, though - 0-3 away and they never got out of 2nd gear.

Because Celtic didn't allow them too. Barca got the same treatment, Celtic just had a fitter defense. I don't like how Celtic capitulated after the 2nd goal though, there was still a lot of time left in the tie to get back into it and they seemed to feel sorry for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

So, the FAR BETTER TEAM loses 0-3, huh?
    I can assure you, Conte and Juventus would be very happy to change the rules so that style of play would give you the points rather than goals scored. But that is not the way, alas the way Juventus played tonight. Mission accomplished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

snowblind wrote: »
    So, the FAR BETTER TEAM loses 0-3, huh?
    I can assure you, Conte and Juventus would be very happy to change the rules so that style of play would give you the points rather than goals scored. But that is not the way, alas the way Juventus played tonight. Mission accomplished.

That's silly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Very good game to watch. Celtic unlucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Extremely well done and typical of Juve, they adapted brilliantly to Celtic's ferocious barrage of pressure and shots and exuded resilience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

We'll beat them 4-0 in Turin!!

C'mon Celtic

Lichtensteiner did more pulling and dragging than a junior B gaelic footballer tonight. Impressive that he actually managed to last the full 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

The game was over when Juve got that first goal, they just don't give away goals. Celtic's only hope was to win tonight, o have a chance of going through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Hardy Bucks movie? Please, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Good game, but feck it, Celtic were shown up at this level. To be expected, did amazing to get outta group...this was a step too far :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Entertaining game. Fair play to Celtic, but the only thing they did really well today was unsettle the Juve midfield, they pressed very well but were wasteful up front and even worse at the back. Pity Juventus didn't have more of a say in the game itself but it's the result that counts, and I wouldn't have thought we'd beat Celtic 3-0 away from home.

That's silly...
    Care to elaborate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

ambrose cost celtic 2 goals and missed a sitter at the other end - what a nightmare he had

and the second juve goal looked like it could have been offside to me, i'd like to have another look

celtic were the better team, needed one of those chances to go in though, they played some good stuff and ambrose's errors really cost them

ref was an embarrassment, basically allowed anything to go on in the box, juve could pull and drag as much as they liked knowing at worst they'd get a warning or both teams would have a player booked - with their history of cheating and their rugby tactics in defense i think it's fair to say not many want to see them going a long way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Certified

Well done Juve, controlled, professional and clinical!

Was disappointed to see the stadium emptying out with 15 mins to go. I really expected more.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lennonist wrote: »
    Fck that's that as they say. Been a great run in the CL this season. Just got to make sure Celtic maintain a regular spot in the CL Group stages for the foreseeable future. Tonight was bonus territory.

I think Lenny made an error playing Ambrose just after coming back from Afrika, he had options there, took the wrong one.

+1.

Have enjoyed it greatly. Celtic getting out of the groups in the CL is a fantastic achievement, anything else is a bonus. Would have liked to take a point tonight to make the 2nd leg more enjoyable, but alas it wasn't to be.

Ambrose wasn't a good decision, that was clear right from the start. I thought he'd have been subbed early 2nd half tbh.

I really feared the lack of Sammy would mean no goals for us though, whatever about mistakes at the back. Hooper needs a partner with him all the time, whether that be Sammy or another striker like Stokes. He's not effective used like tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Rezident wrote: »
    Great, 20 mins of Italian time wasting coming up, instead of football.
    PauloMN wrote: »
    Here we go. 20 mins of time wasting coming up.
    Italian timewasting being scoring 2 more goals? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Certified wrote: »
    Well done Juve, controlled, precessional and clinical!

Was disappointed to see the stadium emptying out with 15 mins to go. I really expected more.

Ah here, was I watching the same game as you lot? The one I watched involved Juve misplacing passes left, right and centre, and relying on Celtic missing sitters and the ref giving them free reign on corners in order to close the game out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just seen the Celtic banner on Hillsborough there.

I mean they could of put up that banner anytime in the last few months, but they had to display it against Juventus of all teams.

Bad taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I think Juve could have stepped it up, though - 0-3 away and they never got out of 2nd gear.

Bullsht. You clearly haven't a clue. Juve deserved winners, but they were not going to step it up anymore than they did. They got the run of the ball. Celtic were the team who needed the bit of luck, it was Juve who got it and they made the most of it.

Tie over, always next year for Celtic, just got to make sure they get to the CL Group stage every year now.

I mean they could of put up that banner anytime in the last few months, but they had to display it against Juventus of all teams.

Bad taste.

What did it say?

Bad taste.

It's there fairly regularly I think. Certainly for the Champions League games anyway.

Bad taste.

Why is it bad taste? What's Hillsborough got to do with Juve? Are you mixing it up with Heysel?

What did it say?

Well it was in support of the JF96 campaign.

Fair play to them had it been any other time. But seriously why the **** do it on a night that they play of all teams Juve.

Just stupid and leaves bad taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bad taste.
    Do you just have to find something to give out about?

Celtic are rarely on such a big stage and they did something good. Its got nothing do with Juventus even though you want to drag up something else which has nothing to do with Hillsborough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Of all Celtics shots on target . I never thought they were going to score from any of them.

Played well when on the ball though.

Bullsht. You clearly haven't a clue. Juve deserved winners, but they were not going to step it up anymore than they did. They got the run of the ball. Celtic were the team who needed the bit of luck, it was Juve who got it and they made the most of it.

Tie over, always next year for Celtic, just got to make sure they get to the CL Group stage every year now.

No - Celtic were out classed. They had endeavor and industry but no real, real quality and no penetration.

If Juve had had to go out and get goals they could have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Fair play to them had it been any other time. But seriously why the **** do it on a night that they play of all teams Juve.

Why because of heysel?? How are the two even remotely related? :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Bad taste.

An absolutely ridiculous post. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Well done celtic anyways, well played and on another say the result could be different. If 'the perfect match' is half as good tomorrow well all be doing well for ourselves.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

You must be taking the same drugs as the rangers boys tonight! :)

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

Back to the game so.

With their poor finishing Celtic have found out what a lot of the mid to low table teams in Serie A have to deal with constantly - Juve can put in a performance that seems middling and give away a lot of chances, but in the end they find Buffon and the central defence. It's also about tactics, and Conte did what he had and did it well. The pressing from Celtic was impressive in the first half, but more and more holes were found to play through as they probably aren't used to such intensity in SPL and tiredness kicks in etc. Deserved win, not unusual to find Juve winning like this at all. Totally deserved, as all the goals were legit. End of. At least for me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Celtic fans have always paid tribute to the people who died at Hillsborough,Liverpool and Celtic had a fundraising game for the first game at Anfield after the tragedy happened.

They have dedicated the singing of YNWA for the victims before a champions league game this season i think too.

Juve could have most definitely stepped it up a 'few' gears but I doubt very much we could have scored any more than the 3. A bit fortunate maybe but hats off to Conte he got it right and stayed calm when I would have pressed the nitro button!

You make your own luck as they say.

No - Celtic were out classed. They had endeavor and industry but no real, real quality and no penetration.

If Juve had had to go out and get goals they could have.

Whatever:rolleyes:. The reality is Juve got the run of the ball. Celtic made uncharacteristic defensive errors, mainly because Lenny made a huge error by starting Ambrose. Celtic also missed a couple of sitters themselves you know.

• Advertisement

Matri touch for the 2nd goal was class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Celtic gave it their all tonight, just lacked the quality to create enough clear cut chances and came up against a very organised and efficient Juve team. On another night they might have got something out of that though, 0-3 definitely flatters Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well played Juventus. They knew Celtic were going to be all up and at them, soaked it up , hit their goals. Heart only gets you so far. Let the condescending words towards Celtic begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Whatever:rolleyes:. The reality is Juve got the run of the ball. Celtic made uncharacteristic defensive errors, mainly because Lenny made a huge error by starting Ambrose. Celtic also missed a couple of sitters themselves you know.

Must be hitting you hard. They let Celtic work up a sweat then nailed them by finishing chances. Early goal made it easier though.

Celtic have done very well to get this far, but now the level is at a stage where any mistakes will be punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

dsmythy wrote: »
    Must be hitting you hard.

What a question to ask, of course it is hitting Celtic fans hard tonight. what else are you expecting??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

PauloMN wrote: »

You must be taking the same drugs as the rangers boys tonight! :)
    Yeah we'd are on drugs because we have opinions that don't match yours lol

Well played Juventus. They knew Celtic were going to be all up and at them, soaked it up , hit their goals. Heart only gets you so far. Let the condescending words towards Celtic begin.

You get the feeling sometimes that there is a lot of simmering resentment towards Celtic with some posters around here. I wonder why that is.

Celtic fans will have no complaints, they didn't get any luck tonight, but got beat by the better team. End of story. If "heart" alone - which it wasn't - gets Celtic this far in CL every year, they'll be happy with the reward, revenue and opportunities to build for the future that comes with that.

Fair play to Celtic tho, I have not seen that much of them in a while and was impressed with there football tonight. The Champions league last 8 is just a step too far this year but they have really got something there to build on for next year. Juve got a good few bruises tonight!

Must be hitting you hard. They let Celtic work up a sweat then nailed them by finishing chances. Early goal made it easier though.

Not really, losing 3-2 in Seville was much harder. Being a Celtic fan is full of ups and downs, part of the fun of it. Who do you support smythy?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement