Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Juventus 7.45 TV3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Celtic are clearly a decent side. But as someone mentioned earlier, playing the likes of St. Mirren and Ross County every week isn't going to help prepare for a game like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

The big what if has to be Samaras' injury. Lennon might have been more likely to drop Ambrose and move Mulgrew back. Persisting with Forrest until the end was Lennon's second biggest mistake of the night.

Still, last August I reckon most Celtic fans would have taken it if they were offered Celtic getting further in the competition than last season's Premiership Champions AND last season's Champion's League winners. It will be good experience for Lennon and a young team, hopefully they can build on it for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Celtic shot themselves in the foot tonight after 3 mins.
    Had they kept it 0-0 then 'maybe' Juventus might have played a slightly more expansive game throughout that first half.
    As it panned out, Celtic gift the goal, Juve are happy and Celtic push on and pop a few shots off that were never going to trouble probably the best keeper in the world ( imo ), as well as a good shout for a pen.

Celtic played well, but Juve in the second half seemed to be just waiting for them to tire and then they punished them badly. Great performance from Juventus, unlucky Celtic with that 1st goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Conte nails it: At the start the Celtic players went above and beyond their capabilities, but we held out under their pressure. The moment they dropped the tempo a little, we got our goals and created more dangerous opportunities.
    http://www.football-italia.net/30687/conte-amazing-celtic-atmosphere

The celtic "penalty" shouts were all called correctly by the ref. Handbags and pushing by both players. A yellow card each after a few warnings was the correct decision imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Cienciano wrote: »
    The celtic "penalty" shouts were all called correctly by the ref

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83187544&postcount=244

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

Hooper was never looking for the ball all he was trying to do was obstruct Buffon

I thought that was going to be a link to a gif showing how it was a foul or something but it's just you quoting yourself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

The celtic "penalty" shouts were all called correctly by the ref. Handbags and pushing by both players. A yellow card each after a few warnings was the correct decision imho

Listen Juventus won the game comprehensively, they are a wily experienced outfit and will progress comfortably in the tie. But I'd say UEFA will be taking a close look at the way the Juve defenders were operating in the penalty box at corners and set pieces. There's always a bit of argy bargy from both sides at set pieces, but Juve defenders were crossing the line tonight.

Juve had identified that one of Celtic's strengths was scoring from set pieces, they were crossing the line with their manhandling etc.. The powers that be simply can not allow that sort of so-called defending at set pieces. It was bordering on cheating. UEFA I'm sure will instruct refs to stamp it out. It's sh1te so-called "defending" that will ruin a huge element of the game as a spectacle. They can't allow it to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Lennonist wrote: »
    Listen Juventus won the game comprehensively, they are a wily experienced outfit and will progress comfortably in the tie. But I'd say UEFA will be taking a close look at the way the Juve defenders were operating in the penalty box at corners and set pieces. There's always a bit of argy bargy from both sides at set pieces, but Juve defenders were crossing the line tonight.

Juve had identified that one of Celtic's strengths was scoring from set pieces, they were crossing the line with their manhandling etc.. The powers that be simply can not allow that sort of so-called defending at set pieces. It was bordering on cheating. UEFA I'm sure will instruct refs to stamp it out. It's sh1te so-called "defending" that will ruin a huge element of the game as a spectacle. They can't allow it to continue.

Very subjective post. You don't really have much of a leg to stand on seeing as Hooper was trying to position himself to impede Buffon and that's why he was being "fouled" .

I agree they crossed the line but both sides were at it and if uefa are going to start cutting it out then they need consistency - not 2 yellows tonight and a penalty tomorrow night for the same thing.

In Serie A, touching the keeper is an immediate foul. Hooper was going at Buffon at every opportunity.
    It was a clash of two styles of defending corners, both got yellows cards, deservedly. Decent refereeing I'd say.

I wonder at what point does a Hooper push become a Lichsteiner drag? The push is allowed, but the drag isn't? Handbags, definitely not a peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I very much doubt if UEFA will give it as much as a second glance.

As an aside the wailing and crying in the commentary box about it was quite amusing. When Carragher or JT does it then its 'enforcing their physical presence' with the subtext that the fancy dan continentals don't like it up 'em.
    When a foreign defender make it clear that he can do the same thing equally well and isn't going to be bullied then suddenly its unfair and the game is apparently in disrepute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Hooper was trying to position himself to impede Buffon and that's why he was being "fouled" .
    He didn't touch Buffon once and is entitled to stand where he wants. Leichsteiner, on the other hand was also "trying to position himself to impede Buffon" Hooper and he succeeded everytime and got away with it everytime. It looked like Hooper got a yellow for allowing himself to be manhandled.

Lets see what the reaction is if RVP gets the same treatment tomorrow night, there'll be outrage.

Very subjective post. You don't really have much of a leg to stand on seeing as Hooper was trying to position himself to impede Buffon and that's why he was being "fouled" .

I agree they crossed the line but both sides were at it and if uefa are going to start cutting it out then they need consistency - not 2 yellows tonight and a penalty tomorrow night for the same thing.

Is it the case that if a team - like Celtic - develops a strength at set pieces, that the opposition to counteract that will just turn the penalty box into a scrum, in order to disrupt proceedings and a ref can't do anything about it? UEFA will have to instruct refs to deal with that sort of sh1te, they can't allow that to continue.

What was happening tonight was more than "they were both at it". Hooper is entitled to stand in front of Buffon, so long as he is not manhandling him. Juve were crossing the line, UEFA will have to stamp that sort of carry on out fairly quick. I think you'll find that they will - they have no choice. They can't allow every corner and free kick to turn into a melee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Juve played exactly how I expected them to.

Cattenaccio is alive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

It's always someone else's fault.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    He didn't touch Buffon once and is entitled to stand where he wants. Leichsteiner, on the other hand was also "trying to position himself to impede Buffon" Hooper and he succeeded everytime and got away with it everytime. It looked like Hooper got a yellow for allowing himself to be manhandled.

Lets see what the reaction is if RVP gets the same treatment tomorrow night, there'll be outrage.

Ahh come on! Hooper is entitled to stand where he wants, and he clearly wanted to stand on the exact same patch of ground that Lictsteiner was on. And ask yourself this, would hooper be dragged around as much if he had the ball at his feet and was one on one against Buffon? But it was the Italian team that cheats and trys to fool the ref :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Platini got his wish anyway, could have been less obvious about it though. Juve have the quality to beat us 3-0 in an honest fashion, that is the only reason I'm so annoyed at it. A complete and utter disgrace but that is "continental football" so we need to get used to it if we want to compete on that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't believe there should have been a penalty but I do think that Lichsteiner should have been sent off. Too many times he tried to move Hooper from where he had positioned himself and thats not allowed and its a yellow card. He got away with it an awful lot tonight.

• Advertisement

Platini got his wish anyway, could have been less obvious about it though. Juve have the quality to beat us 3-0 in an honest fashion, that is the only reason I'm so annoyed at it. A complete and utter disgrace but that is "continental football" so we need to get used to it if we want to compete on that stage.

You mean Platini fixed with a dodgy ref? LOL, this thread has officially turned into a joke!

In a way it's flattering. Despite being a far, far better team Juve knew we were a threat from set pieces so chose to throw our players into the net and bear hug them at every corner, even after being booked. But sure our players got booked for getting manhandled so the worst that could happen was both teams would get a man sent off.

Platini will be laughing that his goal-line refs pish didn't come into effect in the CL.

We've run our course and it's an amazing achievement to even be here, I'd just rather we were outplayed.

You mean Platini fixed with a dodgy ref? LOL, this thread has officially turned into a joke!
    No I mean he literally said Juve were as good as in the quarter finals about a month ago.

I very much doubt if UEFA will give it as much as a second glance.

As an aside the wailing and crying in the commentary box about it was quite amusing. When Carragher or JT does it then its 'enforcing their physical presence' with the subtext that the fancy dan continentals don't like it up 'em.
    When a foreign defender make it clear that he can do the same thing equally well and isn't going to be bullied then suddenly its unfair and the game is apparently in disrepute.

UEFA will deal with - they'll have to. They can't allow set pieces to turn into a melee with pulling and dragging all over the place. In the second half Brown and a different Juve defender were carded in the box. After they were booked and the corner was taken, the Juve defender clearly grabbed Brown twice with both hands around his waste. It was joke. UEFA will deal with alright.

Anybody here remember the pen that Niall Quinn got v Spain in the World Cup btw? There were 5 or 6 incidents like that tonight, and Juve were at it because they identified a threat from Celtic's set pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Somehow I knew at least one Celtic fan would find some evidence of 'cheating'.

It makes me wonder if you ever saw Italian teams 10 years ago.

Seriously? "Hooper is allowed to stand where he wants"?
    So is Lichtsteiner. So when Lichtsteiner puts his hands up and away on his sides and Hooper pushes him at Buffon, it's just Hooper doing what he is allowed to, and Lichtsteiner should not be there "impeding". Does this not seem at any way ridiculous to you?

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Somehow I knew at least one Celtic fan would find some evidence of 'cheating'.

It makes me wonder if you ever saw Italian teams 10 years ago.

How about 12 years ago :rolleyes:

We did not lose due to cheating. Like I said, Juve are a far far better team who have spent 6-7x what we have on players. They did not need to cheat but they did, in order to nullify our best attacking threat. If they hadn't cheated they'd most likely have still won and that's the only reason I'm annoyed.

To be fair I'd have loved if this happened to your mob so not having a pop at you at all.

snowblind wrote: »
    So is Lichtsteiner. So when Lichtsteiner puts his hands up and away on his sides and Hooper pushes him at Buffon, it's just Hooper doing what he is allowed to, and Lichtsteiner should not be there "impeding". Does this not seem at any way ridiculous to you?

That's exactly what I'm saying. Basically, Hooper should have been allowed push Lichtsteiner around without giving away a free for certain people to be happy.

Handbags is all it was, end of.

LOL, this thread has officially turned into a joke!

The Juve defending at set pieces was the joke. UEFA will have to deal with that sort of carry on and instruct refs to stamp it out, otherwise every set piece will be a joke. They can't let that happen and they wont.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Basically, Hooper should have been allowed push Lichtsteiner around without giving away a free for certain people to be happy.

Handbags is all it was, end of.

Did you not see the Juve defender bear hug Brown in the penalty box, after being booked? That can't and wont be allowed to continue. End of.

• Advertisement

The Juve defending at set pieces was the joke. UEFA will have to deal with that sort of carry on and instruct refs to stamp it out, otherwise every set piece will be a joke. They can't let that happen and they wont.

if celtic put some decent corners in they might have had some success, there was plenty of other space in the area apart from the two lads pushing each other to take advantage of.

Juventus outfoxed them all night and their class came through as the game went on, extremely professional performance

I disagree with most of this.

Uefa don't have to deal with it. They look out for their clubs in every match and they will continue to do so, nobody will or can stop them. And they will let it happen.

Even if it had been the other way around, in a parallel universe where an Italian team didn't get decisions in the CL, it's done and it's over. Wanting stuff to be done about it is like the FAI after Henry. They are cheats but they're also the victors. That's European football.

UEFA will have to deal with that sort of carry on and instruct refs to stamp it out, otherwise every set piece will be a joke. They can't let that happen and they wont.
    UEFA will deal with - they'll have to......

.....UEFA will deal with alright.
    UEFA will have to instruct refs to deal with that sort of sh1te, they can't allow that to continue.....

.....UEFA will have to stamp that sort of carry on out fairly quick.
    But I'd say UEFA will be taking a close look at the way the Juve defenders were operating in the penalty box at corners and set pieces......

......UEFA I'm sure will instruct refs to stamp it out. It's sh1te so-called "defending" that will ruin a huge element of the game as a spectacle. They can't allow it to continue.
    I think you're going to be severely disappointed with what UEFA do after this game.

snowblind wrote: »

Of course a player can stand wherever he wants in the pen box at a set piece - so long as he's not manhandling his opponent. Do you know the rules of the game at all?

I think you're going to be severely disappointed with what UEFA do after this game.

I don't expect any redress from tonights game if that's what you mean. However, I think you'll find that refs will be instructed to stamp out the sort of carry on that went on tonight. That will happen, no doubt about it.

Were you in Monroes tonight Lennonist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

Of course a player can stand wherever he wants in the pen box at a set piece - so long as he's not manhandling his opponent. Do you know the rules of the game at all?

Even if there's someone else standing there?

I disagree with most of this.

Uefa don't have to deal with it. They look out for their clubs in every match and they will continue to do so, nobody will or can stop them. And they will let it happen.

Even if it had been the other way around, in a parallel universe where an Italian team didn't get decisions in the CL, it's done and it's over. Wanting stuff to be done about it is like the FAI after Henry. They are cheats but they're also the victors. That's European football.

Dude the set pieces were a joke. I'm not expecting anything to be done retrospectively in relation to tonight's game - nor would I want that Juve won handy enough anyway - but I expect that refs will be instructed to stamp out the manhandling at set pieces that we saw tonight. Sure otherwise they'll all just do it and you'll never see a proper set piece again. Let's wait and see if other teams copy what Juve were doing tonight, then there will be a problem for UEFA to deal with.

Nothing will happen. This wasn't Madrid or Milan or Juve cheated out of a major part of the match. It doesn't even happen when English teams are on the receiving end, as much as I hate to admit it!

• Advertisement

Were you in Monroes tonight Lennonist?

No. Were you there yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

UEFA won't do anything about it.

Here's an example of shirt pulling that leads to a penalty from another game:
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/174/uefa-champions-league/2012/04/05/3015399/referee-broke-the-law-in-awarding-second-barcelona-penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

764dak wrote: »
    UEFA won't do anything about it.

Here's an example of shirt pulling that leads to a penalty from another game:
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/174/uefa-champions-league/2012/04/05/3015399/referee-broke-the-law-in-awarding-second-barcelona-penalty

Remember that game well and in fairness that was never a penalty. The foul was committed before the ball was even in play. Terrible, terrible decision. What happened tonight was worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Dude the set pieces were a joke. I'm not expecting anything to be done retrospectively in relation to tonight's game - nor would I want that Juve won handy enough anyway - but I expect that refs will be instructed to stamp out the manhandling at set pieces that we saw tonight. Sure otherwise they'll all just do it and you'll never see a proper set piece again. Let's wait and see if other teams copy what Juve were doing tonight, then there will be a problem for UEFA to deal with.
    Really manhandling in the box has been going on for years I would love to see it stamped out. But if you seriously think UEFA are going to look at that game tonight and suddenly decide to clamp down your deluded

I alluded to the FAI thing earlier for a reason. I don't want this to end up with a massive deal being made out of it. We don't have more of a right to be in the last 8 than Juve. They are cheats but we knew they would be. We knew they'd be allowed. Mascherano and Song should both have been sent off at Parkhead but those things don't happen to the big CL teams. That's how it is. We've done fantastic to get this far and our team and fans have been a credit to the competition. That is what we will be remembered for.

I hope we go for it in the away leg, I'd be delighted with a draw or win. And if Wanyama snaps their team in half /quiet voice :)
    No. Were you there yourself?
    Every week bud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What was happening was basically Hooper was trying to move around the box, maybe stand in front of Buffon, which is allowed, but everytime he got close to Buffon Lichtsteiner was there with his arms outstretched and not letting him pass, impeding him, yellow card. When the ball was played he would then grab a hold of Hooper, making sure he couldn't move or attack the ball. Should be a foul and another yellow card as he was continuing to impede Hooper. It's quite simple really and to say Hooper was doing it too is a bit silly as Hooper wants to get away from Lichtsteiner as he can't score when his body is literally being held down.

• Advertisement

Buffon was even shoving Lichensteiner into Hooper the sly aul dog. Some player all the same!

I thought Hooper did incredibly well to keep his composure. Wrestled around the place continuously despite constantly telling the referee, and then got booked for it. I think I'd have stabbed him in the bollocks.

By the referee's logic Wanyama should have broken Pirlo in half, because Pirlo would have been sent off for being involved :pac:

You nicely took this out of context. Why should Lichtsteiner not be allowed to stand where he was?

Look at it this way - and if you can respond, that would be great too:

Hooper tries to stand half an inch from Buffon at every corner. So, when the corner is given, Buffon won't have the chance to move that way. What should Lichtsteiner do, just move out of the way so that Hooper can do that and impede Buffon's movement? Would you be all "ah fair play" if your defender let Matri do that to your precious GK? When you are a defender, you don't let someone do that.

What should a defender do in such a situation, just shrug and stand away?

Really manhandling in the box has been going on for years I would love to see it stamped out. But if you seriously think UEFA are going to look at that game tonight and suddenly decide to clamp down your deluded

The manhandling in the pen box was ott tonight, would you not agree? They wont do anything because of tonights game. However if every team suddenly copied Juve's "tactics" at "defending" set pieces to the the extent that they operated tonight, then yeah they'd have to deal with it. They'd be deluding themselves otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If you couldn't see Liechsteiner and Padoin fouling players during corners then you genuinely must be blind.

Liam O wrote: »
    Hooper wants to get away from Lichtsteiner
    Didn't look like that to me at all, quite opposite! Even from the dozens of replays! Guess he wasn't trying to score, but to obstruct!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement