Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liver??

Options
  • 11-02-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

The OH wants to make liver and onions. Neither of us grew up eating liver and I don't think we have ever tried it, so excuse the stupid question, but when you are talking about liver is it lambs liver?? that's the only type I saw in the butcher. And does it taste like lamb (I'm not a fan)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You can get beef and I *think* pigs liver, I've only ever had lambs liver.

It's very nice if you lightly fry it which is the only way I've had it, with a thin coating of flour.

Doesn't taste like lamb at all imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Love a bit of liver, nothing like any meat you ever tasted.... (think foi grois ish)

Get some HP brown sauce to go with it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Had lambs liver yesterday 'twas gorgeous, you can get pork liver!!! Just rub in seasoned flour and fry high and quick tis lovely nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l hate lamb but love lamb liver! & kidney too...fried, yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Love lamb's liver. Coat it in flour and cook it with a nice red wine sauce or an onion gravy. Think I'm going to have that tomorrow. Yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Sala wrote: »
    The OH wants to make liver and onions. Neither of us grew up eating liver and I don't think we have ever tried it, so excuse the stupid question, but when you are talking about liver is it lambs liver?? that's the only type I saw in the butcher. And does it taste like lamb (I'm not a fan)

Lambs' liver is great. Calves' liver is even better - but very expensive. Pigs' liver isn't bad, but a poor relation when compared with the others. Ox liver is best kept for the dog!

Don't ignore chicken or duck livers either. Both are delicious.

Don't cook liver too long, or it's really only fit for soling a pair of shoes. I reckon about thirty seconds a side for thinly sliced liver is about right, but I like to see red. Much more than a couple of minutes, though, and it's not going to be all that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

I love liver, any type really. Making me hungry now. I agree though, coat it in a small bit of flour and season with salt and pepper and pop into the pan. Throw in some onions and when they're browning throw in some red wine for a lovely gravy. Serve with mashed spud and it's bloody gorgeous. One of my favourite things to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I have to disagree with nompere on just one point...

Ox liver is super. Granted, it has a stronger flavour, but is lovely baked with rashers & a very 'wet' stuffing mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

You can soak the liver in milk before cooking - I think I read somewhere that it purifies it, or maybe it just tenderises it.

Then lightly seasoned and pan fried as others have said.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lambs liver, for me the most tender -

Soak in Milk overnight to tenderise further, rinse it under water and dry with kitchen towel before cooking

2 tablespoons of olive oil or sunflower oil, whichever is your preference, into the pan

1 good knob of "real" butter into the pan

When melted and pan is nice and hot put in the liver and cook for 1-2 mins each side (I like liver pink in middle), when you turn the liver throw in a good handful of fresh parsely and serve.

Enjoy !

yum scrum

• Advertisement
Advertisement