Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS available for Win XP but not Win 7

Options
  • 11-02-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey, I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU just so my comp has a little more umphh to play HD videos and maybe a bit quicker to encode some vids. I originally had my PC bought with XP but upgraded to Win 7

I've read that you need the latest BIOS before upgrading CPU but when on the HP site I see that the latest BIOS available are only available under XP and nothing is available under Win 7. So would I have to downgrade to Win XP to update the BIOS before installing a new CPU or could I just live with the current BIOS and do a straight upgrade?

HP: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3214123

BIOS Version/Date: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.15, 23/06/2006

Under XP Version 3.19 is available

Motherboard: Asus
    Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
    HP/Compaq motherboard name: Emery2-UL8E

In case anyone is wondering or if it's more important, My current CPU is a Pentium D @ 3.20GHz and I'm thinking of upgrading to a core2 E6600+(if possible, don't think it is)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭klub44

BIOS update is not related to your operating system. Download this file and update (flash) it from bios itself no through dedicate windows program.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22 alrightiwill

klub44 wrote: »
    BIOS update is not related to your operating system. Download this file and update (flash) it from bios itself no through dedicate windows program.
    Cheers

Ah that's great to hear. Now I can spend time looking for new CPU's. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭klub44

Ah that's great to hear. Now I can spend time looking for new CPU's. Thanks!

Just double check your bios for flashing options, as a oem product, the bios may be "alterd" by HP. If so, you better test that board for new CPU before buy it.
    Cheers

Advertisement