Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The concept of pedestrianised streets

• 11-02-2013 7:33pm

Can someone please explain something to me? You know lower Thomas Street got all done up and got "pedestrianised". I took this to mean that you could walk unmolested around there. However there's still an irritating brown lane where cars come right up your arse...hang on doesn't "pedestrianised" mean no cars allowed? At least before I knew to look left and right....now I'm not sure if doing so will make me look like a gimp or not. And God knows whether that little lane between William and Thomas St is safe or not. Just thought I'd post this so when a local taxi driver reverses over me when I'm going to that nice Euroshop next to Brown Thomas that the Limerick Post/Leader journos will have a "like Cassandra he saw it coming but could do nothing about it" headline.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

wild guess is it's because the BT deliveries can only go there, therefore they couldn't just close it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

More than deliveries going up that lane, it's also a regular "rat run" for taxis. (Nothing ilegal in what they're doing btw, it's just so ridiculous in the context of how LCC harrumph! and clap themselves on the back about how they're making the city centre more pedestrian friendly.

As for Thomas St. "pedestrianisation", what a joke! whatever about deliveries it's now regularly used as a surrogate car park outside Aubar's, O'Connors and the Lebanese Restaurant so that pedestrians are then forced to walk along that brown surfaced part of it :rolleyes: the part which cars are allowed on.

Then again, it is Limerick City Council we're talking about here.

Wouldn't plan a good shlte between the lot of 'em, wait until the "pedestrian-friendly" riverside boardwalk opens and expect much of the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I always try and park in that lane in the spaces provided across from BT. I cant understand people parking on the path/road in that laneway though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Those spaces outside Aubars etc are a loading bay which is badly needed, if you cannot get delivery access all the business' on the street will close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

kilburn wrote: »
    Those spaces outside Aubars etc are a loading bay which is badly needed, if you cannot get delivery access all the business' on the street will close.

No problem with loading bays being used for that purpose or the fact that they are neccesary - although delivery times should be restricted to early morning/evening as happens in similar streets in, say, Dublin or on the Continent.

What irks me is when those spaces are being used by people too lazy to be bothered to park properly instead of shoving their car into those spaces.

Saw an instance of it last summer while having breakfast outside O'Connors when a 4x4 pulled up outside Aubar's blocking pedestrian access to the footpath. Driver and companion casually sat down a few metres away and had their morning coffees or whatever. Although I'm sure had a traffic warden appeared he'd have been up like a shot and opened the backdoor claiming to be making a delivery.

Mind you, nothing unusual about that in respect of 4x4 owners, maybe it's a show-off thing, a legacy of the the unlamented Tiger perhaps:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement