Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Trail Series 2013

• 11-02-2013 7:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭

The 2013 series kicks off on Sat 23rd Feb in Marlay Park, Rathfarnham with 4 and 8k options

Race 2 ( 4 & 8k options) - Sat 16th March in St Anne’s Park, Raheny

Race 3 (5.25 & 10.5k options)- Sat 20th April in Tymon Park, Tempelogue

Long race starts at 11.00 and short race at 11.25

Distances are approximate as we could have to make a late course change due to prevailing ground conditions to minimise damage to trails

Shorter races in particular are aimed at new/ novice runners and we encourage faster / regular club runners to do the longer race where possible.

Link to thread and poll for 2012 series here

Full event details on www.urbantrailsireland.com or you can e-mail me at info@urbantrailsireland.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I have entered the Marlay Park race. It's my first ever race of any kind or of any distance but I have still opted for the 8K race instead of the 4K - I am used to running 8K three times a week so I should be able to do it without a need for an ambulance at the end. :D

Having never done anything like this before, I don't really know what it'll be like in terms of atmosphere, compeditivness etc. But looking forward to finding out. I'd imagine it will be quite hard to get into a proper stride for the first couple of kilometers!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

Shouldn't take quite that long to get into a stride. Start in the right place (compare last years times to your expected time) and you should be up and running ( :( ) soon enough. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

Did run last year in marlay and hoped to do same this year but injury preventing me from taking part. Really enjoyed last years run and must say was very well organised with plenty of refreshments available afterwards. Good weather helped also.

Look forward to hear from here how people get on.

Can you give us an idea of how many people are expected for both races OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Can you give us an idea of how many people are expected for both races OP?

Should be about 2/3 doing long race based on previous years.
    The course is selected to give wider tracks in the opening km so the field should be able to get into a somewhat natural order.

Likely to be close on 800 entries and with dry sunny forecast expecting 700 odd to turn up.

Entries close at midnight tonight and there will be no registration on the day

• Advertisement

Good run this morning.
    Excellent organization.
    Well done to all who put it together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Good run this morning.
    Excellent organization.
    Well done to all who put it together.

+1 very well organised and very enjoyable - luckily the snow held off for it too!

Good run. Really nice route and as usual great organisation from Paul Mahon et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

yes great race really enjoyed it, however if was more 9km than 8km ;). do you have the actual distance just to compare to my ipod.

looking forward to the others.

Thanks

YESROH wrote: »
    yes great race really enjoyed it, however if was more 9km than 8km ;). do you have the actual distance just to compare to my ipod.

looking forward to the others.

Thanks
    The loop was advertised on the day as 4.4km, and my Garmin came to around the 8.8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Pictures of last Saturday run in Marlay Park here: http://www.actionphotography.ie/events-2013-UTS-1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Can anyone who has done the St. Anne's Park run previously give an idea of what the non-path parts of the route might be like? I've only ever done road races before so I'd be curious to know what to expect :)

Also, upon sign-up there's an option to get a t-shirt for an extra €8 - does anyone know what these are like, i.e. are they technical t-shirts or normal cotton, what colour, etc? Don't want to spend extra money unless they are decent quality. Thanks!

jennyq wrote: »
    Can anyone who has done the St. Anne's Park run previously give an idea of what the non-path parts of the route might be like? I've only ever done road races before so I'd be curious to know what to expect :)

Also, upon sign-up there's an option to get a t-shirt for an extra €8 - does anyone know what these are like, i.e. are they technical t-shirts or normal cotton, what colour, etc? Don't want to spend extra money unless they are decent quality. Thanks!

St Anne's route tends to be lots of twists and turns on a variety of surfaces but less likely to be as mucky as the other parks particularly as some of the trails we use have recently been turned in to "Buggy friendly" ones".
    If looking to be at the serious competition end of thing then trail shoes are recommended but if, as with most Urban Trails participants, you are going there to enjoy a nice race with nice people then your regular shoes should be ok.

Personally I think it is good idea to have a couple of different pairs of shoes worn in for use on road, trails and then some mud friendly sorts for more extreme conditions tho St Anne's will not require these :)!
    Good griping shoes off-road may weigh a few grams more than lighter road shoes but they do give confidence off road and leave you less likely to injure yourself :(

The St Anne's route this year will be slightly longer than in previous year's (~4.25km/lap Vs usual 4km) to fit in with Park Supervisor's request to have the start and finish area on the central road.

Tees are Tech Type with specific women's sizing and fit
    Men's are black with red text and ladies red with black text

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭lc180

Just double checking there is a bag drop at the run in St Annes this saturday?

Cheers

lc180 wrote: »
    Just double checking there is a bag drop at the run in St Annes this saturday?

Cheers

Yes - Preferably only keys to be left in but we will take reasonably sized bags.

All must be labeled with race number (labels provided) but we can't take individual items of clothing unless in a bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Excuseless wrote: »

St Anne's route tends to be lots of twists and turns on a variety of surfaces but less likely to be as mucky as the other parks particularly as some of the trails we use have recently been turned in to "Buggy friendly" ones".
    If looking to be at the serious competition end of thing then trail shoes are recommended but if, as with most Urban Trails participants, you are going there to enjoy a nice race with nice people then your regular shoes should be ok.

Personally I think it is good idea to have a couple of different pairs of shoes worn in for use on road, trails and then some mud friendly sorts for more extreme conditions tho St Anne's will not require these :)!
    Good griping shoes off-road may weigh a few grams more than lighter road shoes but they do give confidence off road and leave you less likely to injure yourself :(

The St Anne's route this year will be slightly longer than in previous year's (~4.25km/lap Vs usual 4km) to fit in with Park Supervisor's request to have the start and finish area on the central road.

Tees are Tech Type with specific women's sizing and fit
    Men's are black with red text and ladies red with black text

Thanks a mill for that :) good to hear my normal shoes will do grand.

Does anyone know if there are any shower facilities at St Anne's Park that race entrants will be able to use after?

jennyq wrote: »

Does anyone know if there are any shower facilities at St Anne's Park that race entrants will be able to use after?

Afraid no showers there though the brave few may venture down to Dollymount for a refreshing dip in the sea :eek:

Provisional Results now up at www.urbantrailsireland.com
    All timing queries to uts@redtagtiming.com

Photos on Outfront's facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

Enjoyed the race thanks. We where lucky with the weather.

Entry list now up at Event website for tomorrow's race at Tymon Park.

We have secured great race parking at the National Basketball arena which is only a few mins jog from race sign on area - Follow signs from M50 Junction 11 (Tallaght).

We will allow entry on morning until 10.15am

Weather looking like a balmy 13deg C :)

• Advertisement

Lovely weather for this morning's race in Tymon :cool:

Provisional Results and first batch of race photos now up on Outfront FB Page with lots more pics to follow later from Action Photography :D

Any timing queries to uts@redtagtiming.com

Advertisement