Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring starting already

Options
  • 11-02-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

Just noticed Sycamore buds bursting along with Hawthorn, early spring.:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Oldtree wrote: »
    Just noticed Sycamore buds bursting along with Hawthorn, early spring.:D

I was only just saying this on another gardening thread.

Its great to see everything bursting into life.:)

Robins and blackbirds flying around the garden and chirping away....absolute bliss.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i saw some trees in bud today, not sure of the species though - but they'd be fairly recently planted dublin city council ones, so i suspect cherry of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

paddy147 wrote: »

I was only just saying this on another gardening thread.

Its great to see everything bursting into life.:)

Robins and blackbirds flying around the garden and chirping away....absolute bliss.:D
    gorgeous white blossoms along a lot of back roads this week..anybody know what its called?im guessing hawthorn?

Maudi wrote: »
    gorgeous white blossoms along a lot of back roads this week..anybody know what its called?im guessing hawthorn?

Id say so.

Some hawthorn on the sides of the back roads around Malahide and Donabate just starting to flower..also on the sides of the M1 up near the Apple Green service stations

This winter has been a rather wet and mild one overall,and so too the spring so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I noticed the daffodils are starting to grow quite a bit on the green in front of our house.
    Also, I've noticed a few of my own plants starting to sprout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Maudi wrote: »
    might be blackthorn (prunus) as hawthorn leaf buds just opening now. hawthorn would usually flower in mayish, thus mayflower. My cherries havnt started yet, and paddy you are right about the birds, what a lovely din yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Was hoping to plant bare root hawthorn this weekend but back of garden is too wet. Sounds likes ill be too late by next weekend so :(

Lots of flowers and shrubs starting to burst open up in the Botanical Gardens.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

paddy147 wrote: »
    Lots of flowers and shrubs starting to burst open up in the Botanical Gardens.:)

There sure are, lovely place to go for a stroll.

The Rhododendrons are starting to flower and the Daphne flowers smell fantastic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Coll1e

km79 wrote: »
    Was hoping to plant bare root hawthorn this weekend but back of garden is too wet. Sounds likes ill be too late by next weekend so :(

No still plenty of time to plant bare root hawthorn. The white flower in the hedges at the moment is Blackthorn. It flowers on bare stems before it comes into leaf.

• Advertisement

Yep,I think alot of Dublin folk dont realize what they have sitting right on their doorstep,with regards the Botanic Gardens.

Even on a misty rainy day like today..its a wonderfull place to visit.:)

Eating my breakfast while sitting by the window and looking out at the birds hopping around the garden,is a nice way to start the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Daffs, snowdrops, crocues and tulips are all appearing in my garden. The cherry tree looks close to coming into leaf, same with the hydrangea.

Advertisement