Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New roof & property tax

Options
  • 11-02-2013 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭

So the back story is this, living in an extension at the back of an old cottage, the roof caught fire last night, it's a flat roof, but there's not much left of it, also we're a bit stuck for space so I suggested a pitched roof to the family, everyone was all for it except the aunt, who is the owner of the cottage, saying it'l effect the property tax and such, basically trying to put us off.

So would she be right? or is it nonsense

Also if this is the wrong place for it please feel free to move it mods

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As the query is relating to property tax I think the Accommodation & Property forum might be a better home for it (I just love the puns :D)

Moved from C & P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

So the back story is this, living in an extension at the back of an old cottage, the roof caught fire last night, it's a flat roof, but there's not much left of it, also we're a bit stuck for space so I suggested a pitched roof to the family, everyone was all for it except the aunt, who is the owner of the cottage, saying it'l effect the property tax and such, basically trying to put us off.

So would she be right? or is it nonsense

Also if this is the wrong place for it please feel free to move it mods

It will not add a value to the property (ie a roof is a roof especially when its part if an extension)

It would have to have substantial added value in order to effect property tax as the tax is set out in bands and you would beed to change bands. That is simply not going to happen by changing a flat roof to a pitched roof on an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It won't have any real effect - a roof is a roof. A pitched roof increase the value of the property by a tiny amount. you are then only taxed on 0.18% of that tiny about. Even if it managed to increase the value of the property by an entire category, you are only looking at a jump of €90 per year.

Note however that most insurance companies are taking dim views of flat roofs - some will even refuse to quote if it is more than a certain percentage of the whole roof. The loading on the insurance policy might be much more than the €90.

Advertisement