Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

720 Rumoured Specs....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

COYVB wrote: »
    Why should it carry over? Are you happy enough to buy a console that's hamstrung by the need to be backwards compatible? Because I'm certainly not.

I have an Xbox 360 and a PS3. If I want to play games for those systems, I'll play them on those systems, just like if I want to play games on SNES or MegaDrive I'll use those systems.

There's a trade off here, you get backwards compatibility, or you get new technology that's free of the shackles to run 7 year old games. That's the bottom line. Which do you want?

Or you could just include a SOC that's basically the last device, such as sony did with the very first PS3s. Cost is the thing though, I'm sure both companies are far more price sensitive now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Or you could just include a SOC that's basically the last device, such as sony did with the very first PS3s. Cost is the thing though, I'm sure both companies are far more price sensitive now.

It's added cost and it's making concessions. Neither of which are reasonable to be demanding from a hardware manufacturer.

Why is this a big thing anyway? Are people going to throw away their old 360s? It's not like they'll get more than a few quid trading them in or selling them at this stage, so I'd imagine the vast majority will be keeping them. That's why this whole BC thing baffles me so much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭andymurphy93

It's added cost and it's making concessions. Neither of which are reasonable to be demanding from a hardware manufacturer.

Why is this a big thing anyway? Are people going to throw away their old 360s? It's not like they'll get more than a few quid trading them in or selling them at this stage, so I'd imagine the vast majority will be keeping them. That's why this whole BC thing baffles me so much

il be trading in my xbox for money towards a new console :D
    probably only get 40quid for it at most but hay a little is alot in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

You'd be better off just putting away 91 cent every week between now and christmas so you will have your 40 quid towards a new xbox720.

40 quid and no Xbox 360 games or save the 40 quid yourself and retain that functionality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Why should it carry over? Are you happy enough to buy a console that's hamstrung by the need to be backwards compatible? Because I'm certainly not.

I have an Xbox 360 and a PS3. If I want to play games for those systems, I'll play them on those systems, just like if I want to play games on SNES or MegaDrive I'll use those systems.

There's a trade off here, you get backwards compatibility, or you get new technology that's free of the shackles to run 7 year old games. That's the bottom line. Which do you want?

shackles, lol, it's not like BC will hinder the console, it can be an additional feature. The only way it can hinder the new console is cost and we all know that if it doesn't make financial sense, it will be dropped.

I would prefer BC and more so, my digital content I've purchased already on LIVE, to carry over to a new console. If they do that, I'm more likely to continue my loyalty to Xbox and LIVE.

If they don't, I'm more likely to leave to Playstation or PC.

That's my bottom line.

BC WILL hinder the console, that's the point. people seem to think it's something that they just enable by default or something

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I can see why physical discs might pose a problem but surely the digital content could be transferred over?

It'd be nice to be able to play Minecraft, San Andreas etc on the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I have no interest in BC. If I want to play Super Mario World ill take down the SNES. If I want to play Crash 1 ill take down the PS1, if I want to play Manhunt or GTA III ill take down the ps2 and similarly if I want to play Bioshock ill take down the 360.

San Andreas looked horrible on the 360 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Same here, absolutely no interest in backwards compatibility. If you wanna play 360 games, use your 360. Software BC/emulation is horrible anyway...& hardware BC as we seen with the NTSC PS3's, is expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A game being bought on digitally does not make it any different to the retail disc version, if one can't run then they both can't run.

If there's no BC then MS could port or remake some content and have some means for users to upgrade either for free or at a cost (as they know who owns what) but just being digital does not mean it will run without a lot of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Varik wrote: »
    A game being bought on digitally does not make it any different to the retail disc version, if one can't run then they both can't run.

If there's no BC then MS could port or remake some content and have some means for users to upgrade either for free or at a cost (as they know who owns what) but just being digital does not mean it will run without a lot of work.

Is this generation the first 'big' jump, where the old console could have a lot of digital content on it thas possibly unuseable on the successor console?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I don't care for BC either tbh. I will just buy another new Xbox in a year or 2 when they are cheap, just so I can replay my big collection of xbox games in the future should I want too.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is this generation the first 'big' jump, where the old console could have a lot of digital content on it thas possibly unuseable on the successor console?
    it's the first generation where a console could hvae a lot of digital content full stop really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Tinie wrote: »
    I don't care for BC either tbh. I will just buy another new Xbox in a year or 2 when they are cheap, just so I can replay my big collection of xbox games in the future should I want too.

Its just a pity that in 10 years time when I want to replay Mass Effect 1 yet again the odds on an Xbox 360 working are far,far lower than that of a Snes or a Megadrive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

GTR63 wrote: »
    Its just a pity that in 10 years time when I want to replay Mass Effect 1 yet again the odds on an Xbox 360 working are far,far lower than that of a Snes or a Megadrive.

Well thats why im going to buy a brand new one, and keep my old many year old used one also, but never unbox the new one, unless the old one breaks. I'm sure they will be going for €99-150 new in a year or two.

But yeah, hopefully the 720 has better quality build and not as prone to failure as the 360 was. Microsoft will surely have learned their lesson from the RROD.

I hope the leave out the red lights after the xbox 360 3 red lights fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

BC WILL hinder the console, that's the point. people seem to think it's something that they just enable by default or something

how exactly did BC hinder the PS2 or DS, both of which were wildly successful? If MS can pull it off with minimal cost to the new machine, it will to be their benefit to do so sales-wise.

Do I have to pull up some of the comments from the PS4 thread? While excited about the new machine, some people are disappointed that their PSN content won't be carrying over. Go on, look.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    how exactly did BC hinder the PS2 or DS, both of which were wildly successful? If MS can pull it off with minimal cost to the new machine, it will to be their benefit to do so sales-wise.

Do I have to pull up some of the comments from the PS4 thread? While excited about the new machine, some people are disappointed that their PSN content won't be carrying over. Go on, look.

It hindered what they could do in terms of new hardware. If you want to make a system backwards compatible via hardware, you have to make serious, serious concessions in what you are able to do on that front. What's the point in that? That essentially puts BC as the focal point of the system, rather than something that should only be added if it's not going to impact anything.

Going from Cell to the new system for the PS4 meant that BC wasn't an option. The same is likely with the hardware move on the next Xbox. Would you rather they put in the same architecture, but just bumped up specs, potentially restricting the shelf life of the system?

I'm well aware that people are disappointed, but they're ignorant to the fact of why it's not being done. They're assuming it's that Sony just doesn't want to do it, as opposed to the fact that Sony wants to deliver the best possible system, future proofed and ready to last as long as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Phoenix wrote: »
    When is Microsoft going to officially announce details of the new Xbox system?E3?

End of March/early April, followed by full unveiling at E3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

it's the first generation where a console could hvae a lot of digital content full stop really
    Is it just me, or does anyone else see the current huge Games on Demand sale as a potential 'stress testing' exercise for Microsoft to see that their infrastructure can handle a huge upsurge in downloads for full games (and to see how 'Steam-style' price reductions would work for Xbox).

Useful information for them to know, if a new console was really going to be pushing for digital downloads as a main distribution channel, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the current huge Games on Demand sale as a potential 'stress testing' exercise for Microsoft to see that their infrastructure can handle a huge upsurge in downloads for full games (and to see how 'Steam-style' price reductions would work for Xbox).

Useful information for them to know, if a new console was really going to be pushing for digital downloads as a main distribution channel, eh?
    If I can get games as good as Rainbow 6 Vegas for €3 on a regular basis, I'm all for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

BC isn't a thing I really care for to be honest, the only game I needed to be BC going from Xbox to 360 was Halo 2, and it worked flawlessly, it was the only game BC I played right up until the day 3 came out....

Now in the position we are in with the 360 and the 720 coming out there isn't really any game I can see myself still playing from this "generation" going into the next, maybe with the exception of GTA V but hopefully I will have that all finished up by the time the successor comes along....

And being a big Bungie fan I think I will buy Destiny for the PS4 or next gen Xbox as opposed to the release on the current machines....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Meesared wrote: »
    If I can get games as good as Rainbow 6 Vegas for €3 on a regular basis, I'm all for it!
    Amen ... Picked that up myself :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Probably will be the same way as the Wii U "doesn't have" a blu ray drive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Aye, but how reliable are these "inside source" rumour sites.

It'll have a blu-ray drive that's not capable of playing blu-ray movies, just like the Wii U

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    Aye, but how reliable are these "inside source" rumour sites.

In this case, very

Advertisement