Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple TV Problems

• 11-02-2013 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Hoping someone can help with problems I've been having with my ATV2.
    I'm signed up with Playmo TV - it's a service that allows you to access the US version of Netflix. Works fine on my laptop and PS3 and I recently changed the DNS settings on my ATV too. Seemed to work fine at first, but I then tried to set up the Home Sharing function.
    I don't think the ATV liked that it was an Irish itunes account but DNS settings were US. All the menu functions on the ATV dropped off - only 'Computers' and 'Settings' were available.
    So I tried to reset to just go back to Irish settings - I'm happy to work off the PS3 and Laptop for US Netflix.
    This doesn't seem to have worked either - still just 'Computers' and 'Settings' available on the menu. It won't allow me to do a restore as it tries to update the software first - but each time it does I get an error message saying that it can't access latest software at this time.
    DNS settings are back to 'Automatic'.

Any ideas on what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The home screen missing all the icons is because the ATV can't connect to the internet.

Playmo.tv seems to be acting up a bit recently, their own site is going down a bit corresponding to their DNS also not working.

I only use the Playmo DNS on my ATV, my router is still set to the Google DNS.

So if I switch the ATV back to Automatic it reconnects to the internet and repopulates the home screen. Netflix reverts to Irish version though obviously until you re-enter the Playmo DNS (when you see that their website is back working).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

mailforkev wrote: »
    The home screen missing all the icons is because the ATV can't connect to the internet.

Playmo.tv seems to be acting up a bit recently, their own site is going down a bit corresponding to their DNS also not working.

I only use the Playmo DNS on my ATV, my router is still set to the Google DNS.

So if I switch the ATV back to Automatic it reconnects to the internet and repopulates the home screen. Netflix reverts to Irish version though obviously until you re-enter the Playmo DNS (when you see that their website is back working).

Yep - seems to be a problem connecting to internet all right, even though the ATC can see my router and shows a strong signal strength.

I'll have a go this evening with your suggestion - Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Did you get this working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Just as an alternative, I use smart dns. Its provided by overplay.net and it works for any country, so you basically put their dns setting into your device and it will tell any particular website that you are visiting from their country. For example, I get bbc iPlayer, Us netflix and I can use ADMC which is a football streaming site in Abu Dhabi.
    It's not like a vpn so there is no delay connecting and I still get full download speed.

rether than entering the dns into all my devices, I just enter the dns into my upc router and then everyone who connects gets all access without geo restriction, you can also choose whatever netflix location you want on the overplay website, UK, US, Canada etc

$4.95 per month.
    I use the bbc, itv and channel 4 players on my atv2 through xbmc. Oh yeah, Hulu works too. basically everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

That sounds brilliant - excuse my ignorance but how do you go about entering the dns into the upc (or other) router ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Zucker

jarvis wrote: »
    Just as an alternative, I use smart dns. Its provided by overplay.net and it works for any country, so you basically put their dns setting into your device and it will tell any particular website that you are visiting from their country. For example, I get bbc iPlayer, Us netflix and I can use ADMC which is a football streaming site in Abu Dhabi.
    It's not like a vpn so there is no delay connecting and I still get full download speed.

rether than entering the dns into all my devices, I just enter the dns into my upc router and then everyone who connects gets all access without geo restriction, you can also choose whatever netflix location you want on the overplay website, UK, US, Canada etc

$4.95 per month.
    I use the bbc, itv and channel 4 players on my atv2 through xbmc. Oh yeah, Hulu works too. basically everything.

Was wondering what Premiership games stream on the ADMC site, is it the same games Sky show or is it the 3pm kick-offs also.

I am using Unblock-US which allows me to view ESPN 3 on Apple TV thanks to AirPlay and they show the 12:45 on Sat and 8:00 Monday Games for free.

Kace wrote: »
    That sounds brilliant - excuse my ignorance but how do you go about entering the dns into the upc (or other) router ?

The method varies from router to router and I'm in work at the minute so can't verify but I will check later and post my router and how to configure if you can't find anything in google.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

i use unodns same found Unlock.us to be unreliable but def setting up your router is far handier than individual devices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

That depends if you want all your devices to use a US IP all the time.

Zucker wrote: »

Was wondering what Premiership games stream on the ADMC site, is it the same games Sky show or is it the 3pm kick-offs also.

I am using Unblock-US which allows me to view ESPN 3 on Apple TV thanks to AirPlay and they show the 12:45 on Sat and 8:00 Monday Games for free.

ADMC is excellent. They show every single premier league game live so you have a choice of all the Saturday games that sky don't have plus every game that sky do have. They own the rights to epl for their region. I use it on my iPad and AirPlay to atv2 and the quality is absolutely excellent. And all commentary is in English.
    There's a thread in here with all instructions on how to do it. It costs $60 at the start of the season and gets cheaper as there's fewer games to go. At the monument it's $22 for the remainder of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

i dont have an ATV, but i do the same on my ipad, to watch bbc iplayer, and netflix, and it works fine, so i dont think its how it is clashing with your irish itunes account as mine is working fine, but like i said this is on iPad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

BostonB wrote: »
    Did you get this working?

It's working now. I've home sharing turned off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have a related question: Excuse my ignorance on this but I'm new to all this Aple TV stuff :D

Is there an alternative 'generic' option to the Apple TV device on the market?

All I need is Youtube/Netrflix + associated options, nothing as fancy or expensive as the Apple TV box.
    I don't even need the wi-fi option, just a basic box to view Youtube on my TV via an Ethernet/LAN lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Some blueray dvd players do this.

Advertisement