Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Butchers?

• 11-02-2013 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭

Bought a half pound of mince, half pound of stewing beef,4 lamb rack chops,and 5 chicken fillets today for about €19.
    They gotta be rubbing their hands at all the horsey stuff going on.

So...are you going back to the local butchers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I never left :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I never left :rolleyes:

So you're the infamous Butcher stalker. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

staker wrote: »

Fúck yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Wouldn't dream of buying fresh meat elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Never left either so to speak. I'll gladly shop for veg, sauces and other items in the supermarket (online technically but anyway).

However, I've always bought my meat in a butchers, don't plan on changing either as the one local to me is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Ah yeah, I loves Bianca and the kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Bought a half pound of mince.....

How do you know where they get their stuff from? Isn't this the problem we're having? Processed Irish meat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I've always gone to the butcher's. Economy burgers are a lottery imo. As are pretty much all pre-packaged convenience foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I know there's know horse in my burgers at the butchers.

He used to sell Kangaroo though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The only meat I buy outside of my butchers is Lidl steaks, and they're as good as from the butchers imo. Not all that much cheaper either for the better cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

squod wrote: »
    How do you know where they get their stuff from? Isn't this the problem we're having? Processed Irish meat?

He assures me it's his own produce... Whether that includes sawdust from the floor remains to be seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Go to your local butchers or we will end up like america where supermarket meat is all bought from the same 4 suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Supermarket meat tastes orrible I'm just after eating some should have put it under my shoes with a few nails
    Go to your local butchers or we will end up like america where supermarket meat is all bought from the same 4 suppliers.

Yep huge corporate owned factory farms in the middle of nowhere with corn brought in from all over in lorries and a couple of robots thrown in to help manage the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Open your mouth and ask him, he'll be glad to help you out.... the packets on the shelves in the large multiples wont answer and instead actually hide their point of origin..

Our butcher kills his own animals down the back yard...

bbam wrote: »

That sounds a bit dodgy to me. I think I'd prefer at least one port of independent quality control along the way!

http://www.emirates247.com/crime/region/butcher-slaughters-wife-to-sell-her-flesh-as-meat-2012-06-18-1.463417

That sounds a bit dodgy to me. I think I'd prefer at least one port of independent quality control along the way!

http://www.emirates247.com/crime/region/butcher-slaughters-wife-to-sell-her-flesh-as-meat-2012-06-18-1.463417

Nope..
    All certs and inspection results up in the shop..
    And I know the guy, its a long standing traditional butcher shop built on returning long standing customers..

The problem is the public were trusting the large multi-millionaire processors and supermarkets and turning their backs on the local traditional butchers.. Its no surprise that the former make their money from packaging up the dregs of the industry from round the EU and serving it up on their shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Does anyone else feel kind of dirty when asking for meat using the metric system? Don't get me wrong, I'm no luddite, but the butchers seems to be the last bastion of imperial units....why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

woodoo wrote: »

The cows.
    The chickens.
    The pigs.
    The lambs.

:pac:

Nope..
    And I know the guy, its a long standing traditional butcher shop built on returning long standing customers..

The problem is the public were trusting the large multi-millionaire processors and supermarkets and turning their backs on the local traditional butchers.. Its no surprise that the former make their money from packaging up the dregs of the industry from round the EU and serving it up on their shelves.

Ah I know, I was only takin' the piss :)

Though to be fair, some supermarkets do their best to source local produce where possible. I mentioned the steaks from Lidl earlier.. they really are of top quality.. obviously those supplying to them are going to be much larger and better off than most producers. The same can be said about those supplying to the bigger 'traditional' butchers too though, albeit to a lesser degree.

It's a pity that so much red-tape and regulations exist to prevent more butchers from slaughtering their own livestock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Nope..

I bet there was all types of certs and inspection results with the supermarket burgers also..

V hard to trust anyone, who knows what the cattle are being given...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Nice to hear that one of the last main street suppliers will (hopefully) make some kind of comeback.

There really is no comparison in Tesco/A.N.other Supermarkets meats than the local butchers tbh. Bought a couple of really good sirloiins from my local butcher on Saturday. €8 for the two of them, prob an inch and a half thick.

I find the ones in the supermarkets to be too thin to cook properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

spankysue wrote: »

Ah yeah, I loves Bianca and the kids

Oi you slagggg, while us Mitchels are about you go and do as you're told or you'll visit dopey Rickayyyyyy at the bottom of the Thames.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

I was speaking to my local butcher's wife, and she said 'they were lucky to find trace of any meat in those burgers for 25cent a piece':)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I was speaking to my local butcher's wife, and she said 'they were lucky to find trace of any meat in those burgers for 25cent a piece':)

Of course she did, I met the local butchers gardner and he said that the burgers had jack Russell paws and pigeon heads in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Of course she did, I met the local butchers gardner and he said that the burgers had jack Russell paws and pigeon heads in them.
    No horse though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

there's a lad in my local butchers that is absolutely gorgeous. I think he's the owner's son. I can never think of anything clever to say when I'm in there...

How do you flirt when you're ordering a pound of steak mince and six chops please?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

phasers wrote: »
    there's a lad in my local butchers that is absolutely gorgeous. I think he's the owner's son. I can never think of anything clever to say when I'm in there...

How do you flirt when you're ordering a pound of steak mince and six chops please?

Throw in a nice sausage for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Not all butchers are created equal. Plenty of them are supplying pretty poor products under the guise of being a 'craft butcher'. Anywhere you see a tray of suspiciously white chicken breasts on sale at six for a tenner is no better than the muck they sell in Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You need to eat more sausages. ;)

edit: dammit loopy! Spent too long thinking about chicken/cock and stuffing innuendos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sergeant wrote: »
    Not all butchers are created equal. Plenty of them are supplying pretty poor products under the guise of being a 'craft butcher'. Anywhere you see a tray of suspiciously white chicken breasts on sale at six for a tenner is no better than the muck they sell in Tesco.
    Six for a tenner seems a bit dear? Most butchers around here do 10 for a tenner and the quality seems good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Any large bones to go with that while giving him a wink! He'll cream his pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Sergeant wrote: »

I would've said they dropped prices to meet the competition's price.Better quality than Tesco/Whoever but obviously not top quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Got a fantastic belly of pork to roast from my butcher last weekend, delicious lamb chops Saturday and some mince beef today. Great meat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Because good butchers dont buy in mince, they buy a whole or half cow (or slaughter the own if they are really good) and break it down themselves or else buy large primal cuts and mince them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Pics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

In fairness thats a pretty decent deal you got there!

Our butchers counter charges
    5 euro half pound of mine
    6 euro half pound stewing beef
    4 rack lamb chops 8 euro(minimum)
    5 chicken fillets 5 euros

So, 24 euro total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I hope we never have to get our meat in super markets.
    I wish we had a market culture here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

My local (Dutch) butcher sells horsemeat, but it's advertised and priced as such. I use it and the local halal butchers too. The halal butchers sells harder to find meats here like turkey and goat and when I order the likes of minced lamb they grab a hunk of lamb and mince it fresh in front of me.

I've always got my meat from butchers, the crap they keep in those plastic trays with the meat sanitary pads in them in supermarkets is incomparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

'There's nothing I like more than having a big piece of meat in me'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just show him your clunge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

The best meat is in the rump *wink*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

"Lob your meat at me please?"

:o:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Thought this was a thread about Lenny Murphy, wide collar shirts, flared trousers and dead taigs !:D

I've always got my meat from butchers, the crap they keep in those plastic trays with the meat sanitary pads in them in supermarkets is incomparable.

Oh good god.

I'll never be able to walk down a meat aisle again without all kinds of ugly mental pictures. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭Bad Santa

As a child I used to weep in butcher's shops.

I bet there was all types of certs and inspection results with the supermarket burgers also..

V hard to trust anyone, who knows what the cattle are being given...

Well I have a vested interest as I farm both beef on a small commercial scale and a little pork for my own table.. I've worked extensively in farming related businesses too.

Cattle in Ireland are not injected wildly, drugs are very strictly controlled and farm inspections focus on medicines and records of administration..

I know lads that bring finished cattle into the factories and they wouldn't chance bringing cattle in within the time recommended on the medicines..

I'm not saying no messing goes on, but its a very, very small minority who would be involved.. The fear and shame of conviction is a big thing for farmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Open your mouth and ask him, he'll be glad to help you out.... the packets on the shelves in the large multiples wont answer and instead actually hide their point of origin..

The butcher I use has a dozen or more staff per shop, a handful of shops and sells a lot of mince. Doesn't mince it himself like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Cant beat the butchers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

becasue a GOOD butcher will get full carcass in , and they will make the cuts on site , this included mince meat

so unless the butcher is blind he might notice its a horse and not a cow/sheep being delivered

they pre packed meat in the supermarkets is always a grey color , should be bright red , as it is from my great butchers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Never left the butchers. They're generally cheaper than the supermarkets anyway, for everything except whole chickens (and even then the quality is better as they're not in a plastic tray wrapped in cellophane). Not all butchers are equal, but it's not that hard to find a good quality one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement