Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options
  • 11-02-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Hi all, with all the doom and gloom about and shops and business's closing is there any hope for the people of waterford? is there anything to cheer us up in the way of positive news or jobs coming or anything that would make people cheer up a bit?

I heard on WLR that theres suppose to be a major jobs announcement soon for waterford, theres also that plant that got planning permission in belview(although that is technically in Kilkenny)

Is there any other news that people can share to give hope for others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I have heard of amajor announcement due this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Chiparus wrote: »
    I have heard of amajor announcement due this month.

You have heard of it? or heard there will be? i think thats the same thing ive been hearing on WLR lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Dairy and food ingredients group Glanbia has been granted planning permission for a €200m milk processing plant at Belview Port

which is expected to employ 400 people during construction and more than 100 full-time staff upon completion.

Even though the Port of Waterford is in Kilkenny , it needs to get rid of its present management structure , and actively pursue the business that it has lost to Dublin Port.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭decies

The days are getting longer is the best I can do am afraid .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Heard that Richard Bruton is in Waterford today, so assume there'll be a decent jobs announcement.

• Advertisement

You have heard of it? or heard there will be? i think thats the same thing ive been hearing on WLR lately!

talked to one of the head honchos at the facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Shared needles and unprotected sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Shared needles and unprotected sex.
    Strangest job announcement I heard in a while....but at least its something.One thing we all need is the production of Aids babies to increase in this country.We're falling behind every where else at the moment.Lets hope the begrudgers get behind this great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Genzyme have announce plans to expand the Waterford facility according to Liz Reddy on twitter, thats good!

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Genzyme have announce plans to expand the Waterford facility according to Liz Reddy on twitter, thats good!

Anybody know what Genzyme make exactly?

I also heard that Bausch and Lomb are taking on soon.

• Advertisement

Anybody know what Genzyme make exactly?

I also heard that Bausch and Lomb are taking on soon.

Very expensive drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The rain is getting warmer so summer is getting closer.

That's the best I could do.

http://www.independent.ie/business/pharmacy-firm-announces-44m-investment-29066214.html

amazing RTE have not picked this up..... they picked up the 200 new jobs in Belfast though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

O Riain wrote: »
    Not a single job to be created with that investment.

hmmm , 44 million invested in a Waterford plant, and not a single job created, ........bit of a chalange there.... and who said Waterford had a negative attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Full press release from the Department:
    http://www.djei.ie/press/2013/20130212.htm
    Not a single job to be created with that investment.
    How do you know? Surely if they are investing €44m then more jobs would be created, or at least existing jobs would be secured.

But I think you could be right because there is absolutely no detail on what the investment is actually for, nor is there any mention of the number of jobs to be created. Surely if jobs were being created or money was being spent on building new facilities then they would mention it in the press release. Where is the €44m going exactly?

This is positive news all the same.

hmmm , 44 million invested in a Waterford plant, and not a single job created, ........bit of a chalange there.... and who said Waterford had a negative attitude?

Oh I'm sorry I should get my facts right, hold on Ill just read the report now and get a figure.. oh yeah that's right not a mention of one single job in the report.

Oh I'm sorry I should get my facts right, hold on Ill just read the report now and get a figure.. oh yeah that's right not a mention of one single job in the report.

Clearly a bad news story..... :)

Clearly a bad news story..... :)

Well I dont think its appropriate for the minister to come down to Waterford City who he is utterly failing and parade around in front of the media trying to sell us a story that yes is good news for securing Genzymes future in Waterford but will not result in one single new job. Unless the minster can come down and announce a significant large jobs announcement for Waterford he is not welcome here.

Well I dont think its appropriate for the minister to come down to Waterford City who he is utterly failing and parade around in front of the media trying to sell us a story that yes is good news for securing Genzymes future in Waterford but will not result in one single new job. Unless the minster can come down and announce a significant large jobs announcement for Waterford he is not welcome here.

Man the barricades!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Positivity for the sake of positivity annoys me

I find that common in Waterford ( people annoyed by positivity)

Have to agree there was no mention of job creation this time around, they also said there was 150 million invested in the last few years.

Eh not really going up on the scale on the positive front!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

I'd say you're great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

the viking triangle continues to develop and look great with announcements of what further works will be done over next year, public art etc.
    Looks like they started work on the old reg bar.
    2 new shops going into where ELC and Next used to be, jane norman and edinburgh woolen mills.
    genzyme is thriving in Waterford.
    the weather is improving, getting brighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Motivator wrote: »
    I'd say you're great fun.

So you dont agree that the Minister for Enterprise is failing Waterford City? Am I suppose to say he is doing a great job when we have almost 20% unemployment in the South East?

So you dont agree that the Minister for Enterprise is failing Waterford City? Am I suppose to say he is doing a great job when we have almost 20% unemployment in the South East?

Actually I find some of the people of Waterford are more than capable of doing it on their own.

Actually I find some of the people of Waterford are more than capable of doing it on their own.

Some people(as in me) are failing Waterford City? How do you reckon that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Some people(as in me) are failing Waterford City? How do you reckon that one.

Look at the reasons why B&Q are pulling out of Ireland. Huge rent rates crippled Waterford's branch & the land owner has a lot to answer for in my opinion. Also look at TKMaxx in the same complex, look at the reasons why they were pulled out of their original unit. So called "great" people of Waterford lodged an objection & TKMaxx was pulled out of their unit resulting in plenty of job losses. Before you go bashing Richard Bruton perhaps you should look closer to home to find the real problems.

Advertisement