Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Starbucks are opening in Waterford too according to last weeks muster express

They won't bring much footfall tbh. Good to have in the city though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

iseegirls wrote: »
    Really?? Any idea where?

In the restaurant thats closed down next to the entrance of city square can't think of the name of it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

In the restaurant thats closed down next to the entrance of city square can't think of the name of it

As locations go, it would make sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

They won't bring much footfall tbh. Good to have in the city though.
    Starbucks are the Eddie Rockets of café chains (too expensive).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've been getting a lot of very positive feedback from family and friends in other parts of the country lately, especially since Winterval's coverage on Nationwide last Wednesday about how Waterford is a great place for organising events and that anytime they come to visit there's always some event organised and that they're organised to a high standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The Brasserie?

Good location, but by golly the ugliest part of Waterford city centre by some distance! That building is not too bad, but all around there is just a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

fricatus wrote: »
    The Brasserie?

Good location, but by golly the ugliest part of Waterford city centre by some distance! That building is not too bad, but all around there is just a mess.

They should pedestrianize that whole area, having cars driving around there is just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The Fitzwilton Hotel sold today for 3.2 million to an Austrian group, this is their sixth purchase in Ireland including the Agahdoe heights 5 star in Killarney, very positive news indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

shockwave wrote: »
    They should pedestrianize that whole area, having cars driving around there is just ridiculous.

I don't think that will help businesses. Many blame the demise of Michael Street due to the fact it was pedestrianized.
    I do think that there should be at least a zebra crossing coming out of City Square (by Peter Marks) and over to Blackfriars Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I don't think that will help businesses. Many blame the demise of Michael Street due to the fact it was pedestrianized.

Much more likely that any problems on that street stem from the fact that half of it was bought for a development that still hasn't gone ahead, due to all sorts of objections. Not to mention the collapsing economy in the past six years, plus wave after wave of redundancies and emigration.

To test the logic of that assertion, turn it around. Would Michael St be any better off with really narrow footpaths, and cars trundling up and down it, using it as a shortcut? Does Parnell Street benefit from all the traffic for example?

I do think that there should be at least a zebra crossing coming out of City Square (by Peter Marks) and over to Blackfriars Lane.

This would make an awful lot of sense. I would put them at every crossing in the city centre shopping areas: by Peter Mark, by Burger King, by Peacock's (A-Wear), at the bottom of Alexander St, and at the top of Lady Line by the Old Stand. Cars should be secondary in these areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Parnell St is not a main shopping thoroughfare, where as Micheal St is or at least was. I agree that pedestrianizing it ruined it. Cars passing through would more than likely be dropping people off at shops or quickly grabbing something, improving business in my opinion. Where would cars be taking a shortcut to?? I'd go as far as letting cars right through the centre including passing John Roberts Square to the Clock Tower. Kilkenny's main street is not pedestrianized, it works fine up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Parnell St is not a main shopping thoroughfare, where as Micheal St is or at least was. I agree that pedestrianizing it ruined it. Cars passing through would more than likely be dropping people off at shops or quickly grabbing something, improving business in my opinion. Where would cars be taking a shortcut to?? I'd go as far as letting cars right through the centre including passing John Roberts Square to the Clock Tower. Kilkenny's main street is not pedestrianized, it works fine up there.

No No No. Cars need to be kept out. Waterford's main problem is lack of choice compared to Kilkenny hence low footfall.

The lack of choice is because of low footfall. Shops open and close regularly. Get more passing through, then bigger footfall, bigger choice because there will be less risk when opening a shop. If shops survive, more shops are likely to take a chance in opening.

Just wondering, keeping cars out, what's the advantages???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The Fitzwilton Hotel sold today for 3.2 million to an Austrian group, this is their sixth purchase in Ireland including the Agahdoe heights 5 star in Killarney, very positive news indeed.

Seems like a big price but new owners must have confidence in it and the city to spend that.

Good to see all jobs transferring over too

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/four-star-fitzwilton-hotel-purchased-for-3-2-million-1.2022750

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The lack of choice is because of low footfall. Shops open and close regularly. Get more passing through, then bigger footfall, bigger choice because there will be less risk when opening a shop. If shops survive, more shops are likely to take a chance in opening.

There isn't a single shop in town that is more than three or four mins walk from one of the existing car parks. People wanting to park on the doorstep of whatever shop they're buying from just leads to congestion, traffic jams and a less pleasing experience.
    More pedestrianised areas and decapitations for anyone parking on dubble yellas would be my solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

won't get more footfall until there is more choice

won't get more footfall until there is more choice

Vicious circle then methinks. Wont be more choice until new business are confident of increased footfall, IMO.

All that said, I was in town yesterday, and although I know it may be because Christmas is approaching and because of Winterval, but I did sense a bit of a buzz around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Do what they do in Dublin: open lots of drugs treatment clinics in the city centre. That will increase the footfall immediately.

Another incisive constructive contribution which is as funny as cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The Government has announced a €200k fund to help support entrepreneurs in the South East.

http://www.independent.ie/business/200000-fund-aims-to-help-entrepreneurs-bring-startups-to-life-30839861.html

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

The shopping in Dungarvan is a reason to be positive! Was there over the weekend and just found it brilliant! Great atmosphere around the town and was delighted with all my purchases. Nice to see life back in Mary Street again. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Waterford tourism on top ten Irish Independent again. Our tourism product has definetly stepped up, publicity like this helps.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/irelands-10-hottest-travel-tickets-for-2015-30925779.html

- the tracks and trails epsiode on RTE (Comeragh Walks) was very good, that Pol O Conghaile has given Waterford some great press of late.
    - Out in tramore recently and its looking really well, great new playground for kids, national life saving building, prom tarted up a bit. helps when the weather was great too. I think Tramore has made a push recently and long may it continue.
    - airport announcement was great
    - the bridge renaming was a good idea too. some mightnt fully agree but i reckon its better than suir bridge and the small bit of cooperation with our neighbours good too
    - Some hopes of further job and development hopefully soon too.
    - City centre developments with city square, possible apple market roof too all good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Big home quarter final in the hurling next Sunday!
    Chance to make Walsh Park a fortress!

should be a big crowd & a great atmosphere!

City centre looking great this morning, spotless, so fair play to Council road sweepers and their machines. helps when it was beautifully sunny.
    Couple new shops opening up in vacant units, ginos gelato and toymaster, every bit helps. New Aldi in Ardkeen will be opening up soon too so a good few more jobs there too.
    I hear Metalman are bringing out a new beer/can, F-ING BRILLIANT. unknown what beer/ale it is at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Where is Toymaster going?

Where is Toymaster going?

The old benneton, or if your as old as me Coads

Max Powers wrote: »
    City centre looking great this morning, spotless, so fair play to Council road sweepers and their machines. helps when it was beautifully sunny.
    Couple new shops opening up in vacant units, ginos gelato and toymaster, every bit helps. New Aldi in Ardkeen will be opening up soon too so a good few more jobs there too.
    I hear Metalman are bringing out a new beer/can, F-ING BRILLIANT. unknown what beer/ale it is at this stage

"They expanded the brewery last year, and in 2015 launched the first Irish craft beer in cans. This will be followed by two more, Equinox and Heat Sink, shortly."

.....AWESOME....i think Heat Sink is one of the nicest beers i have ever had.....yeah shut up it might be a porter, i dont care, its delicious
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/take-it-home-metalman-pale-ale-and-a-lebanese-success-story-1.2287215

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

SPRAOI is just around the corner!

The Hurlers are going well

The City is looking better than it has for years!

New pubs are opening

New jobs are coming down the line!

Loads to be very positive about!

Advertisement