Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BBM77 wrote:
    Absolutely, Dublin is the only city I have been in where I got a smell of piss on the streets and seen people shooting up heroin openly on the streets and that was in the so called nice side of Dublin.

Lots of homeless on the streets in Manchester, some probably parttaking in drug use, tis everywhere sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

BBM77 wrote: »
    Grace Dieu Road, Newtown area, Adelphi Quay, Summer Hill, Oak Mews, Rockfield Park are all nice.

If you re-read my question I asked for the immediate city, not those areas on the peripheries and half those areas you mentioned are more our less dead ends, really only suitable for residential access.

I read on a local publication only fit for the wrapping of potato peels where 'we' are all in favour of a new tax on vacant homes! Not that it will effect me unfortunately but the 'vacant' homes in The Glen that are only fit for demolition, who currently owns these properties or more to the point does the CC have any properties in this area and if they do how will they be affected?

If you re-read my question I asked for the immediate city, not those areas on the peripheries and half those areas you mentioned are more our less dead ends, really only suitable for residential access.

I read on a local publication only fit for the wrapping of potato peels where 'we' are all in favour of a new tax on vacant homes! Not that it will effect me unfortunately but the 'vacant' homes in The Glen that are only fit for demolition, who currently owns these properties or more to the point does the CC have any properties in this area and if they do how will they be affected?

land value tax sounds like a better approach to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    land value tax sounds like a better approach to me

Yeah the site value tax (Google Ronan Lyons for more) would be the best idea, but its six of one and half a dozen of the other between that and a vacant home tax - the main thing is that we need people to p155 or get off the pot where it comes to property in this country. It's not good enough to be building acres of identikit housing on green fields when perfectly good city properties just need gutting and modernising.

Waterford is not that bad in this regard though - anyone been to Cork lately? Grungy!

fricatus wrote: »
    Yeah the site value tax (Google Ronan Lyons for more) would be the best idea, but its six of one and half a dozen of the other between that and a vacant home tax - the main thing is that we need people to p155 or get off the pot where it comes to property in this country. It's not good enough to be building acres of identikit housing on green fields when perfectly good city properties just need gutting and modernising.

Waterford is not that bad in this regard though - anyone been to Cork lately? Grungy!

im a fan of ronan and tom lyons, smart men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭goochy

Are they related ??

goochy wrote:
    Are they related ??

no, but strangely seem to end up on a lot of panels together, talking about the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone what this night be about "Get tomorrow's Waterford News & Star for the exclusive story behind the biggest news to break in Waterford City in many, many years." From News and Start FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone what this night be about "Get tomorrow's Waterford News & Star for the exclusive story behind the biggest news to break in Waterford City in many, many years." From News and Start FB.

Check their Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Ex Mayor John Cummins also posted that something exciting is being announced tomorrow that will 'catapult Waterford City forward.' He also said he was proud to be involved.

My interest is most definitely piqued!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Ex Mayor John Cummins also posted that something exciting is being announced tomorrow that will 'catapult Waterford City forward.' He also said he was proud to be involved.

My interest is most definitely piqued!

I think it could be about development on the north quays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

gw80 wrote: »
    I think it could be about development on the north quays

Saudi businesses investing 300 million into north quays and Michael street shopping centre.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Some Saudi consortium going to build Michael Street shopping centre and a development on the north quays . 300 million investment. Work starting on Michael Street before year end

North quays development will be significantly bigger than mahon point in Cork- good news if this all comes about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

17361893_10207869788493172_7228144137123952840_n.jpg?oh=3d900693e2ac99f977548da32bbbd9d5&oe=59667096

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Would be great if this turned out to be true. I duno, something screams fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Would be great if this turned out to be true. I duno, something screams fake news.
    Yea that special day in april is just upon us, so that will tell ya

Samsgirl wrote:

A few local councillors tweeted earlier that it's very real, full details announced tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

http://www.alhokair.com/

http://www.fawazalhokair.com/fashion-retail.php

I'd hate my football team to be taken over by big oil but I approve of this development :)

Would be amazing if it goes ahead.
    ____
    Other good news:

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/106876-a-museum-and-visitor-centre-is-being-planned-at-the-waterford-distillery-on-grattan-quay.html
    A museum and visitor centre is being planned at the Waterford Distillery on Grattan Quay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good to see so much going for the city

shame about Burger King closing as it been there for years and a lot of us would have good memories of the place

Waterford City in 10 years time (or when all the developments are done)could be an amazing place

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Good to see so much going for the city

shame about Burger King closing as it been there for years and a lot of us would have good memories of the place

Waterford City in 10 years time (or when all the developments are done)could be an amazing place

I never noticed it that busy compared to Mc D or Supermac. I'm sure one of them or even KFC will open in the new part. Five Guys might be one to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Some Saudi consortium going to build Michael Street shopping centre and a development on the north quays . 300 million investment. Work starting on Michael Street before year end

Why though??

If its unsustainable for an irish business to borrow and build it

Why are the saudis flying into on what internationally would be a small city to spend hundreds of millions....would they not get better return elsewhere

Im not againest development....but im somewhat wary of the motives behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Why though??

Why are the saudis flying into on what internationally would be a small city to spend hundreds of millions....would they not get better return elsewhere

I'd assume the motive is to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Why though??

What in your opinion are the motives Tom?

What in your opinion are the motives Tom?

Havnt a clue tbh

But if the figures dont stack up for it to be profitable for an irish builder to do it....cant see how the saudis are going to magic up footfall to make it profitable??

Have this consortium any kind of record of running similar shopping centres anywhere??
    Any googling i done hasnt been very informative??

I do mean to be pissing all over everyones parade....investment in waterford is good....but...im wary at best,if something seems too good to be ture....it probably is??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Why though??

Same motive always money and profit....very negative outlook there,I doubt you would be doubting what motive is if it was cork, Galway, athlone, etc etc.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Same motive always money and profit....very negative outlook there,I doubt you would be doubting what motive is if it was cork, Galway, athlone, etc etc.

Speaking of athlone.....what ever became of that huge place the Chinese were building there??

I've no doubt they are there at least to make money/profit.....but if the figures didn't stack up for an Irish company to do it....how are the Saudis going to make it pay

Whatll you'll end up with is poorly maintained premises feom lack of profit which in the long term will become known for it

Maybe I'm wrong and it'll all be milk and honey rosey world and they'll make a heap of money/the figures which made it unsustainable for an Irish builder were too cautious???

So deos anyone actually know anything about these Saudis....or are we just to jump blindlyly onto the first bit of good news to happen waterford in years??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Max Powers wrote: »

Speaking of athlone.....what ever became of that huge place the Chinese were building there??

I've no doubt they are there at least to make money/profit.....but if the figures didn't stack up for an Irish company to do it....how are the Saudis going to make it pay

Whatll you'll end up with is poorly maintained premises feom lack of profit which in the long term will become known for it

Maybe I'm wrong and it'll all be milk and honey rosey world and they'll make a heap of money/the figures which made it unsustainable for an Irish builder were too cautious???

So deos anyone actually know anything about these Saudis....or are we just to jump blindlyly onto the first bit of good news to happen waterford in years??

Have you bothered to look into them?

• Advertisement

Deiseen wrote: »
    Have you bothered to look into them?

I have indeed....asides from a coperate Web page. ..there seems little to nothing about them??

But I guess since they have marks and Spencers linked in their homepage and it seems an obsession with some on here to get that in waterford it's all good??

I guess I'll say no more for a bit....just keep my rather healthy skeptism about the mathematical realities to myself??

I will say this. ...with the rumoured Saudi consortium building of amother terminal at Dublin airport....Maybe this is just a way of them safe keeping money in the event of Brexit??

Advertisement