Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

BBM77 wrote: »
    http://www.eplanning.ie/WaterfordCCC/AppFileRefDetails/1884/0

Interesting and more good news on the retail front. Empty units being combined to create a big one in the Bulterstown retail park. Time will tell who it is for…

But aren't most of these taken by shops? All I know that's empty is the one at the end by Harvey Norman, and beside Homestore And More.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Surprised no food outlet or coffee shop has gone into Butlerstown retail as well. Look at Carrickmines on the outskirts of Dublin which is thriving with a few fast food drive-ins, along with the some coffee shops. The Costa does well beside Tesco Ardkeen, I could see one going well at Butlerstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

iseegirls wrote: »
    Surprised no food outlet or coffee shop has gone into Butlerstown retail as well. Look at Carrickmines on the outskirts of Dublin which is thriving with a few fast food drive-ins, along with the some coffee shops. The Costa does well beside Tesco Ardkeen, I could see one going well at Butlerstown.

Yeah there’s very few cafes out that direction considering all the industrial & business parks staff as well as shoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

But aren't most of these taken by shops? All I know that's empty is the one at the end by Harvey Norman, and beside Homestore And More.

Not sure. It is hard to visualise it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭curmudgeonly

That was the reason TKMaxx had to move from there, no convenience shopping allowed by it's original planning Grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Interesting and more good news on the retail front. Empty units being combined to create a big one in the Bulterstown retail park. Time will tell who it is for…

From checking out the files attached, it seems Harvey Norman are just expanding into the extra empty units.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

er1983 wrote: »
    From checking out the files attached, it seems Harvey Norman are just expanding into the extra empty units.

Wow, it seems like only yesterday that HN were rueing their investment in Ireland, while admitting “we’re stuck here now”.

I know that must have been around 2009-2011, but it goes to show that things are really turning around following the boom and bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fricatus wrote:
    I know that must have been around 2009-2011, but it goes to show that things are really turning around following the boom and bust.

Thankfully we ve solved the issue of economic bubbles! But we have come along way in the last couple of years, things got very scary there for a while, more to do though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

I believe a coffee shop is planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Ive been saying a while that Eddie Garry's garage on the cork road would be perfect for a restaurant/drive thru/coffee shop type place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DubToDeise

Am I missing something or is that application just for retention? The unit beside Home Store & More is being taken by a retailer moving from their current location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Can't people brew their own coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Can't people cook their own food?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

As someone already pointed out. The reason TK Max left was because they weren't allowed sell food stuff.

That place is crying out for a Costa Coffee or something like that and the retailers in there would benefit from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

As someone already pointed out. The reason TK Max left was because they weren't allowed sell food stuff.

That place is crying out for a Costa Coffee or something like that and the retailers in there would benefit from it

Clothes mostly. Another retailer wanted to put in a coffee shop but was refused so put a coffee dock instead.

The new coffee shop should it go ahead with be in the far side of the car park and will be a newly build building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I am also amused by the rise in coffee kulture, more than 20 years ago people just made a brew and drank it where they worked now you're no one if not traipsing about the place with possibly a too hot container in your hand. Actually going out to pay for a cuppa is just beyond me (I'm old-ish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I am also amused by the rise in coffee kulture, more than 20 years ago people just made a brew and drank it where they worked now you're no one if not traipsing about the place with possibly a too hot container in your hand. Actually going out to pay for a cuppa is just beyond me (I'm old-ish).

What's happening Harry? You're agreeing with me........again! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I love coffee but I honestly do not know a single person who does it to look cool, as you seem to be getting at.
    You can make food at home for cheaper than going to a restaurant - people still eat out.
    You can make your own clothes at home too if ya so wish but it does not stop people buying clothes in a shop.
    Sure you could even go on a holiday in your back garden if you want to, but people still travel abroad.
    The coffee you can get in a cafe is on another level from what you can brew at home unless you have an expensive barista machine in your house. You also don't have to clean up, or have the skills to brew the coffee and can get a choice of different beans as well as the fact that sometimes people just want to get out of the house.
    The mark up is crazy alright but to let on that it doesn't make sense is a bit ridiculous. It's not one of the most consumed beverages on the planet for no reason and it's better than lads sitting in a pub all day getting locked.

The Coffee shop economy is no sort of economy, it's like pet parlours and patio heater sales, a sign of froth. Still, that's another topic entirely.

I'd hardly compare coffee with a practical skill like making clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

This is kinda gone off topic....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

south wrote: »
    Clothes mostly. Another retailer wanted to put in a coffee shop but was refused so put a coffee dock instead.

The new coffee shop should it go ahead with be in the far side of the car park and will be a newly build building.

Its easy to look into just check out the waterford city planning page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Waterfords growHQ will be on the tellybox starting On Wednesday 7.30 the programme is called Grow Cook Eat

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

So PC World are moving into that empty unit out by Harvey Norman. Was talking to staff there yesterday. They hope to be moving in July. Then supermacs are taking PC world area along with units in front

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

So PC World are moving into that empty unit out by Harvey Norman. Was talking to staff there yesterday. They hope to be moving in July. Then supermacs are taking PC world area along with units in front

Good move by PC world, I wonder if CUrrys will now return with them given the bigger space.

The current place is awkward and traffic there is mad most of the day.

Even better than empty retail units next to PC will be taken over by Supermacs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

That’s great news. That PC Workd building is so run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

That is interesting. Did not realise that Supermac’s was taking all of that site, thought it was just the empty part. It will be good to see the PC World site tidied up.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Was hoping it would be Burger King, but anything to clean up the old Bowling Alley site would be welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jamie2k9 wrote:
    The current place is awkward and traffic there is mad most of the day.

Planning permission shouldn't have been given to that entrance/exit, it's very dangerous, too close to the roundabout, hopefully this will be rectified for supermacs or there could be trouble, as I believe that will have a drive thru. Hope the changes work out for both businesses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Are ye sure it's pc world its going into? it says online it's where the tile place used to be,

Advertisement