Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Planning permission shouldn't have been given to that entrance/exit, it's very dangerous, too close to the roundabout, hopefully this will be rectified for supermacs or there could be trouble, as I believe that will have a drive thru. Hope the changes work out for both businesses

Well the Planning Permission mentioned in the Munster said new Entrance/Exit were included.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Are ye sure it's pc world its going into? it says online it's where the tile place used to be,

It will probably be both, given they are planning a Drive-Thru and places for buses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Well the Planning Permission mentioned in the Munster said new Entrance/Exit were included.

Wonder how they're going to work that? The site is still very close to the roundabout on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Delighted to hear this. It will be an added feature to match nights at the RSC too for home and away fans. I'm sure it will go well for a bus of away fans to stop there before hitting the road home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I know we have seen a few positive articles on our city over the last few years but the LA Times one on WLR page is another positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Max Powers wrote: »
    I know we have seen a few positive articles on our city over the last few years but the LA Times one on WLR page is another positive.

Worth a link.A very positive piece from a fella who spent a month here:

http://www.wlrfm.com/2018/04/30/55219/

Don't entirely agree with him on the food options but delighted he discovered the spare ribs in the Munster!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Good article but the writer does suggest that Waterford could up its game in terms of good quality restaurants and that the City Centre needs sprucing up in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Good article but the writer does suggest that Waterford could up its game in terms of good quality restaurants and that the City Centre needs sprucing up in places.

There is a guy here on this site and he is saying the same for ages but I can't think of who he is though!

• Advertisement

The castle got 5 awards in recent industry awards according to the munster express including hotel of the year.its fantastic over there, brilliant place if you really wanted to treat some one.I'm glad same team behind ard ri too which will be developed once north quays gets go ahead,from what I understand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Everett's, the new restaurant on High Street, the head chef used to work in Chapter One in Dublin. Hopefully he is aspiring to get a Michelin Star for himself. A Michelin Star restaurant would move the cities restaurant scene up a notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

JupiterKid wrote: »

Surely all the work that's going on in the last year. The paving and city square count as sprucing up.

debok wrote: »
    Surely all the work that's going on in the last year. The paving and city square count as sprucing up.

Yeah you would, that's only nearing completion now though,probably more to do on outskirts of city centre but yeah, John street, Apple market, city square area and all around VT all done up looking pretty well and improved last couple years.I was happy to see a derelict looking building on Catherine street is being worked on by someone, other buildings on that street have got lick of paint and other work too, still that eyesore by court house extension though, would love if somebody could improve its appearance as a minimum. Court house looks very good too I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

still that eyesore by court house extension though, would love if somebody could improve its appearance as a minimum. Court house looks very good too I might add.

Surely some of those vacant buildings can be used as a hostel or used for some type of accomodation. Was in Galway recently, and they have a huge amount of hostels there for visitors - something which Waterford does not offer much at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

iseegirls wrote: »
    still that eyesore by court house extension though, would love if somebody could improve its appearance as a minimum. Court house looks very good too I might add.

Surely some of those vacant buildings can be used as a hostel or used for some type of accomodation. Was in Galway recently, and they have a huge amount of hostels there for visitors - something which Waterford does not offer much at the moment.

Crazy to think we don't have a proper youth hostel. Young backpackers cannot afford to stat in Hotels so just end up avoiding Waterford altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

iseegirls wrote:

Deiseen wrote:
    Crazy to think we don't have a proper youth hostel. Young backpackers cannot afford to stat in Hotels so just end up avoiding Waterford altogether.

Would a hostel be a viable business in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Would a hostel be a viable business in Waterford?

If you build it they will come.

If you build it they will come.

Only when they don't

I doubt galway is over flowing with hostels, those there probably compare with Waterford b&b prices.I don't see major benefit to one in Waterford TBH, backpackers arent exactly a major source of numbers I'd guess, their spend might not be great either and hotels, b&bs, air bnb still very competitive in Waterford.if there were was significant demand, yeah but bottom line, don't see demand for it.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote:
    I doubt galway is over flowing with hostels.I don't see major benefit to one in Waterford TBH, backpackers arent exactly a major source of numbers I'd guess, their spend might not be great either and hotels, b&bs, air bnb still very competitive in Waterford.if there were was significant demand, yeah but bottom line, don't see demand for it.

I'm not convinced either, I'd imagine a couple of people have looked into this over the years, I'd be reluctant to open one anyway, too risky. Air b&b does seem popular here though, so it's probably filling a gap

I'm not convinced either, I'd imagine a couple of people have looked into this over the years, I'd be reluctant to open one anyway, too risky. Air b&b does seem popular here though, so it's probably filling a gap

I stand corrected kinda, there does seem to be good few hostels listed in galway, having said that, last time I was there few years ago every second voice was foreign, tourists not locals I'd guess.we just don't have those tourism numbers and still alternatives well priced in Waterford.hopefully we can improve our attractiveness further, if we all help ourselves by supporting pubs, restaurants and arts in city centre it will create more of an atmosphere and attract more tourists as a result.if north quays starts, will bring more people in too.no doubt our product has improved vastly over last few years, we have seen improvements, not just public realm works but likes of VT, greenway, etc I think we have upped it further, word has spread I feel too with friends from around the country saying want to do greenway, visit VT, a fancy hotel, etc, its a slow incremental process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

The only tourists that Waterford gets are older tourists. They are an important part of the tourist trade but the young tourists, the backpackers, they bring vibe, life and atmosphere to a town which is just what Waterford is lacking. Looking at them in tetms of the money they bring is short sighted and wrong.

Galway has a great vibe for a reason and a big big part of that is the young tourists it attracts.

Deiseen wrote:
    The only tourists that Waterford gets are older tourists. They are an important part of the tourist trade but the young tourists, the backpackers, they bring vibe, life and atmosphere to a town which is just what Waterford is lacking. Looking at them in tetms of the money they bring is short sighted and wrong.

Fair point, but who's willing to take on the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Is the Viking House hostel not still going in Coffee House Lane, off Greyfriars?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One reason to be positive is that your LOI team is doing damn well this season, in no small part due to the fact that you took our best player away from us you b*****ds.

Only, joking, it must be a great time to be a Waterford FC fan after some years in the doldrums.

but no, really seriously now, you b*****ds.

osarusan wrote: »
    One reason to be positive is that your LOI team is doing damn well this season, in no small part due to the fact that you took our best player away from us you b*****ds.

Only, joking, it must be a great time to be a Waterford FC fan after some years in the doldrums.

but no, really seriously now, you b*****ds.

Hery I presume? Yes we are bxxxxxds for that and yes we have suffered for years, couldn't hold onto some of our best players for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Is the Viking House hostel not still going in Coffee House Lane, off Greyfriars?

There's also the Bolton Street Hostel and Portree Hostel down in Mary Street which featured on the Francis Brennan programme last season.

I am not sure if Bolton Street and the Viking are given over to asylum seekers at this stage but the Portree Hostel is definitely open for visitors.

Personally I don't think accommodation is really a problem for back-packing types. There must be plenty of student accommodation which is free over the Summer months plus AirB&B. What would be of much more use would be a hotel with a conference centre. Back in the glory days of the Árd Rí we used to get all the nurses and teachers conferences. They were a huge boost to local pubs and restaurants as they are just week long booze ups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That plot of land at the Tramore/Cork road split (old Esso station) is finally sold! Given the caffeine enhanced nature of local economy presumably a drive through coffee shop will move in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I think that's full of migrants at the moment?

Advertisement