Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Is the Viking House hostel not still going in Coffee House Lane, off Greyfriars?

I think that's full of migrants at the moment?

Refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

That plot of land at the Tramore/Cork road split (old Esso station) is finally sold! Given the caffeine enhanced nature of local economy presumably a drive through coffee shop will move in.

Are you talking about that triangular piece of land across from the back yard entrance to morris's??

I would say the reason it has been left so long is because it would be a nightmare to put anything on that land due to traffic in the area!! great piece of land but imagine trying to get in and out of there???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Are you talking about that triangular piece of land across from the back yard entrance to morris's??

I would say the reason it has been left so long is because it would be a nightmare to put anything on that land due to traffic in the area!! great piece of land but imagine trying to get in and out of there???

Main reason it was left for so long was because the local economy was in $hit, we're only seeing small bit of pick up last 6-12 months.great to see it bought, great place for student accommodation, great to see anything on it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

During the boom owners of petrol station sites were selling them of to make of the inflated land prices. Developers were buying them so they could make of building apartment blocks or whatever on the site. The reality is that sites like this are only suitable for things like petrol stations. Bet that is what that site will be returned to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sam Bennett - first stage win in one of the three Grand Tour road races (Giro D'Italia). today

• Advertisement

Sam Bennett - first stage win in one of the three Grand Tour road races (Giro D'Italia). today

Wow, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

That plot of land at the Tramore/Cork road split (old Esso station) is finally sold! Given the caffeine enhanced nature of local economy presumably a drive through coffee shop will move in.

That's where Supermacs is going in, no?

Couple of reasons to be positive in Waterford - plenty of new businesses opening, large and local ones, The Candied Hazelnut plant and gluten free based restaurant on O' Connell St, where Bistro On The Dole was, they're claiming to be the only plant based and gluten free restaurant in Ireland, which I dont quite get, because they do meat dishes, and surely plant based just means fresh produce? :pac: and gluten free, well everywhere does gluten free stuff nowadays. but looks good.

Caffe Nero opening in the old sports savers by city square, I feel like this is in the middle between Starbucks and Costa, and people that only buy from independent coffee shops might go here as it looks that bit cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

That's where Supermacs is going in, no?

Supermacs is going where the old Tile Market was at the RSC roundabout.

Went past the Glass factory today and noticed the sign suggesting it would be a "happening place" to locate your business, does anyone know if there has been any tugs on the line? It's one thing to have a space it's another for it to be turnkey ready as the place hasn't been touched for development. I see it's also been officially declared vacant so Frisby faces an annual charge until it's occupied. It's a huge site but would one occupied office in the showroom mean it was not vacant? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

I believe there's plans for the office block to be turned into student accommodation. I heard that a few months back but nothing has happened yet.

• Advertisement

Interesting article about eco village city council trying to get backers for in business section of indo. Sounds great, 2000 zero energy houses,obviously getting backers probably dependent on likes of north quays and general economy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Max Powers wrote:
    Interesting article about eco village city council trying to get backers for in business section of indo. Sounds great, 2000 zero energy houses,obviously getting backers probably dependent on likes of north quays and general economy

Where's that article, sounds interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Vladi_

I have a weird question. 😠There is an abandoned building in the centre, looks kind of like an old theatre or something like that (I have a pic but can't post it). Does anyone know what it is or how can I find out? :) Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Vladi_ wrote: »
    I have a weird question. 😠There is an abandoned building in the centre, looks kind of like an old theatre or something like that (I have a pic but can't post it). Does anyone know what it is or how can I find out? :) Thanks.

Address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Old de la salle center?

Maybe old Waterford City Rugby club house on parnel street?

Can you share coordinates via google street view?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Gillman1998

It's worth saying that there was a really nice feel in town this evening, especially at the back of the Reg and the Munster Bar, good music, relaxed vibe, bodes well for a nice summer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I know it’s not the city strictly, but the Copper Coast drive is pretty spectacular and needs much more promotion from a tourism standpoint.

The North Quays development going ahead will be a complete game changer for Waterford. If successful, and if WIT do achieve university status, in 20 years’ time we could see the city’s population approaching the 70k mark, making it the Galway of the South East.

Waterford has been held back for far too long - time for it to assert itself and become the true regional capital of the South East.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭deisedav

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I know it’s not the city strictly, but the Copper Coast drive is pretty spectacular and needs much more promotion from a tourism standpoint.

The North Quays development going ahead will be a complete game changer for Waterford. If successful, and if WIT do achieve university status, in 20 years’ time we could see the city’s population approaching the 70k mark, making it the Galway of the South East.

Waterford has been held back for far too long - time for it to assert itself and become the true regional capital of the South East.

I completely agree with you there, nicely said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Is that not an old Magdalene laundry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The magdalene laundry was the Good Shepards on Bunkers Hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

When are Waterford City Council going to power hose their beautiful creation in The Apple Market and its surrounds?
    I had a walk through town during the week and it was shocking! After spending sooooo much money on it I think the least
    they could do is to clean it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

When are Waterford City Council going to power hose their beautiful creation in The Apple Market and its surrounds?
    I had a walk through town during the week and it was shocking! After spending sooooo much money on it I think the least
    they could do is to clean it!

Power hosed it yesterday or day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Good to see the IDA Ireland – Advanced Technology Building started construction, it is something that was kind of forgotten about. Hopefully it will bring a new company to Waterford.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6417348112372756480

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Interesting read in the Munster Express about the Guardian of the Deise. Sounds pretty cool. I know it sounds aspirational but John Hayes is a man on a mission. Here's hoping it materializes!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

None of this will be any good unless we get proper infrastucture in place. The N25 and N24 are a laughing stock and not a single politician in Waterford has even voiced the need for dual carriageway at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hopefully this will help with WIT's profile and income of course

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/wit-agritech-smartagrihubs

dzilla wrote: »
    Old de la salle center?

Not there atm so I'm not sure about the address. Got the pic though.

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    Old de la salle center?

I'm not there atm so not sure about the address but I have the pic. :)

Advertisement