Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Notice PC World are moving out to Buttlerstown tomorrow and brining back Currys.

Costa opening as well.

Supermacs is supposedly taking over those buildings at pc world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

alta stare wrote: »
    Supermacs is supposedly taking over those buildings at pc world.

Costa opening as well in Butlerstown retail park??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The old Besco's looks set to open soon. Getting all stocked up there on Monday when I passed. The name of the shop escapes me, something Discount or Savers I think, but it's good to see the unit being used again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

iseegirls wrote: »
    The old Besco's looks set to open soon. Getting all stocked up there on Monday when I passed. The name of the shop escapes me, something Discount or Savers I think, but it's good to see the unit being used again.

Centz afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

iseegirls wrote: »

Homesavers, opening next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Costa opening as well in Butlerstown retail park??

Yes according to the link posted above

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Homesavers, opening next week

didnt see any jobs being advertised but could of missed the ads in the papers

Nice to see the unit been used again. Beware of the laneway beside there and the Dentist (the old taxi place) as People seem to fly out in there cars without caring about people crossing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

A fella pointed me in this direction (this thread specifically) as evidence there is tons of development happening in Waterford- new pharma plants, factories being built etc. I think he may be a tad unhinged but to give him the benefit of the doubt can anyone point me toward what he may be talking about? I am from Waterford and the noticeable thing is the depressing lack of such development compared to other urban centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Take a spin along the Carrickpherish road son.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Or go out to the IDA Park opposite Whitfield. But I suppose if its not on Ballybricken people don't see it.

• Advertisement

Why , what is happening out there? i dont drive so certainly wont be spinning out that direction. Hopefully this isnt a reference to West Pharma?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

engiweirdo wrote: »
    A fella pointed me in this direction (this thread specifically) as evidence there is tons of development happening in Waterford- new pharma plants, factories being built etc. I think he may be a tad unhinged but to give him the benefit of the doubt can anyone point me toward what he may be talking about? I am from Waterford and the noticeable thing is the depressing lack of such development compared to other urban centres.

You must never leave your house. There is a lot of building going on at the moment in Waterford.

Again what are the specific plants being built/on whose behalf? Its easy say "go out the Carrickpherish Road" etc. To see what? A building site? What's being built? We're not all odd enough to walk around to watch the big diggers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Do your own donkey work son.

Do your own donkey work son.

a) I am (al)most certainly not your son.

b) You are (al)most certainly not Denzel Washington/similarly aged black guy with the requisite cool to pull off such a phrase.

c) What do manners and polity cost?

I'm guessing they are empty lots/plants with no tenant in place, otherwise we'd have all the local politicos crawling out from the woodwork. More wing and prayer stuff.

Had a look at the similar thread in the Cork forum. Eye-opening. In large part, projects under actual construction too.

We're languishing and regressing as a city STILL and yet some kind of weird misplaced defensive pride is displayed when lack of relative progress is questioned.

I'm not sure if it's a perfect description for such a localised situation but it's like the difference between a nationalist and a patriot. The first believes themselves to be both, the second recognises the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

b) You are (al)most certainly not Denzel Washington/similarly aged black guy with the requisite cool to pull off such a phrase.

I'm guessing they are empty lots/plants with no tenant in place, otherwise we'd have all the local politicos crawling out from the woodwork. More wing and prayer stuff.

Had a look at the similar thread in the Cork forum. Eye-opening. In large part, projects under actual construction too.

We're languishing and regressing as a city STILL and yet some kind of weird misplaced defensive pride is displayed when lack of relative progress is questioned.

I'm not sure if it's a perfect description for such a localised situation but it's like the difference between a nationalist and a patriot. The first believes themselves to be both, the second recognises the difference.

What in the name of God is this absolute drivel you’ve just whipped up here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Engiweirdo..Your mate must have been taking the P, there is little development happening, nothing of note in carricpherish....people taking the Mick out of you there. There is a good bit in advanced stages, north quays, etc but not due to start till end of first quarter next year.we all know cork and elsewhere are booming, not news to anyone.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Engiweirdo..Your mate must have been taking the P, there is little development happening, nothing of note in carricpherish....people taking the Mick out of you there. There is a good bit in advanced stages, north quays, etc but not due to start till end of first quarter next year.we all know cork and elsewhere are booming, not news to anyone.

It was another poster on this board that mentioned it and linked to this thread directly, not anyone I know personally, hence the confusion by myself. Oddly enough I believe the poster to be from Cork.

I'm not completely shooting the breeze here either tbh, there are very disturbing trends. I recently graduated from WIT with an engineering degree. There were 14 of us in my year not including international students(return home after studies) in an apparently high demand field. I know of only 2 lads who are employed in the city itself, rest scattered around region. I dont know how many came back from other colleges around Ireland but that a city the size of Waterford hasnt the industrial base to support 14 graduate positions is alarming tbh. Jyst a snapshot of a worrying situation.

Myself I will likely have to leave Waterford now too to find work in my field. So what you may say, good riddance, dont let the door hit ya on the way out. That's missing the point though; thats 12 out of 14 lads educated in the city in what should be a high pay, sustainable field left because there isnt the breadth or diversity of industry to keep them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

It was another poster on this board that mentioned it and linked to this thread directly, not anyone I know personally, hence the confusion by myself. Oddly enough I believe the poster to be from Cork.

I'm not completely shooting the breeze here either tbh, there are very disturbing trends. I recently graduated from WIT with an engineering degree. There were 14 of us in my year not including international students(return home after studies) in an apparently high demand field. I know of only 2 lads who are employed in the city itself, rest scattered around region. I dont know how many came back from other colleges around Ireland but that a city the size of Waterford hasnt the industrial base to support 14 graduate positions is alarming tbh. Jyst a snapshot of a worrying situation.

Myself I will likely have to leave Waterford now too to find work in my field. So what you may say, good riddance, dont let the door hit ya on the way out. That's missing the point though; thats 12 out of 14 lads educated in the city in what should be a high pay, sustainable field left because there isnt the breadth or diversity of industry to keep them there.

As Rob for a job he is well up in something.

Best of luck buddy, hopefully they'll be plenty of work for construction related engineers soon enough with north quays and you can stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭914

I presume when people say look at carrickpherish and surrounding areas they are referring to....

West, new schools, new housing development about to begin.

In the ida technology park, eirgen, the new Advance Technology Building (currently under construction)

Other areas under construction are the new building at UHW, new building at St Patricks hospital, new building at St Otterans, redevelopment of the casion at the back of masons to facilitate another boxworks. Completion of city square redevelopment.

North Quays and Michael St have yet to begin construction work.

Other plans are a new building on the main campus of WIT to accommodate the good Shepards campus and the waterford college of further education will be moving to the good shepards.

Other than that I can not thinking of other developments going ahead or at construction phase.

I wouldn't say we are bustling with developments at the moment but once work begins on Michael st and North Quays that will be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There's something massive being built over Belview direction too - is that another piece of the Glanbia setup?

Not to mention the new New Ross bypass bridge over the Barrow. Not strictly Waterford, but close enough not to matter, and of huge benefit as it brings south Wexford right into our hinterland.

fricatus wrote: »
    There's something massive being built over Belview direction too - is that another piece of the Glanbia setup?

Not to mention the new New Ross bypass bridge over the Barrow. Not strictly Waterford, but close enough not to matter, and of huge benefit as it brings south Wexford right into our hinterland.

Forgot about belview, yep part of glanbia. Also rexam are building a €4.5 million euro extension

B&L €100 million extension last year,West another couple of hundred million to build from scratch,Sanofi another few million investment,Ball recently approved planning permission for €6 million extension,Eirgen investing another few million building a place,old Honeywell factory taken over and another place moved into it expanding again,€5 million supercomputer to come online this month at TSSG.

Yeah nobody is investing in Waterford :rolleyes:

Max Powers wrote: »
    Best of luck buddy, hopefully they'll be plenty of work for construction related engineers soon enough with north quays and you can stay.

Sound thanks. I'm Mech/Manufacturing though and at this stage looks like my home city is a little too far behind the curve/not moving quick enough. I had hoped not but it appears dead as a doornail out there. I have personal reasons yes but from personal experience and contact I've had, Cork, Dublin, Galway and in particular The Netherlands are aggressively targeting local graduates. The last named especially are willing to roll out the red carpet - relocation, accommodation, language classes, bonus etc. Local companies are not, they are either blaise, not too pushed, aren't doing well enough to hire grads, or want university graduates specifically which is another problem. Hard yards need put in now for results 5/10 years down the line because from what I can see Waterford will continue to bleed graduates for at least the medium term. Anyone who has children in school here now should be lobbying the IDA and politicians hard now if they want their kids to have a future here. Waterford is failing and being failed on a massive scale.

Sorry am not levelling it all at yourself, just answering in General.

B&L €100 million extension last year,West another couple of hundred million to build from scratch,Sanofi another few million investment,Ball recently approved planning permission for €6 million extension,Eirgen investing another few million building a place,old Honeywell factory taken over and another place moved into it expanding again,€5 million supercomputer to come online this month at TSSG.

Yeah nobody is investing in Waterford :rolleyes:

And the extension onto arch labs!

Also Waterford Distillery another massive investment

I guess its all to do with perception. Lack of cranes in the skies and people feel not much is happening.

Sound thanks. I'm Mech/Manufacturing though and at this stage looks like my home city is a little too far behind the curve/not moving quick enough. I had hoped not but it appears dead as a doornail out there. I have personal reasons yes but from personal experience and contact I've had, Cork, Dublin, Galway and in particular The Netherlands are aggressively targeting local graduates. The last named especially are willing to roll out the red carpet - relocation, accommodation, language classes, bonus etc. Local companies are not, they are either blaise, not too pushed, aren't doing well enough to hire grads, or want university graduates specifically which is another problem. Hard yards need put in now for results 5/10 years down the line because from what I can see Waterford will continue to bleed graduates for at least the medium term. Anyone who has children in school here now should be lobbying the IDA and politicians hard now if they want their kids to have a future here. Waterford is failing and being failed on a massive scale.

Sorry am not levelling it all at yourself, just answering in General.

There's work in the South east, I'm not exclusively working in Waterford myself, there are jobs, options there. outside of here you have stuff happening in kk, Boston and Abbott in clonmel, MSD, etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

I think there's a lot going on in the background. Hopefully the skyline in Waterford this time next year will have cranes! The application for funding for the infrastructure has gone in this week and apparently announcements will be made in November regarding successful applicants. The CPOs for land on North Quays has also been massively delayed with An Bord Pleanala but apparently a decision will be made by end of October. The bridge consultation is on going. Rob Cass and others involved in the NQs (John Cummins) have repeatedly reported that due to economies of scale from a construction standpoint that Michael St and NQs will commence simultaneously.

Advertisement