Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dogs gone crazy...

• 11-02-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

My little yorkie nearly 9 months old, started escaping into the field last week and were currently fixing the fencing (eletric staple gun & rain dont go) The thing is when he escapes he goes wild just keeps running away and barking and won't listen. When we have him inside we have him trained to sit lie down come etc but when he escapes he just goes wild. We have him in now but he's going to have to go toilet and he's 99% trained so no way I can keep him in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

if was my dog, until the fencing is fixed i would be keeping him on lead while outside. rather this for a few days than maybe him escaping and getting lost

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

Any idea why he goes crazy though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Any idea why he goes crazy though?

Freeeeeedddommmmmm! :D
    He's more than likely reacting to the novelty of having a good old run-about in relatively unknown territory: when well-trained-indoors dogs are in a novel outdoor situation, they can lose focus on their owners, becoming really distracted by the newness and fun of it all.
    But to deal with it is pretty similar to what you've already done inside: give him a chance to get used to being outside (on-lead until your fence is fixed), then you start asking him to do the indoor stuff, outside. Bring some particularly nice treats with you.
    He might be a bit ditzy at first, but give him a little time to have a sniff around and get used to his surroundings, then do your bit of training. Then do the same outside the garden, in the big bad world. It's all about gradually building up the level of distraction, and you should find he gets better at concentrating on you, no matter where you are!
    As for going out for a pee: long lead attached to a harness for now, until the garden is secure. Don't give him a chance to learn that running away results in a game of chasing and owner hysterics!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jaba monkey

your dog is still very young is he nuetered,he is still only a puppy he wants to play,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What DBB said, unrestrained freedom :)

Keep him on the lead, and start working on off lead recall slowly :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

My fella does similar occassionally. We leave him off the lead and just goes crazy. Running rally fast in big circles...stop...roll around a bit...focus ona leaf blowing in the wind...must get it....circles...etc etc etc. Could go on for 10 minutes. We just call it his spaz and enjoy watching it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

He's a pup, he's gonna go crazy sometimes!!

Our 8 month old standard schnauzer takes a bout of what other owners call "the zoomies"

basically running around the couch at full pelt about 8-10 times, stops barks like mad at nothing for a minute then comes over for a rub :D

its a sight to see and we just let him at it...

actually I must film it one of these days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Now that you mention a video - heres one from a little beach in West Cork. It went on for 5/6 minutes. He was absolutely shattered by the time he was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

You have to remember as well terriers of all kinds are renowned for having terrible recall when off lease. If you want him to pay attention to you when you call him outside you need to train him on leash first and work up to having him off lease when he recall is better.

He is only a puppy though and as other posters have said is more than likely going buck mad due to the freedom. Our guy still runs in circles when we let him out, round and round and round and round he goes until he is knackered. Often he runs so fast when he is cirlcing he skids over on his arse. Hilarious to watch!!

Advertisement