Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic games I've never played

• 11-02-2013 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

When listening to a gaming podcast or reading an article about video games there will often be a reference to a 'classic' video game from the past. How often do you hear mention of Super Metroid, Deus Ex or Link to the Past for example? Quite often I realise that I've never played a lot of these games that get mentioned.

I've never played Super Metroid for example and it often gets talked about as the best SNES game of all time (which is ridiculous because we all know that is Super Mario World). I never owned an SNES during its heyday and have never felt the urge to go back and play Super Metroid. Other 'classic' games include Deus Ex, Half-Life 2 or any Final Fantasy title. The former two would be PC titles and I've never owned a gaming PC. As for Final Fantasy the series has just never appealed to me.

Anyone else have a game missing from their played list that is often used as a touchstone?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've never played Super Metroid for example and it often gets talked about as the best SNES game of all time.

It's not just the best game of all time, it's (un)arguably the best game of all time.

And yes it really is that good.

As for Final Fantasy, if you don't like FF don't let it put you off JRPG's. It's not the best example of the genre and many JRPGs are much closer to western RPGs (which kind of shows how ridiculous a genre label it is). Stuff like Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey, Tactics Ogre, Crimson Shroud etc. are much closer to DnD or western RPGs.

Also you really need to add X-Com to that list, the original. I only started it recently. I know now why a lot of PC gamers consider it the best game ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

any of the Mass Effect games.

*runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

krudler wrote: »

*runs*

I wouldn't exactly call them classics.....certainly nowhere near Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Deus Ex, Tie Fighter, Starcraft, Super Mario World.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I have never played any point and click adventures. Monkey island being the regularly quoted example of a classic point and click. I have started playing Sword and Sworcery on the tablet, however not sure if that counts as point and click (though it certainly feels very point and clickish)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not just the best game of all time, it's (un)arguably the best game of all time.

And yes it really is that good.

High praise indeed.

*runs*

I think in years to come ME2 will be considered an all time classic. It is certainly one of, if not the best game of this generation. Along with ACII: Brotherhood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Knights of the old republic is a classic game, what a game!

Dermighty wrote: »
    Knights of the old republic is a classic game, what a game!

But did you play it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

super metroid **** aswell as shining force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

System Shock 2, the first two Fallout games, the original UFO: Enemy Unknown, Steel Panthers, Civ II, Quake... You should try them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Fallout 2

Classic? No, its not fecking classic, its a legend!

• Advertisement

Fallout 2

Classic? No, its not fecking classic, its a legend!

I played it after FO3 and FO:NV. It is still a class game. Really liked playing FO tactics as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sarumite wrote: »

I played it after FO3 and FO:NV. It is still a class game. Really liked playing FO tactics as well.

It did not aged that well, but I bet there are more to up resolution and add few more colours then 256 :) .

I have replayed fallout 2 countless times. I personally think fallout 2 makes wasteland a lot better then fallout 3 and maybe 1000times better then new Vegas. Great game.

I played a good bit of tactics too, but that would be the weakest fallout game if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Never played any metroid games or zelda games. The only super maria I have played is the one for the original black and white gameboy, and even at that I only played maybe the first 2 or 3 levels.

*runs*

I played ME1 before christmas. It was a gigantic disappointment and I wont be buying any more. It lacked soul and character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Metal Gear Solid, Half Life 1 and 2, Pokemon Blue/Red!

Never played Metroid tho! Only ninty console I ever had was the GBC, I was a Sega kid :D

(Shinobi, Sonic :D:D )

EDIT: I briefly played the original Deus Ex, Human Revolution was very gud though!

It did not aged that well, but I bet there are more to up resolution and add few more colours then 256 :) .

I have replayed fallout 2 countless times. I personally think fallout 2 makes wasteland a lot better then fallout 3 and maybe 1000times better then new Vegas. Great game.

I played a good bit of tactics too, but that would be the weakest fallout game if you ask me.

The original fallout was the weakest in my opinion. Tactics had its problems. playing strictly turn based it was too slow and playing in real time it could be a clunky mess, though once you got a nice balance between the two it was pretty entertaining. I played them on my old laptop which wasn't much of a graphics beast so I didn't mind the low res textures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Can't believe people havent played stuff like Mario, Zelda and Metroid, you can get a snes emulator and the roms in 5 mins. I thought I was bad not having played Deus Ex 1 or 2 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Never even seen any Legend of Zelda games being played
    Never played any Final Fantasy games
    Never played Goldeneye
    Metroid

Probably a lot more I've never played that I can't think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Tbh those games (which i have played all of them Hipster is me) are brilliant but they are just the groundwork for other games.

Darksiders is as good as Zelda OOT (best game ever) in the linear sense but it falls away in the non linear sense, you can fcuk about in OOT cant really in Darksiders. Darksiders has a much better fighting mechanic than Zelda. But in the meat and bones "dungeon " end of it Darksiders is brilliant but Zelda nailed it all years ago better in some ways but both amazing games.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Never played Spyro the Dragon or Tomb Raider, only played Crash Bandicoot for the first time recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Classics I've never played... Golden Axe, Alex Kidd, Castlevania (original stuff, I did play a DS game), Diablo, Gabriel Knight, Pokémon, Bomberman, Dragon Quest, Mega Man, Nights, Perfect Dark (I did play the PD0 demo).

Glancing over a list of franchises, 8-bit and Sega seem to be my blind spots. I though arcade games would've been another blind spot, but I seem to have played a lot of the classics either as re-releases or maybe emulated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

im after putting a ps1 emulator onto my samsung s3 with hopes of playing all my unfinished/untouched ps1 rpg's :D could be a long road haha just after starting up FF7 then il try xenogears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I think if there's been one game I've replayed both on the snes and on emulator many many times it's Super Metroid. Simply wonderful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

None of the mass effect games or assassins creed games

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

I think in years to come ME2 will be considered an all time classic. It is certainly one of, if not the best game of this generation. Along with ACII: Brotherhood.

ME2 and AC Brotherhood, best of this generation :confused:, your joking right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

ME2 is probably the worst least good of the ME trilogy I think. Any way, I've never played any FF games either. I did install a FF7 (I think) demo but I basically took one look and uninstalled it again. Was never into Pokémon either so haven't played them. Are any even considered classics? There's a few games sitting my GOG account I haven't downloaded yet too: Neverwinter Nights, Syndicate, Psychonauts, Advent Rising and Septerra Core. They all have very good reviews, I just haven't had the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In a few years time when ME2 is old and creaky it's not going to hold a candle to real classic RPGs like Fallout 2 or Planescape Torment. It's fun but it's severely lacking in the choice and openness of those games. The writing is pretty standard as well especially in comparison to the excellent writing of the Black Isle games.

ME2 and AC Brotherhood, best of this generation :confused:, your joking right ?

Not at all. I don't see what is strange about that statement. Both games are fantastic. Between the two of them I've invested close to 80 hours I'd imagine. You have to remember it is all about personal opinion and in my opinion these two might be the best games of the last 7 or 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Can't believe people havent played stuff like Mario, Zelda and Metroid, you can get a snes emulator and the roms in 5 mins. I thought I was bad not having played Deus Ex 1 or 2 :pac:

You could be forgiven for Deus Ex 2, that had more in common with a steaming pile than a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Penn wrote: »
    Never even seen any Legend of Zelda games being played
    Never played any Final Fantasy games
    Never played Goldeneye
    Metroid

Probably a lot more I've never played that I can't think of.

You can ignore that one. It has aged so horribly beyond redemption

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

I never played Descent or any of the Metroid games, Goldeneye or the Super Mario Galaxy Games.

Advertisement