Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic games I've never played

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Oh and I don't get this excessive ME love. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are easily the finest games Bioware have produced (or are ever likely to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Kotor1 was also a great bioware game, really went downhill after ea, arnt the two bioware founders gone from the company now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

lazlo wrote: »
    Oh and I don't get this excessive ME love. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are easily the finest games Bioware have produced (or are ever likely to)

Which one would you reccomend? I have both but never played more than 10 mins of either. I'm more inclined to play BG2 to be honest

BG2 is the better game. Same engine as the first, but a more refined deployment of it. However the full scale and scope of the series is only appreciated by playing both game with their expansions.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Never played Sims, Final Fantasy or Half-Life...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

might be worth playing the new update of Baldur's Gate since it includes a lot of the refinements from the sequel and some new content.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Not at all. I don't see what is strange about that statement. Both games are fantastic. Between the two of them I've invested close to 80 hours I'd imagine. You have to remember it is all about personal opinion and in my opinion these two might be the best games of the last 7 or 8 years.

Fair enough, lets agree to disagree :D.
    I got tired of brotherhood within 5 or 6 hours, probably because i played part 2 to death, in brotherhood it felt like i was just doing the same thing over again, but in part 2 it was fresh and new.. personally think part 2 was by far the best in the series with a better chance of been considered a "classic" in ten years time.

Deus ex HR is my classic of this gen, i think its a gem.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    might be worth playing the new update of Baldur's Gate since it includes a lot of the refinements from the sequel and some new content.

it uses the same engine as the sequel but it's buggy as hell apparently. You're better off getting both games and heading over to Spellhold Studios and using one of their Mega-Mods to merge them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I never played the NES or Game Boy Zeldas. And never properly played Majora's Mask

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I would have a long list of classics I havent played. For one thing, the sum total of my experience with anything made by Nintendo was one afternoon playing Goldeneye in a friends house, and playing a Gameboy I got on loan for a week!
    So Ive never played any Mario or Zelda games.

I started out with a megadrive then onto a Playstation. Never surfed the FF7 wave back in the day either. Saw a friend playing it one Sunday afternoon and knew it wasnt for me. Oh and I suppose Resident Evil 1 + 2 (and 4 actually) not sure if they would be classics but they certainly are huge milestones that started franchises. As I said in another thread, Im not a big horror fan so only started on Resi 5! Never played any Silent Hill either obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've never played Portal, or Counterstrike. Do they count as classics?

Also, don't think I ever played Doom.

Also, don't think I ever played Doom.

Portal is probably less than a fiver and is over in 3 hours, absolutely no excuse to pick it up.

Counter-strike was to me what COD is the current generation of younger gamers. Its completely forgettable if your not into that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yes, portal is a great little game with a great sequel and if any online shooter can be considered a classic, its CS.. easily the most important/iconic/competitive online shooter to date.
    Grimebox wrote: »
    Counter-strike was to me what COD is the current generation of younger gamers. Its completely forgettable if your not into that sort of thing.

And completely unforgettable if you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

From reading the thread Baldur's Gate, X-Wing/TIE Fighter, and UFO: Enemy Unknown are all on my not-played classics list, as is Silent Hill 2 (I'm not sure the original Resident Evil is considered classic, said to have aged badly). I'd really like to play TIE Fighter.

Btw, I thought Knights of the Old Republic was decent, nothing special. Super Metroid is a must-play for everyone who really loves games. Super Mario World isn't a patch on Mario 3; I'd actually consider Yoshi's Island the better SNES Mario game.

Also, on Portal. I really enjoyed it, but it's basically an extended demo. And people call it one of the best games ever; I just don't understand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kinski wrote: »
    From reading the thread Baldur's Gate, X-Wing/TIE Fighter, and UFO: Enemy Unknown are all on my not-played classics list, as is Silent Hill 2 (I'm not sure the original Resident Evil is considered classic, said to have aged badly). I'd really like to play TIE Fighter.

Btw, I thought Knights of the Old Republic was decent, nothing special. Super Metroid is a must-play for everyone who really loves games. Super Mario World isn't a patch on Mario 3; I'd actually consider Yoshi's Island the better SNES Mario game.

Also, on Portal. I really enjoyed it, but it's basically an extended demo. And people call it one of the best games ever; I just don't understand!

It's the humour, genius design and the storyline that make it a great, simple game, its a perfect example of how to take one gameplay mechanic and make it work for a game that doesn't outstay its welcome. and its funny as hell.

I prefer Mario World to Mario 3 myself, its by and away my fave Mario game, 3 then Galaxy 2 are next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Super Mario World isn't a patch on Mario 3; I'd actually consider Yoshi's Island the better SNES Mario game.

Wow. I just don't understand that at all.

Super Mario World takes everything that is good about SMB3 and expands on it in every way. Bigger game, better graphics, better music, new moves and Yoshi.

Magill wrote: »
    Yes, portal is a great little game with a great sequel and if any online shooter can be considered a classic, its CS.. easily the most important/iconic/competitive online shooter to date.

And completely unforgettable if you are.

Which is why I've been playing it for almost 15 years ;)

Extended demo? What does that even mean?

And KOTOR was a decent RPG set in one of the most popular franchises in the world, while not necassarily a classic, it was certainly something special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Which is why I've been playing it for almost 15 years ;)

How many "Classics" can claim that much time eh :D Must have put in 12,000(Probably a lot more) hours in the 12 or so years i've been playing the game. Ridiculous really !

krudler wrote: »
    I prefer Mario World to Mario 3 myself, its by and away my fave Mario game, 3 then Galaxy 2 are next.
    Super Mario World takes everything that is good about SMB3 and expands on it in every way. Bigger game, better graphics, better music, new moves and Yoshi.

On a personal level, 3 just means more to me than World, being a massive event game from my childhood, and coming late in the NES's life-cycle; it felt like the culmination of everything Nintendo had done with that console (even the graphics hold up, unlike pretty much every other NES title). World just didn't have that impact, being a launch title on a console I didn't own.

But there was gameplay stuff I didn't like about World...seem to remember if you lost Yoshi, you'd often have to do quite a bit of backtracking to get him from an earlier stage.

And the Yoshi sections in Galaxy 2 were a bit poo *ducks*

• Advertisement

Extended demo? What does that even mean?

It means it's very short. I thought they were just trialling a majorly-innovative gameplay addition for Half-Life 3, rather than launching a new franchise (an assumption reinforced somewhat by the developers' commentary track, where they talked about just being at the very beginning of what they would do with it.)

I suppose part of my problem stems from the fact that we don't differentiate game forms in terms of length as much as we do in other areas of arts and culture. We don't consider short films "equivalent" to feature films, or short stories to novels. For instance, it would seem a bit unfair to rate The Turn of the Screw higher than War and Peace, when one is about 40,000 words long and the other is well over half-a-million. But people talk about Portal being better than Half-Life 2. To be sure, they both have great gameplay, brilliantly-realised gameworlds, and excellent scripts, but one sustains it over maybe 15hrs, the other over just, what, 3 or 4?
    And KOTOR was a decent RPG set in one of the most popular franchises in the world, while not necassarily a classic, it was certainly something special

Meh. It was much more orientated towards the po-faced scale of space opera than the movies. Didn't have that swashbuckling adventure feel I associate with the franchise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

For anyone who hasn't played Half Life:

First: Seriously wtf? :P

Second: This

Its a remake of the original on the Half Life 2 engine. Its free, it should run on pretty much anything you can by in the shops today, and its quality!
    Easily the best FPS I've played this year.

The original is still a great game too, and will run on your latest calculators I'd imagine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I have to say I've always preferred SMB3 to SMW too. And KOTOR is a classic and considering the potential in KOTOR 2 I will be very interested to see what comes of this RPG Obsidian are supposedly pitching to Lucas Arts.

It means it's very short. I thought they were just trialling a majorly-innovative gameplay addition for Half-Life 3, rather than launching a new franchise (an assumption reinforced somewhat by the developers' commentary track, where they talked about just being at the very beginning of what they would do with it.)

I suppose part of my problem stems from the fact that we don't differentiate game forms in terms of length as much as we do in other areas of arts and culture. We don't consider short films "equivalent" to feature films, or short stories to novels. For instance, it would seem a bit unfair to rate The Turn of the Screw higher than War and Peace, when one is about 40,000 words long and the other is well over half-a-million. But people talk about Portal being better than Half-Life 2. To be sure, they both have great gameplay, brilliantly-realised gameworlds, and excellent scripts, but one sustains it over maybe 15hrs, the other over just, what, 3 or 4?

Meh. It was much more orientated towards the po-faced scale of space opera than the movies. Didn't have that swashbuckling adventure feel I associate with the franchise.

I'm one of those freaks that think Portal is the perfect length for a game. I got more utility out of Portal than I did HL2. Both are fantastic though of course

but HL2 is overrated...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Panzer Dragoon Saga. The only unplayed "classic" that I'd be remotely interested in dedicating some time to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Never really been interested in 'Mech' games, but I always wanted to atleast try Steel Battalion with this controller! :D

lazlo wrote: »
    BG2 is the better game. Same engine as the first, but a more refined deployment of it. However the full scale and scope of the series is only appreciated by playing both game with their expansions.

Do I go for Shadows of Amn or Throne of Baal? I'm not sure if TOB is just extras on top or a different game entirely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

dorkacle wrote: »
    Never really been interested in 'Mech' games, but I always wanted to atleast try Steel Battalion with this controller! :D

years ago I worked in hmv and was in charge of buying in stock for the games section, and I ordered one of those for the craic :pac: sold it too! manager was like a bull thinking it'd never shift I thought I'd have to buy it myself lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

(I'm not sure the original Resident Evil is considered classic, said to have aged badly)

If you think RE1 has aged badly (I wouldn't consider it to be very badly aged) then try RE:Remake on the Gamecube (or get an emulator on the PC). Still looks one of the best games made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think in years to come ME2 will be considered an all time classic. It is certainly one of, if not the best game of this generation. Along with ACII: Brotherhood.
    No, not even close. ME1 or ME3 possibly yes (ME1 being the role play game with a fun buggy, ME3 being the epic action adventure story streamlined utterly for consoles and easy consumption but having some "epic" decisions on who dies), Borderlands 2 maybe, Fallout 3 possibly. But ME2? No, not even close to best in generation; it's bland, boring and bring nothing that the ME1 or ME3 does not do better.

Advertisement