Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic games I've never played

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Ok, thanks for the tip, I was not aware of that. Still, I'l hang on for a HD release, it WILL happen eventually. No MGS for me until then :p

I played 2 and 3 (which is prob better than 2 tbh) before I played the original myself, I downloaded it from the PS Store just to have it under my belt.

Being honest, the graphics aren't great, but its more than playable!
    I really enjoyed it once I got into it! Nice to have the background for the sequels.
    And considering they have released HD versions of 2 and 3 without updating the original, I think you will be waiting awhile. :(

Although, there are rumours that one of the 2 MGS games Konami is working on at the moment is a complete remake of the original :D

And no knocking MGS 4, I bought a PS3 just for that and it was awesome!!

MGS Fanboy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What are you guys talking about. The graphics are amazing.

Exhibit A:

tumblr_lc6xulOycw1qd4wc4o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

dorkacle wrote: »
    And no knocking MGS 4, I bought a PS3 just for that and it was awesome!!

MGS Fanboy :pac:

I really enjoyed it too, not as much as 1 or 3 but still moreso than a lot of games this generation. Yeah its cheesy, poorly written etc but i still really liked it. Some people on this forum can't help themselves but whinge about it every time its mentioned tho, like a broken record sometimes :D

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I bought a PS3 just for that and thought it was a huge disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

sarumite wrote: »
    Civ is greatest game I never play. Only because I want a life and having spent too many nights turning into mornings with the "one more turn" attitude wasn't good. I was thinking of getting Civ revolutions as I heard it is less involved.

That's the excuse I use for not playing WoW, but the truth is I have no idea how to play it. Pretty much the case for all MMOs for me, don't really have the patience to learn the ropes.

Struggling to think of many other games I haven't played at all, a lot I have played only a small bit of such as Quake, Tycoon series, Half Life, Final Fantasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I don't know if it's been said, but i never played Wing Comander...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't know if it's been said, but i never played Wing Comander...

Neither have I but you also reminded me of a classic I never got the chance to play. Elite. I don't think I've ever ehard a bad review of it ever. Would loved to have gotten the chance to enjoy it back in the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Tetris....

no I lie, I lie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I think in years to come ME2 will be considered an all time classic. It is certainly one of, if not the best game of this generation. Along with ACII: Brotherhood.

How could you class AC:B as a classic? :eek: Clunky, simplistic controls, and a bloated, unnecessarily large game.

I started gaming on the NES circa 1992, so anything predating that (or on the Master System) I haven't played. Secret of Mana, I really need to sit down with that some day.

How could you class AC:B as a classic? :eek: Clunky, simplistic controls, and a bloated, unnecessarily large game.

I started gaming on the NES circa 1992, so anything predating that (or on the Master System) I haven't played. Secret of Mana, I really need to sit down with that some day.

Played it to death growing up, yet I would not recommend it. There are so many better RPG's out there. If you can find two friends to play with than thats a different story

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd definitely recommend Secret of Mana. It's gorgeous looking and still is loads of fun. The soundtrack is peerless, much better than the tuneless b-list movie orchestrations most game have today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Ok, thanks for the tip, I was not aware of that. Still, I'l hang on for a HD release, it WILL happen eventually. No MGS for me until then :p
    A HD release would look even more ass. Snake's face would look like tetris blocks. It's never going to happen anyway, it's already been remade once and fans have practically disowned that version of the game.

Just go play it. You won't regret it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

snausages wrote: »
    A HD release would look even more ass. Snake's face would look like tetris blocks. It's never going to happen anyway, it's already been remade once and fans have practically disowned that version of the game.

Just go play it. You won't regret it ;)

Ah, well I kinda meant the HD treatment that Ocarina of time and Starfox got on the 3DS. Which is more of a total overhaul of the games graphics than a HD update. I probably should have specified! Yes, a straight HD update would look like ass :D

Also, never played any Bioshock, Assasins creed or God of war game!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd definitely recommend Secret of Mana. It's gorgeous looking and still is loads of fun. The soundtrack is peerless, much better than the tuneless b-list movie orchestrations most game have today.

I completely change my mind actually after looking the game up! Now I want to get snes9x running for a bit of multiplayer

Its time to do something I shoulda done 14 years ago, Im finally gonna play Metal Gear Solid! :-) I decided to go with the original, after searching ebay for a copy of the twin snakes, I realised it would cost me €60 to play it. That wasnt gonna happen. Would have to drag out the ol cube as well. So a tenner on the playstation store instead, I have it downloading as I type :-) @31% !
    Been reading reviews for this today during work, why the Hell did I wait so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Duke Nukem

AHHHHHH!! MY EYES!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're lucky you didn't get twin snakes. It's a pile of ****e compared to the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just started MGS myself. Up to the Canyon. Have it on GameCube but after seeing all the comments here, I got the original version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You're lucky you didn't get twin snakes. It's a pile of ****e compared to the original.

Yes, it's ridiculous. It's like someone at Silicon Knights took a sneak peak at DMC3 and decided that the only way to make Snake 'cool' for current gamers was to have him surfing rockets and dodging bullets and all sorts of stupid crap. :rolleyes:

The graphics might not be very nice in MGS but the voice acting is much better. They had to have all the VAs reprise their roles in Twin Snakes. You can hear how bored they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Its time to do something I shoulda done 14 years ago, Im finally gonna play Metal Gear Solid! :-) I decided to go with the original, after searching ebay for a copy of the twin snakes, I realised it would cost me €60 to play it. That wasnt gonna happen. Would have to drag out the ol cube as well. So a tenner on the playstation store instead, I have it downloading as I type :-) @31% !
    Been reading reviews for this today during work, why the Hell did I wait so long?

Its arguably the greatest game ever released. Its hard to realise now how amazing it was when it came out in '98, but it was completely different to anything I'd ever played. The stealth aspects, story and alternate endings really made it a stone-cold classic. It was never bettered by the subsequent MGS releases either, its by far the best of the series.

Enjoy it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Never played a Zelda game, keep meaning to get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Polar101

I have never played any NES/SNES/Megadrive games. I think that covers quite a few classics there. :)

I did have a Gamecube so I can at least say I've played a Metroid or a Zelda game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

I've never had the good fortune to play any of the Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Xenosaga, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid or Silent hill games

I need to get out more in terms of games...

PandaX9 wrote: »
    Xenosaga

Don't bother, they're not very good. Thankfully Xenoblade turned out to be a corker,might be because it had nothing to do with xenosaga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Earthbound
    mother 3
    skies of arcadia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

RodgersLFC wrote: »
    It was never bettered by the subsequent MGS releases either, its by far the best of the series.

Enjoy it :)

I'd actually rate MGS3 slightly higher. Much better gameplay, tighter story, boss fights pretty much on par with MGS1.

It's fairly close between the two of them though. I just wouldn't dismiss MGS3 so easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Penn wrote: »
    But do those games still hold up for people who have never played them before and wouldn't be playing them with rose-tinted glasses, and are they worth spending time playing more than current games out there?

I'm just saying, I could easily spend a few hours getting an emulator and playing Sonic, and a lot of the enjoyment would probably come from nostalgia. But I'd have zero urge to do that for Metroid when I could be playing current gen games instead.

You hit the nail on the head; To somebody that did not play the games when they came out, they'd probably fail to make an impression; it's more or less the same story as kids that consider Justin Bieber as the best thing ever and fail to understand the hype around four strange guys called "Beatles".

There is, however, a difference: while anybody that was barely self-aware in the '60s and '70s has, willingly or not, listened to the Beatles, there were so many systems and titles in the early days of gaming that completely separate experiences arose from the same years. For example, I'm 32 and therefore was a kid in the '80s and early '90s, but still the first console I owned was...a Playstation 2 bought with my own money in 2001.

I grew up with a Commodore 64 until the early '90s, when I made the switch to PC. Therefore, I didn't play the various Super Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Sonic and the likes until I decided to have a look through emulators in recent years and, quite sure, I can't get the hype about most of them: Mario is fun, the dated graphics and stiff controls don't really detract from it, Metroid is ok, I just can't get myself to keep playing any Zelda game as they look and feel like something geared towards a 10 years old kid - the age I was actually supposed to play them for the first time.

In contrast, I can start a C64 emulator, pick up some REALLY crappy game with extremely poor controls, non-existent playability and graphics that will make my eyes bleed within 5 minutes and still enjoy it for hours because I enjoyed them as a child - the infamous "rose tinted glasses" effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Penn wrote: »
    I'd actually rate MGS3 slightly higher. Much better gameplay, tighter story, boss fights pretty much on par with MGS1.

It's fairly close between the two of them though. I just wouldn't dismiss MGS3 so easily.

MGS3 is great but the original is still my favourite, just because of the impact it made at the time. Remember the fight where you have to plug into controller port 2 for it? That was genius.

Loved the flashback part in the last MGS as well, where you're back at the heli-pad. Brought back memories, and caused me to go and play through the first game all over again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Never played Final Fantasy 7,
    although i have played 8,9,10 and 13... only ever finished 8.

Advertisement