Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property in Park West, Dublin 12

Options
  • 12-02-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hi everyone we have some question please if you know it answer it or give us advices thanks in advance.
    1 is parkwest safe place to live?
    2 why the property's sale price is so different one is 80000and another one 122000?
    3 apt is noisy in Dublin is there any company can do soundproofing things? are they really working?
    4 when we go to see the apts can we talk to the neighborhood or management, is it rude to ask them if they are noisy or keeping dog ? can we knock their doors to talk to them? is it bad idea to check my neighbors noisy or quiet? any advice please?

5 in my opinion looking for good apt is easy but very hard to find good neighbors, am i wrong?

thanks please if you know it or you can give us advice please tell us we were really tired to deal with the agents and we really want help because we are foreigners here..thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wenyunou wrote: »
    1 is parkwest safe place to live?
    Generally yes. Just make sure it is Park West. The areas north of the railway, south of the canal or west of the motorway are not Park West. North of the railway, Cherry Orchard and Ronanstown (both) would be considered a bit rough. Historically, Ballyfermot would have been considered rough, but is quite a mature area. West of the motorway and south of the canal, the east end of Clondalkin seems OK.
    2 why the property's sale price is so different one is 80000and another one 122000?
    The properties may be very different. Not just size and fit out, but also:
    * what direction it points - do the bedrooms get noise from the motorway, railway or industrial areas? Do you get good day light?
    * what floor you are on - ground floor has a higher burglary risk. Upper floors might have views of the mountains / city. First and second floords may have problems if there are retail units on the ground floor. What happens if the lift breaks down?
    * does it having parking and storage space?
    3 apt is noisy in Dublin is there any company can do soundproofing things? are they really working?
    Yes, there are many companies that can do work. It might serve you well to find out why it is noisy.
    4 when we go to see the apts can we talk to the neighborhood or management, is it rude to ask them if they are noisy or keeping dog ? can we knock their doors to talk to them? is it bad idea to check my neighbors noisy or quiet? any advice please?
    You can ask anything you want, but there is no obligation to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 wenyunou

Victor wrote: »
    Generally yes. Just make sure it is Park West. The areas north of the railway, south of the canal or west of the motorway are not Park West. North of the railway, Cherry Orchard and Ronanstown (both) would be considered a bit rough. Historically, Ballyfermot would have been considered rough, but is quite a mature area. West of the motorway and south of the canal, the east end of Clondalkin seems OK.

The properties may be very different. Not just size and fit out, but also:
    * what direction it points - do the bedrooms get noise from the motorway, railway or industrial areas? Do you get good day light?
    * what floor you are on - ground floor has a higher burglary risk. Upper floors might have views of the mountains / city. First and second floords may have problems if there are retail units on the ground floor. What happens if the lift breaks down?
    * does it having parking and storage space?

Yes, there are many companies that can do work. It might serve you well to find out why it is noisy.

You can ask anything you want, but there is no obligation to answer.

thank you very much i have learned much from your answers.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Why not rent there for a while before buying? Park West is not exactly a place I would choose to live, you're in the middle of an industrial estate with no facilities except for a Spar, a pharmacy and a sandwich shop, and with poor public transport links. There is the railway station but it only goes to Heuston and the schedule is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why not rent there for a while before buying? Park West is not exactly a place I would choose to live, you're in the middle of an industrial estate with no facilities except for a Spar, a pharmacy and a sandwich shop, and with poor public transport links. There is the railway station but it only goes to Heuston and the schedule is terrible.

I lived there 5 years ago and it would seem from this post that it hasn't improved with regards to amenities. At that time the spar wasnt even open on sundays. It's in the middle of nowhere and if you don't drive it's a pain to get anywhere due to the atrocious public transport. Also, there were some issues with loud parties and people trashing the lifts and hallways. Although it could well be totally different now, maybe someone who lived there more recently could advise?

thank you very much. we don't have mortgage we only pay that with cash. and the apt there kind of cheaper than the others i think it is because the poor bus what you mentioned. i only can balance between two bad sides. and choose the second worst one. ....

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »

I lived there 5 years ago and it would seem from this post that it hasn't improved with regards to amenities. At that time the spar wasnt even open on sundays. It's in the middle of nowhere and if you don't drive it's a pain to get anywhere due to the atrocious public transport. Also, there were some issues with loud parties and people trashing the lifts and hallways. Although it could well be totally different now, maybe someone who lived there more recently could advise?
    thank you very much.do you remember which building did you live in ,the pointe building or academy building or concert building? the building opposite the plaza shopping center etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

thank you very much.do you remember which building did you live in ,the pointe building or academy building or concert building? the building opposite the plaza shopping center etc.

It was the crescent

ceadaoin. wrote: »

It was the crescent
    thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Missus worked there till about a year ago.
    Wouldn't dream of living there. It's an industrial estate, completely isolated with no facilities and poor public transport links.
    Oh and if you feel like going for a drink, this is your local.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's not the prettiest area in Dublin that's for sure. It lacks a lot of amenities within walking distance but the transport links are actually not bad. The 79a starts in Parkwest, the 151 goes along the Nangor Road and the train station, although not the commuter station it was promised to be, has a train every hour.

That article is 4 years old. I think we could all drag up old articles about crime for every area in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

gaius c wrote: »
    Not any more, it closed last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

This is your best transport option, and it's very reliable.

In it's favour, Parkwest has security for the apartments, the office park & the shopping plaza, and there's a gym as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Three questions;
    If coming here for the first time, why rent and not buy?
    Why are you buying in Park West?
    Do you have a job, and if so, where is it located?

I ask as I'm curious why anyone would want to buy somewhere that has so little things.

gaius c wrote: »
    Missus worked there till about a year ago.
    Wouldn't dream of living there. It's an industrial estate, completely isolated with no facilities and poor public transport links.
    thanks million

It's not the prettiest area in Dublin that's for sure. It lacks a lot of amenities within walking distance but the transport links are actually not bad. The 79a starts in Parkwest, the 151 goes along the Nangor Road and the train station, although not the commuter station it was promised to be, has a train every hour.

That article is 4 years old. I think we could all drag up old articles about crime for every area in Dublin.
    thanks very much.

Not any more, it closed last year.
    thank you

This is your best transport option, and it's very reliable.

In it's favour, Parkwest has security for the apartments, the office park & the shopping plaza, and there's a gym as well.

thanks are you living there at moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

surely you must have more options than just Parkwest?
    why not rent first as has been suggested, especially if you are new here, give you time to get your bearings.

I considered if I ever moved, Id knock into the neighbours, with apartments the number of neighbours could mean at least some are rented, if so, tenants could move within a year or less and asking the neighbours might be fruitless as they may move.

the_syco wrote: »
    Three questions;
    If coming here for the first time, why rent and not buy?
    Why are you buying in Park West?
    Do you have a job, and if so, where is it located?

I ask as I'm curious why anyone would want to buy somewhere that has so little things.
    thanks we have been here nine years, renting is losing money. because good amenities plus good transportation means that apt are higher price, we don't have mortgage and tired of bank face. every month we paid nine hundred on renting. I just need an apt can keep my money and maybe years later we change to buy house with little garden.(︶^︶)we working inDublin 14 and 22.

Merch wrote: »
    surely you must have more options than just Parkwest?
    why not rent first as has been suggested, especially if you are new here, give you time to get your bearings.

I considered if I ever moved, Id knock into the neighbours, with apartments the number of neighbours could mean at least some are rented, if so, tenants could move within a year or less and asking the neighbours might be fruitless as they may move.
    thanks I didn't think of that. yes.......I have to think about that the moving neighborhood. I just wondering thatin Ireland if your neighbor very noisy .do I have the rights to ask the landlord to get the tenants out. is it unfriendly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Remember if you buy an apartment you'll have service charges on top of your mortgage. I'm guessing that service charges on even a one bed there would be at least €1000 per year. So you'd have to budget a minimum of €85 a month but it could be as high as €150-175 a month.

I'm not sure how much those apartments would sell for nowadays but you'd have to allow that interest rates are very low at the moment but may not always stay that low.

So it's possible that you'll be paying €900 or more a month as an owner.

The downside of being an owner is you can't easily move if you want to/need to in the future.

I also wouldn't be buying an apartment today with the view of selling it in the next few years. You almost definitely won't make a profit, those days are long gone, and there are fees involved with buying and selling property. If you're buying an apartment it should be a place you can live in for many years including if/when you start a family.

I'm speaking from personal experience there as wr've got our 2nd baby on the way and are lucky enough to be able to live relatively comfortably in our apartment because we wouldn't have a hope in hell of selling in the near future. We're in negative equity and we didn't even buy at the peak.

Remember if you buy an apartment you'll have service charges on top of your mortgage. I'm guessing that service charges on even a one bed there would be at least €1000 per year. So you'd have to budget a minimum of €85 a month but it could be as high as €150-175 a month.

I'm not sure how much those apartments would sell for nowadays but you'd have to allow that interest rates are very low at the moment but may not always stay that low.

So it's possible that you'll be paying €900 or more a month as an owner.

The downside of being an owner is you can't easily move if you want to/need to in the future.

I also wouldn't be buying an apartment today with the view of selling it in the next few years. You almost definitely won't make a profit, those days are long gone, and there are fees involved with buying and selling property. If you're buying an apartment it should be a place you can live in for many years including if/when you start a family.

I'm speaking from personal experience there as wr've got our 2nd baby on the way and are lucky enough to be able to live relatively comfortably in our apartment because we wouldn't have a hope in hell of selling in the near future. We're in negative equity and we didn't even buy at the peak.

thanks very much.I print what you mentioned to my notebook. thanks for every single advice. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

maybe years later we change to buy house with little garden.
    In two years the apartment above you may be rented to people who like loud music, and then you will have no options. Loud noise in house next to you can be blocked. Loud noise from above can not so cheap.

At the rate the prices are going, you buy now for €120k, you sell in many years for €60k. If shops nearby close, less to do, you sell for less.

=-=

Would you consider Tallaght? It's south of Dublin 22, and west of Dublin 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

the_syco wrote: »
    In two years the apartment above you may be rented to people who like loud music, and then you will have no options. Loud noise in house next to you can be blocked. Loud noise from above can not so cheap.

At the rate the prices are going, you buy now for €120k, you sell in many years for €60k. If shops nearby close, less to do, you sell for less.

=-=

Would you consider Tallaght? It's south of Dublin 22, and west of Dublin 14.

Id second that, but would suggest looking in areas all around you OP,
    Tallaght, Clondalkin, Palmerstown, maybe even some parts of Ballyfermot.
    With a house you minimise the number of potential neighbours and potential issues, you get (usually) your own parking and garden (ie a certain amount of privacy). You also dont have to pay management fees, while there are costs associated with maintaining a house, you can seek the best value for what you need and want, in an apartment you are tied to the management company and any cost increases or difficulties with them.

There are pros and cons of houses and apartments, in my view apartments should be a viable option for living in, but the way things are with management companies and lack of enforcement of social behaviour I think houses are a better option.

Advertisement