Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refereeing in Local Leagues

• 12-02-2013 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just new on the Soccer Forum and i was wondering if any of the Boardsies actually referee in their local leagues.
    I started refereeing this season and i actually dont mind it - you have to listen to some amount of ****e but thats part of the job. For every sound fella you get to know you get to know 4/5 proper as*holes, the type that mouth and cry week in, week out forgetting the fact that they are **** and playing on a team thats just as **** and then if you meet them on a night out, jesus, their all, why do you always book me? why do you not like us?
    Even the people watching the games, some parents at U-12/14 matches are mental, screaming blue murder at the young ones sometimes and then they turn on you when you tell them to cool it.
    Very few players would have any idea what its like to be "in the middle", your guaranteed to have at least one set of men calling at you every week, if not to your face then defo behind your back but i still enjoy it anyway, maybe you just have to be a certain type of person, i dunno.

Anyway, i was just wondering if their are any fellow blind, useless tossers on here or am i fighting the good fight by myself like i do most Sundays lol.
    Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I did the course to allow me to ref up to the age of under 13 I think. Anyway my local club needed a ref for a tournament they were hosting that consisted of girls primary schools from around the county. No bother I thought, all the games taking place on the astro turf too to make things easier.

I just wasn't prepared for the wild eyed principal on the sideline telling the young girls to "forget about the referee" because "he doesn't know what he is doing" oh and dont forget that "he'll do better in the second half"

Between that and being berated by a bunch of 11 year old girls because I called a free for the other team because one of their players was clearly kicked in the ankle all added up to me hanging up the whistle for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Special Agent Oso

I did the course to allow me to ref up to the age of under 13 I think. Anyway my local club needed a ref for a tournament they were hosting that consisted of girls primary schools from around the county. No bother I thought, all the games taking place on the astro turf too to make things easier.

I just wasn't prepared for the wild eyed principal on the sideline telling the young girls to "forget about the referee" because "he doesn't know what he is doing" oh and dont forget that "he'll do better in the second half"

Between that and being berated by a bunch of 11 year old girls because I called a free for the other team because one of their players was clearly kicked in the ankle all added up to me hanging up the whistle for good.

pah!!! pussy;) i joke, i joke. The "you dont know what your doing" is a classic, used that one myself to be fair, but thats when i was playing - i knew a lot more back then..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

pah!!! pussy;) i joke, i joke. The "you dont know what your doing" is a classic, used that one myself to be fair, but thats when i was playing - i knew a lot more back then..

haha, I still play and I hear it used a bit but it's usually by lads at 11am hungover on a cold Sunday morning, I wasn't ready for the principal of a girls primary school to unleash lines like that:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

I referee Gaelic and Hurling up to under 12s so can sympathise with you. I'd imagine its harder with football with offside and penalties and generally only a few goals a game whereas in gaa there's 10-15 at least meaning a mistake is more costly.

Although I recently reffed an under 12 friendly on a full sized pitch. The pace of the game im sure was twice as fast as any football game. Was up and down the pitch like a yo-yo!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

haha, I still play and I hear it used a bit but it's usually by lads at 11am hungover on a cold Sunday morning, I wasn't ready for the principal of a girls primary school to unleash lines like that:confused:

That actually doesn't surprise me in the slightest to be honest.

• Advertisement

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    I referee Gaelic and Hurling up to under 12s so can sympathise with you. I'd imagine its harder with football with offside and penalties and generally only a few goals a game whereas in gaa there's 10-15 at least meaning a mistake is more costly.

Although I recently reffed an under 12 friendly on a full sized pitch. The pace of the game im sure was twice as fast as any football game. Was up and down the pitch like a yo-yo!!

The offsides are impossible at times, you just go by what you see. Hate reffing U-12's tbh its crazy football, you try and avoid them on the pitch but they just seem to follow you around lol.

Refereeing Hurling? Jes no thanks thats a fitness level im nowhere near, id say yo-yo is putting it lightly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hi all,

I started refereeing this season and i actually dont mind it - you have to listen to some amount of ****e but thats part of the job. For every sound fella you get to know you get to know 4/5 proper as*holes, the type that mouth and cry week in, week out forgetting the fact that they are **** and playing on a team thats just as **** and then if you meet them on a night out, jesus, their all, why do you always book me? .
    i hate refs with that attitude
    so what if your not playing pro football
    u want to win the game & not lose the game so your going to have lads gettin frustated its perfectly normal

MD1990 wrote: »
    i hate refs with that attitude
    so what if your not playing pro football
    u want to win the game & not lose the game so your going to have lads gettin frustated its perfectly normal

Its got nothing to do with playing pro football or any other level of football, my point was every team has its "mouths" and very rarely those players in question are as good as they think they are and 9 times out of 10 their own team end up telling them to shut it. Im not talking about not getting a free or getting blown up for offside and having a go, im on about the ones that blame everybody and everything around them for their 50 yard passes or bicycle kicks not coming off and then turn on ref's when they get booked for calling us useless ****.

Its got nothing to do with playing pro football or any other level of football, my point was every team has its "mouths" and very rarely those players in question are as good as they think they are and 9 times out of 10 their own team end up telling them to shut it. Im not talking about not getting a free or getting blown up for offside and having a go, im on about the ones that blame everybody and everything around them for their 50 yard passes or bicycle kicks not coming off and then turn on ref's when they get booked for calling us useless ****.
    but u said the whole team was sh1t though
    it sounds like u were saying that the teams i ref are sh1t so why should they care
    which is a terrible attitude for a ref to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

but u said the whole team was sh1t though
    it sounds like u were saying that the teams i ref are sh1t so why should they care
    which is a terrible attitude for a ref to have

this in your experience of reffing games or watching games or playing games? Not sure which part of "that team is ****" is your experience.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    this in your experience of reffing games or watching games or playing games? Not sure which part of "that team is ****" is your experience.
    what are u on about in my experience?
    im referring to the guy who is a ref previous posts
    i play the game

what are u on about in my experience?
    im referring to the guy who is a ref previous posts
    i play the game

yeah, EVERY team i ref are ****e and that includes EVERY player and they aren't worth my precious time.

Thats why i get up every Sunday to prove that point nothing to do with the fact i used to play as well and dont want to walk away from football and by starting to ref i can still be involved in some way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The attitude toward the ref in this thread, from players, is typical of the attitude toward the ref, from players, in real life.

Cool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Would like to ref once the legs go but it's a tough job. I play astro twice a week and grass at the weekend. The regular guys for astro are for the most part decent. The grass guys are consistently awful, majority never leave the centre circle for the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The regular guys for astro are for the most part decent.

You must hope they read here :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It might help us win!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Hi all,

Just new on the Soccer Forum and i was wondering if any of the Boardsies actually referee in their local leagues.
    I started refereeing this season and i actually dont mind it - you have to listen to some amount of ****e but thats part of the job. For every sound fella you get to know you get to know 4/5 proper as*holes, the type that mouth and cry week in, week out forgetting the fact that they are **** and playing on a team thats just as **** and then if you meet them on a night out, jesus, their all, why do you always book me? why do you not like us?
    Even the people watching the games, some parents at U-12/14 matches are mental, screaming blue murder at the young ones sometimes and then they turn on you when you tell them to cool it.
    Very few players would have any idea what its like to be "in the middle", your guaranteed to have at least one set of men calling at you every week, if not to your face then defo behind your back but i still enjoy it anyway, maybe you just have to be a certain type of person, i dunno.

Anyway, i was just wondering if their are any fellow blind, useless tossers on here or am i fighting the good fight by myself like i do most Sundays lol.
    Cheers...
    They are sh1t and theyre team are sh1t. Thats a terrible attitude to have. Theres No need to be blowing your trumpet aswell. Very few players know whats its like to be in middle :/ Its a competive sport fustrations of course players will vent thier fustrations . The refeeres at the higher level do understand to a better extent than new refeeres.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

wadacrack wrote: »
    They are sh1t and theyre team are sh1t. Thats a terrible attitude to have. Theres No need to be blowing your trumpet aswell. Very few players know whats its like to be in middle :/ Its a competive sport fustrations of course players will vent thier fustrations . The refeeres at the higher level do understand to a better extent than new refeeres.

I understand where the OP is coming from. At under 9/10s you'd see mangers going ape **** if a player misses an easy free kick or whatever and then because he's furious he'll turn his anger on the easiest target - the ref. If he realised his team is young and as a result not 10 Bernard Brogan's then we'd get less stick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Just out of interest where can you do courses to be a referee?

Im not sure what way your local league works down your way Julez but the time i did it, i contacted the league secretary and they said they would arrange a course once they had enough people interested. It just depends on numbers and if theres enough people interested for it to be worth while.

Wadacrack, i wasn't blowing my own trumpet but players dont know how hard it is to try and get every single decision spot on every time and at times take unreal ****e if and when you get it wrong. I was as big a crying wan*er as anybody when i played but i soon got my eyes opened when i was put on the spot to make decisions and AGAIN as for my "shi*ty attitude" imagine you on a night out with the mrs and some ****head you booked tried giving you **** about it once they had a few drinks in them or another ref i know almost called off a game cos his 8 year old son watching the game got constant **** of one of the managers cos he didnt like some of the decisions that was given against his team??
    Dont say i have a "horrible" or "****ty" attitude cos the truth is in some leagues there are some ****ty players and teams with far worse attitudes than me that do the game no favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Julez wrote: »
    Just out of interest where can you do courses to be a referee?

www.fai.ie

Advertisement