Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Irish driving licenses...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

From Agecard.ie
    Agecard.ie wrote:
    How long will it take to get my card?
    • You should receive your application form within three working days.

• You should then receive your Age Card within 10 working days of handing in your application form to your local Garda Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Got a phonecall from the Council Office in Dundalk today, said that they will be sending back my application because I didn't have a medical report submitted (was told that a letter from the doctor was fine). I was furious so I handed the phone to my mam. She got it well resolved. The lady said she will send me the medical report form to me via post which I have to get my doctor to fill out and send it back it. As a result, I will have my provisional upon submission. Happy now. Better than waiting another 2 weeks for the approximate date of 6-8 weeks. Should get it within a week now as I get the form soon, hopefully by Friday :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Finally got my license after 3 weeks!! Yay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Received mine after 5 weeks and that was from Dublin CC - bang on time with there predictions.

Granted the 5 weeks felt like 20.
    Biggest frustration was not being able to track it through the process - if I could have logged on to a web site and seen it had been accepted by the card company etc at least I would have seen progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pedro6105

got my license today ordered it last Friday in limerick

Mine came today. Learner permit that is. I applied on the 27th of March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Not bad at all Prodigious. Here's hoping mine will come in that time too.

Yeah, I guess its not too bad considering. Felt like ages, but its cool to have it now. Fingers crossed, best of luck.

Guess what was in my post box this morning I posted the application this day week. Thank you NDLS !

One question about the line across the bottom it starts with a certain letter<surname<<<<. Should that first letter be the first letter of my name ?

The photograph is so small now .

• Advertisement

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Guess what was in my post box this morning I posted the application this day week. Thank you NDLS !

One question about the line across the bottom it starts with a certain letter<surname<<<<. Should that first letter be the first letter of my name ?

The photograph is so small now .

Mine isn't. The letter is D. What is it on yours?

Letter D too :) Must be to highlight that we are donors ?:)

Ah yeah, that's probably it!

Didn't feel like going back to the tax office with it ! Happy learner driving :)

You too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

anyone have any idea how to get pencil marks off these things? I've tried a rubber :P

• Advertisement

Are you referring to those swirly like marks that are on the license near the face? If so, I think they are meant to be there . If not, did you manage to get pencil marks even though they are covered in a shiny cover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Why the hell can't they just give you one in the test centre after you pass your test? Why all the messing around?
    Got mine sent back because I have a motorcycle licence. You can't have 2 licences, and I'm getting a catorgory added rather than getting a new licence.
    Took over a week of week of valuable waiting time to find that out! Redelivered it by hand then to save time on getting it.
    I got insurance, but need to show them my licence and NCT in order to keep it. Licence is taking people a month, and NCT waiting lists are almost 2 months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I posted my licence application on 15 April. Rang Kildare CoCo on Friday and got the message "we are currently working on applications received on 4 April". So another couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Waiting list in Clondalkin is 4 weeks apparently :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Applied at Dublin City Council about a month ago - received last night.

Signature cut off but fook it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Applied in Smithfield on 26/04 and received in the post today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

My application was received by Kildare County Council on 16 April.
    My driving licence arrived today 28 May.
    A six week wait.

At last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Reading this thread has me in a right panic. I posted off my renewal last week and I didn't realise the waiting times have gone up by so much since thew new licence came in. I'm due to go on holidays in 4 weeks and I have a rental car booked.... Anyone know have the times improved or should I give them a panicky phonecall? I applied to the Smithfield office in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭CurtisBoylan

Applied and got mine in 3 and a half weeks. I don't think the D stands for Donor either, I never choose to be a Donor and i've got a D on mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'll have to phone on Monday then. Ahhh worried. Could the D be for a licence processed in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭CurtisBoylan

I'll have to phone on Monday then. Ahhh worried. Could the D be for a licence processed in Dublin?

Yeah that could be it. If you give the exact office you got it from a call they'll give you what stage the application is at. I called a few days before I got mine and asked and they said they were processing it that day, 3 working days later I had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Yeah that could be it. If you give the exact office you got it from a call they'll give you what stage the application is at. I called a few days before I got mine and asked and they said they were processing it that day, 3 working days later I had it.

D is for Donor
    It will still require an approval from Next of Kin to activate it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bhanlon

Hi im still waiting 5 weeks now !!

bhanlon wrote: »
    Hi im still waiting 5 weeks now !!

Where are u

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

How long are people waiting these days? I applied on Tuesday for the full license and yer man in the office said it'd be about 2 weeks. Although now that the Clondalkin Motor Tax Office is closing down, will that mean they'll take longer to process applications?

Guess I'll have to wait and see :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Gandr

I just applied for one in Dundalk and was told up to 10 weeks because of a backlog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The new NDLS service makes mention of an 8 day turnaround I believe.

If they're gonna actually deliver within that timeframe, it may have been better for folks to wait 'til next Tuesday and skip the Motor Tax office route altogether.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

They won't really know how quick turnaround will be until the system is in full swing. 8 (presumably working) days would be impressive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Yep mine took exactly 2 weeks.

Yamanoto wrote: »

If they're gonna actually deliver within that timeframe, it may have been better for folks to wait 'til next Tuesday and skip the Motor Tax office route altogether.

We've been recommending people wait til Tue til NDLS get going
    They've gotta be better than the present 8 weeks here through Motor Tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

Yamanoto wrote: »

Not a chance in hell of them delivering an 8 day turn around. This will be a bigger fiasco than the student grant scandal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Not a chance in hell of them delivering an 8 day turn around. This will be a bigger fiasco than the student grant scandal.

Why shouldn't they deliver an 8 day turn around? A large proportion of driving licences are renewals and are pretty straightforward. Passports are available in 10 days, motor tax in less. As the private sector is so wonderful and the public sector so crap surely these guys can beat these services?

btard wrote: »

Time will tell I guess.

My local Motor Tax office open from 09:10 to 2pm daily.

NDLS will open 9-5 Mon to Fri AND 9-2pm on a Saturday, which bodes well imo.

Why shouldn't they deliver an 8 day turn around? A large proportion of driving licences are renewals and are pretty straightforward. Passports are available in 10 days, motor tax in less. As the private sector is so wonderful and the public sector so crap surely these guys can beat these services?

That crap public service you mention had a 5 day turn around in DCC before the RSA outsourced part of the service to the private sector in January. The present backlogs all over the country are a direct result of the shambles the RSA made introducing the new card licence. The only reason the backlog is not bigger is due to experienced staff in MTO's working hard to keep it down.

The NDLS do not have enough offices or staff to work this system adequately. Their staff have had one weeks training, from people who have never processed a driving licence in their life. They believe as you do that it's pretty straight forward. They don't have an earthly of what's really involved. They may manage in the first few weeks, but before long it will descend in to chaos.

• Advertisement

That crap public service you mention had a 5 day turn around in DCC before the RSA outsourced part of the service to the private sector in January. The present backlogs all over the country are a direct result of the shambles the RSA made introducing the new card licence. The only reason the backlog is not bigger is due to experienced staff in MTO's working hard to keep it down.

The NDLS do not have enough offices or staff to work this system adequately. Their staff have had one weeks training, from people who have never processed a driving licence in their life. They believe as you do that it's pretty straight forward. They don't have an earthly of what's really involved. They may manage in the first few weeks, but before long it will descend in to chaos.

Whatever the issues regarding the new licence service why then can Monaghan produce a licence in 2 weeks and Louth take 8 weeks?

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    Whatever the issues regarding the new licence service why then can Monaghan produce a licence in 2 weeks and Louth take 8 weeks?

Different counties will have different levels of staff and applicants. Some will have a bigger ratio of staff shortage in relation to applications.

Different counties will have different levels of staff and applicants. Some will have a bigger ratio of staff shortage in relation to applications.

This has been the way since well before the new licences came.
    Working to rule by local authority while joe public waits, can't wait til it's farmed out

This has been the way since well before the new licences came.
    Working to rule by local authority while joe public waits, can't wait til it's farmed out

I thought you were being genuine when you asked me that question. If I'd known you were just acting the dick I wouldn't have wasted my time answering. You will get your wish next tuesday. Good riddance.

I thought you were being genuine when you asked me that question. If I'd known you were just acting the dick I wouldn't have wasted my time answering. You will get your wish next tuesday. Good riddance.

Public non servant by any chance

Public non servant by any chance

I suggest you go to AH if you want to troll PS workers. This is a serious thread.

• Advertisement

I suggest you go to AH if you want to troll PS workers. This is a serious thread.

Your point was flawed and you descended into derogatory remarks. I'm very serious as to the effect an 8 week wait for a licence can have on a person waiting to get on the road or change up a licence, an office that used to produce a licence for a "mate" while other applications sat on a desk for 5 weeks in proven instances, needs to be reformed. Lets wait and see what the new service brings.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Stay on topic, any more posts with unnecessary PS bashing or personal attacks will be infracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

I am going to Wicklow town on Thursday to apply for my learners permit and I have everything I need and ready to go. However the bank statement to prove my address is dated 18/04/13 and it is too short notice to get a more recent one from my bank, it states on the NDLS website that statements can not be any older than 6 months.

So do you think it will be okay or are they very strict on this?

Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Will the new NDLS centres be issuing licences on the spot?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Will the new NDLS centres be issuing licences on the spot?

No, but their target turnaround is 8 working days.

If they can manage that (or anywhere near it), it'll be a real step in the right direction from a customer service perspective.

• Advertisement
Advertisement