Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Irish driving licenses...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Was told id get my license after 5 weeks, got it after 2 working weeks.
    Just a question; on the front it has A1 and B codes as it should be. On the back it has dates and codes next to AM and A1, assuming I qualify for AM based on A1. Also have B, but then at the bottom also have W. Do you automatically qualify for W if you have B?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Jacovs wrote: »
    Was told id get my license after 5 weeks, got it after 2 working weeks.
    Just a question; on the front it has A1 and B codes as it should be. On the back it has dates and codes next to AM and A1, assuming I qualify for AM based on A1. Also have B, but then at the bottom also have W. Do you automatically qualify for W if you have B?

If you have B you automatically qualify for W and AM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Silvera wrote: »
    If you have B you automatically qualify for W and AM.

Not neccesarily, there is a new system in place for all of the A categories. Depending on when you passed your theory test, you may have to do progressive training or complete the new certification system to get any A category added to your licence. You still automatically recieve W when you get your B licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's 5 weeks and counting in Galway that I have been waiting.

I wonder if I had waited to apply through the NDLS, would I get my license quicker :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

btard wrote: »

They believe as you do that it's pretty straight forward. They don't have an earthly of what's really involved. .

Type details from application form into computer
    Tick off list of required documents against documents provided
    Hit Print

Repeat

Not exactly rocket science ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

Type details from application form into computer
    Tick off list of required documents against documents provided
    Hit Print

Repeat

Not exactly rocket science ??

You should offer your expertise to the NDLS. They seem to be having a problem with this. Maybe you could show them how straight forward it is?

5eba5250-9ebd-4eb2-8bad-36a9b1c454f7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's 5 weeks and counting in Galway that I have been waiting.

I wonder if I had waited to apply through the NDLS, would I get my license quicker :pac:

5 weeks waiting in Galway here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

What i would like to know is, recently i have moved address and with the nct about up on my car ill have to update my licence with new address which is fine. I have a full E+C valid until september 2019 will they try and shorten my licence as the new ones can only last five years.
    Also how much will a change of address cost me?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    5 weeks waiting in Galway here too.

At least I know I'm not the only one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

timogen wrote: »
    What i would like to know is, recently i have moved address and with the nct about up on my car ill have to update my licence with new address which is fine. I have a full E+C valid until september 2019 will they try and shorten my licence as the new ones can only last five years.
    Also how much will a change of address cost me?

Nope, because it's valid until 2019 they won't shorten it's validity. It's only when you renew it will it be 5 years instead of 10. I was thinking the same thing as i have a truck licence too so I rang them to confirm.

New Address is free :cool:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/full_driving_licence.html

You'll see it under rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Waiting 6 weeks now and I really need the license. Absolute joke.

I was told today that my application was just processed and that I will have it within 3-5 days. I applied on the 27th of September in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I was told today that my application was just processed and that I will have it within 3-5 days. I applied on the 27th of September in Galway.

I applied around the same date. Did you call them to find out if it had been processed? Might give them a call tomorrow to see if they've done anything with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭tosspot15

I'm really confused about this new licence. I already have a full B drvers licence, the old style.

I just passed my C licence theory, and now need a provisional licence for that. So do I have to go to my motor tax office, or go to this new licencing place.

Do I have to visit my GP and get all my eye tests and medical reports done all over again?

This new system is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Do you need to book an appointment to get in to these centres??

Or can you arrive on spec (with all the docs filled in etc).

Worried that I have to drive 35 mils to get to my nearest centre.. and don't want a wasted trip to be told come back another day and again take a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I just passed my C licence theory, and now need a provisional licence for that. So do I have to go to my motor tax office, or go to this new licencing place.

Motor Tax offices now have nothing more to do with licencing.
    Do you need to book an appointment to get in to these centres??

No appointment nessecary.

moneyman wrote: »
    I applied around the same date. Did you call them to find out if it had been processed? Might give them a call tomorrow to see if they've done anything with mine.

Sorry just saw this now.
    No I didn't ring them, they phoned me because there was a problem with the card details I had given on my application form (I am paying with my debit card). They don't charge your card until they are processing your application. And they then told me that I would have it in 3-5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

Got mine back, took 9 days, but had to return it because they got my address wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I don't have to renew my licence until 2018 so I hope to then they have it sorted but I'm not holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I don't have to renew my licence until 2018 so I hope to then they have it sorted but I'm not holding my breath.

Wont be getting my hands on mine until 2022 :P Let us know how yours turns out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Applied in Ballymun the first Tuesday of October and it arrived today. 5 weeks and 2 days. Someone I know applied by post a week prior and hasn't had theirs back yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Does anyone know if its possible to convert the old style full license (the big annoying pink one) into the new credit card style one?

Would be 10 times handier for carrying around in the wallet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

DRose1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its possible to convert the old style full license (the big annoying pink one) into the new credit card style one?

Yes it is when one of the following occurs: it's due for renewal, you're adding categories to it, you have a change of details (name or address), it gets damaged, it gets lost or it gets stolen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Thanks. So looks like my only option would be to 'lose' it. Bit of a joke to have to go through that process (report it stolen to the Garda etc) when I would be willing to pay to change over to the handier credit card format.

aaaand my license finally arrived today. At long last.

It does seem fairly flimsy though! It doesn't feel as that robust, the fcekin' thing better not crack or break!!

• Advertisement

aaaand my license finally arrived today. At long last.

It does seem fairly flimsy though! It doesn't feel as that robust, the fcekin' thing better not crack or break!!

Hopefully mine arrives tomorrow or monday so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

DRose1 wrote: »

Can I suggest you let them get established and deal with renewals rather than unnecessary replacements, it seems there are some teething problems at centres,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Received my license today after just 5 working says in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    Lets wait and see what the new service brings.

Well, it's brought this.

Latest Update (from NDLS website)

We would like to advise customers that due to the high volume of applications received at our NDLS centres over the past couple of weeks, some customers may not receive their licence for a number of weeks. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused by this. These delays are unacceptable and we are working hard to overcome them as soon as possible. For example, we have now deployed extra staff to the NDLS centres to help speed up the process for customers. In addition, we are preparing to introduce a booking system in the near future to minimise delays at the centres.
    We are grateful for the patience you have shown while we establish this new service and ask you to bear with us as we work to resolve these issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Well, it's brought this.

We would like to advise customers that due to the high volume of applications received at our NDLS centres over the past couple of weeks, some customers may not receive their licence for a number of weeks. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused by this. These delays are unacceptable and we are working hard to overcome them as soon as possible. For example, we have now deployed extra staff to the NDLS centres to help speed up the process for customers. In addition, we are preparing to introduce a booking system in the near future to minimise delays at the centres.
    We are grateful for the patience you have shown while we establish this new service and ask you to bear with us as we work to resolve these issues.

And this

"Received my license today after just 5 working says in Cork."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

Well, it's brought this.

Hahaha had to laugh at this.

I went into the NDLS in Citywest on Saturday, and it stopped seeing people at 1.15pm.

Just noticed on the form a second ago, learners permit license has gone up to 35quid from 15 :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

To be fair, the prices went up before the NDLS took over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

BuffyBot wrote: »
    To be fair, the prices went up before the NDLS took over :)

The government put the prices up in the 2012 budget to take effect two weeks before the new card licence was launched in january this year. This was so it could be self financing and profitable for the private companies involved. The old paper licences were costing the same for the last two weeks they were being issued. This gives a certain amount of deniability. It's all part of the flim flam act.

Mine arrived today! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

Has anyone applied for a license with the NDLS and received the license yet?

I went to the NDLS on the first day they opened, 29 Nov and still havent received it yet. I rang them today and all they could tell me was that my application was verified and processed and it was being printed. They could tell me how long more it would take.

I passed the BE test mid Oct and my insurance company want a copy of the BE license to insure the trailer. I'm interested to know if anyone applied through NDLS for any form of license and received their license.

thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I went to the NDLS on the first day they opened, 29 Nov and still havent received it yet. I rang them today and all they could tell me was that my application was verified and processed and it was being printed. They could tell me how long more it would take.

I passed the BE test mid Oct and my insurance company want a copy of the BE license to insure the trailer. I'm interested to know if anyone applied through NDLS for any form of license and received their license.

thanks

From all reports there are teething problems with the new NDLS system - you should expect to be waiting a while yet. The 8-day turnaround is probably far too optimistic straight out of the gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

thanks

I went to the one in Cork on Thursday the 31st of October and received my license on Friday the 8th of November.

Has anyone applied for a license with the NDLS and received the license yet?... I rang them today and all they could tell me was that my application was verified and processed and it was being printed. They could tell me how long more it would take....

I received my license in the post this morning - that was 2 weeks and 2 days. The NDLS helpline obviously are not able to track a license once it has gone for printing and are not told when it is posted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭suave.4u

This is so sad. Does it take ages to get this done??

I applied on the first day NDLS was opened at Citywest on Tuesday 29th October 2013. Haven't received the license till now. It has been close to 3 weeks.
    Pathetic!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Got my license there yesterday - applied to the tax office almost 4 weeks ago. The date of issue says it was this Wednesday though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Can anyone tell me, do I need to book an appointment at the ndls office to get a provisional licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

lion_bar wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me, do I need to book an appointment at the ndls office to get a provisional licence?

Nope, just turn up and hope it's not packed! Go as early as you can and it won't take long. You will be waiting a while for the licence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Nope, just turn up and hope it's not packed! Go as early as you can and it won't take long. You will be waiting a while for the licence though.

Thanks. Trouble is the office is out of town, and I can't drive!

I received my license in the post this morning - that was 2 weeks and 2 days. The NDLS helpline obviously are not able to track a license once it has gone for printing and are not told when it is posted out.

I got a cheque from the RSA for €20 today as a 'refund' for my license - it must be a goodwill gesture. Nice surprise for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 abrushka

I applied to the Leopardstown centre on November 10th for a replacement license. I arrived to my home address in Wexford today and low and behold my license had arrived!! The letter is dated November 14th which suggests they processed it within 5 days?!

I find this all very strange as I was told it would take 4 weeks when in the centre and when I rang the helpline on Wednesday (November 20th) they told me that my application was still being processed.

I am obviously delighted it has been processed this quickly but it doesn't reflect well on the call centres ability to track the progress of an application. Also very strange that I have received mine before people who applied on the first day the centers opened. There is a complete lack of consistency in the amount of time it is taking to process applications.

Advertisement