Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crystal Maze

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Really enjoyed that, shouted "Can you start the fans please" at the screen too! Loved the old puzzles, mumsie being back, the little cameos in some form of another (even just the poster of Edward Tudor Pole was a nice throwback too). Bit iffy about Merchant. not very charismatic which the host needs to be, some of his jokes were great though! Overall, very nice nostalgia bite and leaves me wanting more! But they need the transitions between zones, was always good, especially if someone feel during it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Don't judge me but I never saw the original due to not having the channels back in the day. I thoroughly enjoyed it though. Going by what I saw tonight it was excellent. Stephen Merchant was a brilliant host and there was a good mix of contestants with varying abilities. The jokes from Stephen were hilarious too. It should be brought back permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

KKkitty wrote: »
    Don't judge me but I never saw the original due to not having the channels back in the day. I thoroughly enjoyed it though. Going by what I saw tonight it was excellent. Stephen Merchant was a brilliant host and there was a good mix of contestants with varying abilities. The jokes from Stephen were hilarious too. It should be brought back permanently.

I highly suggest you do yourself a massive favour and have a binge of the old episodes online if you've never seen them.

EDIT: Actually even for anyone who has already seen them, nothing wrong with a nostalgic re-watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Merchant surprisingly did really well! I actually laughed out loud at some of his lines! Please god not Claudia Winkleman for host, couldnt see Carr being host either.

The set wasnt a patch on the original and smaller, but it was still fun to watch!

I thought Ricky won the Baftas!

Gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

There's still a place for shows like that and the Krypton Factor. To many quiz type shows on TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Mc Love wrote: »
    Please god not Claudia Winkleman for host, couldnt see Carr being host either.

Although I love Claudia, I do think the Maze Master needs to be at least 70% man... :o:D;)

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21788238

There's still a place for shows like that and the Krypton Factor. To many quiz type shows on TV

The Krypton Factor did return in 2009, but only lasted two series. Getting rid of the Intelligence test for the second series didn't help. :o;)

The-Krypton-Factor.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Brilliant remake last night, even the zones looked as close to the originals as they could get. Stephen was great, sure Richard O' Brien will always be the best host of the show but I think for a 21st century version of the show, he would be the best to do it. Great throwback to my childhood years and I hope Channel 4 bring it back permanently, especially if the public can do it again and not just celebs for charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They filmed it at the Crystal Maze Experience in London has anyone being over at it and tried it out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

"I know a knock on the door is the last thing a BBC Radio DJ needs to hear".

That was a brilliant line.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Just caught up with it there, it was good fun. Choc-full of nostalgia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Challenge are going to show the old shows again!

https://twitter.com/ChallengeTV/status/787987821747400705?lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Big Turd

whats the story with the knock on the door thing??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Load of episode on Youtube i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Big Turd wrote: »
    whats the story with the knock on the door thing??

A lot of ex Radio 1 DJs were investigated by the police for historic child related crimes - Jimmy Savile, Dave Lee Travis etc. There might be others waiting for an unexpected visit.

(All the baddies were well before Sara Cox's time. I am 100% sure she's squeaky clean)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

a bit slow and stupid, the show and contestants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

had Merchant already shaved his hair because he is playing a part in the wolverine movie https://twitter.com/digitalspy/status/788106800075767808

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Skid X wrote: »

(All the baddies were well before Sara Cox's time. I am 100% sure she's squeaky clean)

Oh no she is dirty in all the right ways or she was back in the 90's :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They filmed it at the Crystal Maze Experience in London has anyone being over at it and tried it out?

Looked it up last week or the week before and looked like not many slots available until next March. I'd say after this, they'll get even busier.
    Oh no she is dirty in all the right ways or she was back in the 90's :P
    Sure she was only sober for half an hour. :) Herself and Zoe Ball, the ladettes

Where could I see the old episodes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Where could I see the old episodes?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+crystal+maze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

There is another Crystal Maze Experience opening in Manchester next April which is supposedly going to be bigger and better than the London one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Star_Nupa

That was brilliant. Really enjoyed it and Stephen Merchant bossed it. He was class. Some very good one-liners.

Would love to see this show back on the air...with the right host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Coming back for a full series this year (20 episodes) with Richard Ayoade as presenter.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a818911/the-crystal-maze-return-channel-4-richard-ayoade/

• Advertisement

Shut the front door!! That is great news, Richard Ayoade will be a good fit as he is kind of odd, although in saying that, Noel Fielding would have been my first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ayoade is an inspired choice!

Looking forward to this. Richard has the right wit for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'm really not convinced on Ayoade as the host.

I mean, I love him on Gadget/Travel Man, but that's because those shows make great use of his nerd-based eccentricity; I don't see how the Maze can make good use of that. Is he going to be able to properly drum up the hype in the team as they go along? Will he be able to properly perform the to-camera quips and remarks as the games are being played?

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I'm really not convinced on Ayoade as the host.

I mean, I love him on Gadget/Travel Man, but that's because those shows make great use of his nerd-based eccentricity; I don't see how the Maze can make good use of that. Is he going to be able to properly drum up the hype in the team as they go along? Will he be able to properly perform the to-camera quips and remarks as the games are being played?

I know Richard O Brien and Stephen Merchant were excellent hosts but it's a new Crystal Maze. If Richard Ayoade tries too hard to be like previous hosts he'll be no good in my opinion. He'll bring his own unique comedic style into this reincarnation. We'll just have to wait and see how it all goes.

• Advertisement

KKkitty wrote:
    I know Richard O Brien and Stephen Merchant were excellent hosts but it's a new Crystal Maze. If Richard Ayoade tries too hard to be like previous hosts he'll be no good in my opinion. He'll bring his own unique comedic style into this reincarnation. We'll just have to wait and see how it all goes.

Was thinking the same - the original presenters had a fairly similar personality. Merchant seemed to copy them both and made a decent job of it. But when dealing with Joe Soap, IMO he would probably be terrible.

Richard Ayoade has a style of his own - nerdy and shy but in control. Think he will be a decent presenter.

(I'll prob be back after first episode recanting the above post lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I agree

^ Have you seen Ayaode present? The man is multi-talented (host, actor, writer, director) but he has his own downbeat hosting style. There's absolutely no chance of him bouncing about the place the same way O'Brien and Tudor-Pole did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Basq wrote: »
    ^ Have you seen Ayaode present? The man is multi-talented (host, actor, writer, director) but he has his own downbeat hosting style. There's absolutely no chance of him bouncing about the place the same way O'Brien and Tudor-Pole did.

Absolutely love his deadpanned wit. Him and Noel Fielding are by far my favourite pairing on the big fat quiz. Noel wouldn't have been a bad choice if the aim was to emulate previous hosts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Richard Ayoade makes everything better :)

asdf- holy bejaysus the size of the new dome :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4/videos/10154352189952330/

asdf- holy bejaysus the size of the new dome :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4/videos/10154352189952330/
    Probably was always that size.. we were just watching it on smaller TV's back then! :D

Back next month..

the-crystal-maze-richard-ayoade-tele.jpg

There was a teaser shown on the last leg and he really seems comfortable on the show. Think he's going to be very good

Mc Love wrote: »
    There was a teaser shown on the last leg and he really seems comfortable on the show. Think he's going to be very good

• Advertisement

WE HAVE A DATE!!!!! Friday 23rd, 9pm. Starting off with another celeb special.

Also, the teasers are showcasing even more of the new maze:

Can't wait!

As hyped as I am for the series... Worst. Fans. Command. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I looked at the so called list of so called celebrities and didn't recognise any of the names, though I might know the faces. Anyway I'm assuming they are too young to have seen the originals as they went out which for me is just silly - they should have middle aged famous people huffing and puffing their way round the zones looking like coronaries waiting to happen.

As hyped as I am for the series... Worst. Fans. Command. Ever.

"Begins with a series of celebrity specials". So no doubt there will be loads of D-Z list people on till 4 find out if the viewers are there to watch the plebs.

Not so much related to the maze itself, but there's a bit of an insight from the guy who designed Richard's suits and the contestant's boilersuits: http://home.bt.com/entertainment/the-crystal-maze-returns-meet-the-man-behind-the-outfits-91364189772299

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The first Celebrity Special has been released on All 4, for anyone who can't wait for it to be on telly tonight.

http://thanks4.channel4.com/video/the-crystal-maze-celebrity-special-premiere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ah for **** sake... Louis Spence...

Advertisement