Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crystal Maze

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not sure if this means I'm turning into a grumpy old man but I have no idea who these celebrities are!

This how I feel seeing these so called celebrities.

itll-happen-to-you.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Louis Spence and Alex Brooker are the only ones I know. So far, I'm not impressed. Hopefully the real contestants next week will be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm really liking Ayoade. Love the idea of the hand, gives him his own spin on it and suits his character.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Penn wrote: »
    I'm really liking Ayoade. Love the idea of the hand, gives him his own spin on it and suits his character.

My wife just pointed out that he's probably germphobic and doesn't like touching people. Wouldn't actually surprise me if that was the case. But I agree, he's a great modern replacement for Richard O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Not great, is it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Amazing that this lot would be chosen for a fundraiser edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

FanadMan wrote: »
    Louis Spence and Alex Brooker are the only ones I know. So far, I'm not impressed. Hopefully the real contestants next week will be better.

Next week - Steve Jones, Scarlett Moffatt, David Coulthard, Joey Essex and team captain Jodie Kidd.

The following week is also a celebrity special with Joel Dommett, Jermaine Jenas, Adil Ray and Tamara Wall and team captain Rylan Clark-Neal

brian_t wrote: »
    Next week - Steve Jones, Scarlett Moffatt, David Coulthard, Joey Essex and team captain Jodie Kidd.

They have to be better than this week's lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I thought the whole idea of the revival was for the average Joe & Jane Bloggs to be playing not Z List celebrities.

If that's the case I'm done before it even starts again.

I think 4 of the 20 episodes have celebrity contestants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'm sorry but who in the name of God is that awful little yoke pirouetting all over the shop?

I thought the whole idea of the revival was for the average Joe & Jane Bloggs to be playing not Z List celebrities.

If that's the case I'm done before it even starts again.
    Zaph wrote: »
    I think 4 of the 20 episodes have celebrity contestants.

Yep. Channel 4's obsession with famous non-entities is annoying. Luckily the format is pretty much bomb-proof.
    I'm sorry but who in the name of God is that awful little yoke pirouetting all over the shop?

Louie Spence, who I think was on a Big Brother, but don't quote me on that. In fact I'm sorry I even hazard a guess as I could be right and that would reflect badly on me even though I've never watched it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yep. Channel 4's obsession with famous non-entities is annoying. Luckily the format is pretty much bomb-proof.

Louie Spence, who I think was on a Big Brother, but don't quote me on that. In fact I'm sorry I even hazard a guess as I could be right and that would reflect badly on me even though I've never watched it.

There was a show about a dance studio and he was in it. Ever since that he's been prancing round the place on panel shows and quiz shows, always acting the same. He's one of the most insufferable c*nts on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I dislike how it's suffered from the "Channel 4 reboot padding"-itis; now only 10 games, as opposed to before where you got 14 or 15 games time-depending (O'Brien series), or 13 games (Tudor-Pole series).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I liked it now. Knew VP would do well. When normal people will be on it that's when it'll be good. I wouldn't have done well with some of those challenges tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Lydia bright, wasn't so bright after all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I enjoyed it. My favourite parts were the entire time Louie Spence was locked in that level and we didn't have to put up with his sh*te...

I read somewhere over the past few days that it's apparently 5 episodes with "celebs" and then a further 20 episodes with regular Joe's, which is likely when it will hit it's stride, but as long as there's no more Louie Spence types I'm fine with the Celeb editions as well.

I'm a big Ayoade fan, so enjoyed his take on the Maze Master.

I was also happy to see that Den of Geek are doing reviews of this re-boot... http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-crystal-maze/50285/the-crystal-maze-2017-episode-1-review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

geek and sundry did an Escape Room series if you want to watch something a bit more complicated https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7atuZxmT957_N4O2Jp3bMXmq_Y7J-mK- I guess this wouldn't be allowed on TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Do you think theres any chance if we formed a collective and petitioned to bring it back??
    It's back,host is trying to be as near to o brirn as possible,,not as good,but in time,?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

geek and sundry did an Escape Room seies if you wnat to watch something a bit more complicated https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7atuZxmT957_N4O2Jp3bMXmq_Y7J-mK- I guess this wouldn't be allowed on TV

Thanks for the recommendation. Just watched the first one - very enjoyable and great to see celebrities I both know and like. Wasn't until I was watching this though that I finally twigged that Jason Ritter (who I've seen in many many things over the years and whose name I've known for a long time) is John Ritter's son! So f***ing obvious, they even have many of the same mannerisms and I never put two and two together until now. I miss John Ritter... :(

• Advertisement

It's back,host is trying to be as near to o brirn as possible,,not as good,but in time,?

You know you quoted a four year old post from a banned user? Mind you, there's a good chance he's back under another name :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I laughed out loud when Ayoade said of Louis Spence, ''it's almost as if he WANTS attention.''

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Liked Ayoade leading the show, good choice there. Didn't like the lack of games played or how they were pre-determined in an obvious way. It'll be more fun when it's not celebrities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Richard Ayoade did great, that's the main thing. As long as the host is right and they don't mess too much with the format it will be a watchable show.

The Celebs were an appalling mix and and an indictment of why Celebrity Contestants are far over used on Television. Vicky Pattison was the only one who came out of it with any credit.

Hopefully when they eventually get to ordinary people (who have been auditioned) the show will become more entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Reminder!

On at 9pm on Fridays.

In about 25 minutes from this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

corkie wrote: »
    Reminder!

On at 9pm on Fridays.

In about 25 minutes from this post

15 minutes and counting!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Loved this when it was on years ago.
    First episode of this one was gammy,
    Hopefully the general contestants are a bit more serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Arghh , the second episode is celebs as well?
    Crap so.

• Advertisement

XsApollo wrote: »
    Arghh , the second episode is celebs as well?
    Crap so.

And so is next weeks according to the Sky EPG :(

Same games :(

Edit, new games :)

But Joey Essex turned out to be more agile than expected

Brexit riddle, how topical.

Still though, I wonder whether the final score would have been better if they'd had the same win percentage from 14 games as opposed to 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ayaode is every bit as good on this as expected..

... love his banter with the contestants at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how long ago were these recorded?

how long ago were these recorded?

Sometime March/April, possibly even May I'd suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The puzzles/challenges are pretty boring, the riddles that Steve Jones got were far too easy, they would have looked easy if it was a children's version of the show. Also, I wish they showed the stack of silver and gold tickets like they used to on the old show..adds to the "tension" when they do the final tally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

siblers wrote: »
    The puzzles/challenges are pretty boring, the riddles that Steve Jones got were far too easy, they would have looked easy if it was a children's version of the show. Also, I wish they showed the stack of silver and gold tickets like they used to on the old show..adds to the "tension" when they do the final tally

I thought the puzzles and challenges were fine, for the most part. As far as the difficulty of the jail riddles went, it was too easy, but it was also a charity special. If we're in any doubt the team was helped along, consider that they were given 5 extra seconds at the end.

The Aztec zone looks so much like the original that I'm wondering if they simply pulled the old set out of storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Joey looked lost a lot of the time. And seemed Jodie had to be reminded that she needs to take part.

I do like how Richard makes fun of them and their celebrity status.

I think since it's for charity that they've made the dome have less silver than usual. Can't see them getting over a hundred in total too often in the non celeb episodes.
    Wonder what the prizes will be. Are we still looking at things like a quad safari or will it be iPhones, etc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Joey looked lost a lot of the time. And seemed Jodie had to be reminded that she needs to take part.

I do like how Richard makes fun of them and their celebrity status.

I think since it's for charity that they've made the dome have less silver than usual. Can't see them getting over a hundred in total too often in the non celeb episodes.
    Wonder what the prizes will be. Are we still looking at things like a quad safari or will it be iPhones, etc

I think that things like parasailing for two or a rock climbing weekend in the Pennines are very much in the spirit of the show. If the prizes became things like iPhones or a Nintendo Switch, I'd be a bit disappointed and consider it something of a genericization.

Who are the celebrities taking part in The Crystal Maze episode 3?

Joel Dommett, Jermaine Jenas, Adil Ray, Tamara Wall and Rylan Clark-Neal!

9pm Channel 4!

• Advertisement

Different games tonight which is good.

Definitely some cheeky auto lock-ins tonight.

Also, next week is on Thursday. Andrea McLean, Spencer Matthews, Tom Allen, Stacey Solomon and Joe Swash.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Definitely some cheeky auto lock-ins tonight.

Also, next week is on Thursday. Andrea McLean, Spencer Matthews, Tom Allen, Stacey Solomon and Joe Swash.
    Tom Allen is great.. like a funny Alan Carr.

Reminder it is showing tonight 9pm!

That's it til the non-celeb episodes start airing in August.

Well, they were pretty pants. And still managed to get a nice chunk of change. Must've gone with the strategy of "fúck everything you can grab into the box".

Still though, seventh team in history to get three lockins :rolleyes:

I did very much enjoy the banter between Richard and Joe Swash whilst the games were ongoing.

That team would have killed it if it wasn't for that one guy.

Anyway, after two episodes I really feel like the Crystal Maze is back and just as good as ever. A surprise it ever left, really. Don't think I'd ever get tired of watching it, so long as the games are switched out occasionally.

briany wrote: »
    That team would have killed it if it wasn't for that one guy.

Anyway, after two episodes I really feel like the Crystal Maze is back and just as good as ever. A surprise it ever left, really. Don't think I'd ever get tired of watching it, so long as the games are switched out occasionally.

More like......as long as they switch games and have contestants that have more than a dozen brain cells between them, unlike the celebs so far. Every time tonight that Stacy spoke I wanted to break the tv but unfortunately had someone watching it with me.

Originally they had intelligent contestants that wanted to win for themselves but so far, the celebs just seem to want to get heard and be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Why was it switched to a Thursday? I was in the cinema when I got the notification that it was due to start in 15mins! Will catch it on All 4 though

• Advertisement
Advertisement