Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a bespoke log cabin

Options
  • 12-02-2013 6:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if people can help me out with some guidance on this.

I am thinking of building a log cabin with one bedroom, bathroom, terrace, small kitchenette. To give you an idea of what I am thinking of there are some good pictures here
    http://www.cottagesforcouples.ie/self-catering-cottages/the-treehouse-at-grove-house/

I am assuming that the above is not a pre-fab kit house (though open to correction). I presume what I need here is a very talented carpenter and a lot of suitable wood.

I am just looking to see of anyone could give me some kind of ball park figure on what I could expect a project like this to cost for matierals and labour- I am completely lost as to weather what I am proposing is a seriously expensive undertaking or a very reasonable one as I've no ideas how long it would take a carpenter to put something like that together and nor do I have a true concept of the cost of all the timber and roofing.

My guess is that it would be about 45-50sqm in total.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Anyone?

Just looking for a ball park figure on timber required and the labour costs/ time it would take for a carpenter to put something like this together.

Can't seem to find a carpentery forum to ask there and I don't want to put it up on one of those trades people websites as I have no proper spec. But just looking to see would it cost me €20k or €100k because I really have no idea, some guidance would be very much appreciated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

RATM wrote: »
    Anyone?

Just looking for a ball park figure on timber required and the labour costs/ time it would take for a carpenter to put something like this together.

Can't seem to find a carpentery forum to ask there and I don't want to put it up on one of those trades people websites as I have no proper spec. But just looking to see would it cost me €20k or €100k because I really have no idea, some guidance would be very much appreciated.
    Is this a commercial venture? As this means larger planning, waste water treatment and rate costs
    Should we presume its going in your back garden, with good access for materials, level site, existing services connections close by?
    Building regs and planning will dictate a separate dwellings site suitability or is it an extension to your home?
    How much work will be done by you, do you want a turn key finish like the image you've shown?

These are questions that need to be determine by talking to you in person, before making a stab in dark at the cost! 45-50msq 50-150g would be my guesstimate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

You would be looking at least 50k, but like everything it would all depend on spec. you would be very surprised the cost and quantity of materials that you can use in jobs like those. the cheapest i ever done was 18k for two very basic rooms, on the ground (no stilts)and no finishes, just plastered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's really lovely, now I want a bespoke cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I'm starting a build soon in the garden, a sort of pub theme room with bunk beds and a stove. About 5m*3m.
    50mm of insulation throughout. Walls will be 4*2's, 18mm OSB board on outside, waterproof membrane, 2*1 spacers, external wood paneling. I'm doing all the work myself, I've done up a list of materials and I'm hoping to spend no more than €3,500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I'm starting a build soon in the garden, a sort of pub theme room with bunk beds and a stove. About 5m*3m.
    50mm of insulation throughout. Walls will be 4*2's, 18mm OSB board on outside, waterproof membrane, 2*1 spacers, external wood paneling. I'm doing all the work myself, I've done up a list of materials and I'm hoping to spend no more than €3,500.

Good Luck, needs a separate thread, pictures, regular updates, and costing.

Looking forward to the above.

martinn123 wrote: »
    Good Luck, needs a separate thread, pictures, regular updates, and costing.

Looking forward to the above.

Ok, I'll do that. I was hoping to have started by now but the weather has held me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Ok, I'll do that. I was hoping to have started by now but the weather has held me back.

Did you ever get around to it?
    Having similiar thought myself at 4mx3m

deegs wrote: »
    Did you ever get around to it?
    Having similiar thought myself at 4mx3m

I'm about three quarters way through now. Here's a pic from a week ago. I have windows in now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

1chippy wrote: »
    You would be looking at least 50k, but like everything it would all depend on spec. you would be very surprised the cost and quantity of materials that you can use in jobs like those. the cheapest i ever done was 18k for two very basic rooms, on the ground (no stilts)and no finishes, just plastered.

Plastered? Why would you plaster a log cabin?

OP, you can get a 60m2 pre fabricated kit for 36,000

You should be able to do it yourself for about half that.

For me, a log cabin wouldn't be finished per se, everytime you go there you would bring something to add to it. Part of the fun of having a log cabin would be improving it over time.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

hello, do you think the 2x1 spacers were necessary? Whats the advantage in these?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

eamon11 wrote: »
    hello, do you think the 2x1 spacers were necessary? Whats the advantage in these?

vent behind the external cladding to dry them out... otherwise they will rot a lot quicker.

thats my guess anyway.

eamon11 wrote: »

As guessed above, allows the panelling to dry easier.
    It's a great cabin and I slept in it for over a year when our last child was born. Always have guests stay in it. Total cost was about 4k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭buky

hello arse, well done on cabin.
    Can I ask what you used for the base?
    Concrete slab or raised blocks etc ?

And what's on the roof?

Cheers

buky wrote: »
    hello arse, well done on cabin.
    Can I ask what you used for the base?
    Concrete slab or raised blocks etc ?

And what's on the roof?

Cheers

Hi, I built a wooden frame with 6x2s. I rested the frame on bricks, blocks, granite rocks etc. I just shoved anything solid in under the frame after I had the frame level at the corners. Worked a treat and solid as can be.

I got torch on felt on the roof, that was the only part where I got someone in.
    I'll stick a couple of pics up.

pics

Advertisement