Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 battery draining overnight

• 12-02-2013 8:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My 4 week old iPhone 5's battery was 100% charged last night at 11pm when I went to bed. I switch it into "Airplane" mode at night so I'm not disturbed by beeps if a text or email comes in, so the phone is effectively shut down for the night. However this morning, like every other morning, the charge level was down to 30% when I woke up at 6.30am.

Is this normal for the iphone 5 to lose 70% of its charge in just 7 and a half hours, while switched off? My old iPhone 3G would last for up to four days if left on standby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Could be an app. Have you tried restoring it in itunes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

This definitely doesn't sound right, especially as you are putting it in airplane mode, maybe try killing any apps that are running in the backround at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

If I got to sleep with my iPhone 4S at less than 50% it will be dead in the morning. I'm sure that's no help but at least it's not just you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Doodah7

My iPhone 4S loses an average of 12-15% overnight. You need to either check your apps or restart the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

this happened to my brothrs iphone 5after 2wks or so he ended up being able to get a new one as it was considered faulty, are you pay as you go or bill he has a bill phone and they changed it no problem!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mine lost 2% last night. midnight to 8am.
    Sounds like something in the background doing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

kceire wrote: »
    mine lost 2% last night. midnight to 8am.
    Sounds like something in the background doing something.

Yeah, that's the kind of loss I get over night. Once or twice there's been zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

mine goes down 2-5% normally every night , there have been stories of people running the latest software update that their battery is running down quicker but i have not experienced any problem

http://www.cultofmac.com/215314/ios-6-1-upgraders-reporting-battery-and-connectivity-issues-but-apples-rushing-out-a-fix/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

My 4s loses about 1% - 3% charge if left unplugged overnight. When I first bought my 4s it was eating battery also.

Not sure how experienced you are with iOS, so apologies if you already know or use some or all of these suggestions.

Killing background apps.
    When you run a new app, other apps should free up whatever memory they are using. Sometimes they don't release all the free memory, and if you double click the home button you will see a list of recently run apps. Hold your thumb on any of these icons for a moment and when the red circle appears on the corner of the icon, you can close these completely by pressing the red circle on each icon.

Perform a Hard Reset
    This won't delete any apps or data, but will reset the phone. Simultaneously press the Home button and Power button, and hold for 10 secs until the Apple logo appears.

Upgrade to iOS6.1.1
    Apple released a new version of iOS a couple of weeks ago and another update to that since. New releases often contain fixes for various issues including performance, so it's no harm to do this. If you do decide to return your phone, they will probably insist that you upgrade the software first.

GPS
    A big battery killer is the GPS - a lot of apps have Location Services enabled which you don't actually need enabled. You can disable this by app, by going Settings / Privacy / Location Services, and then disabling it for pretty much every app, other than actual Satnav or Maps programs. If it needs to be enabled, it will tell you quickly enough when you use an app.

Rather than putting the phone in Airplane mode, move the switch beside the volume buttons to Silent Mode, and place the phone screen down while you are sleeping. Any apps which still continue to wake you can be set under Settings / Notifications not to do this.

Good luck, dilallio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I gave the phone a 30 minute charge in the car on my way to work at 7am and this brought the battery back to to 70% which seemed unusual to gain 40% in just half an hour. However by 1 o'clock today, the battery was completely flat even though all I did was send six texts.

By comparison, my old iPhone 3G (which got a full charge last Thursday and is now used for about an hour a day as my "iPod" in the gym) still had about 40% charge ths morning.

I understand the 5 is a lot more advanced and so battery usage will be higher but to have the battery go flat overnight when not in use is ridiculous. Will try out the tips suggested and see if they work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I gave the phone a 30 minute charge in the car on my way to work at 7am and this brought the battery back to to 70% which seemed unusual to gain 40% in just half an hour. However by 1 o'clock today, the battery was completely flat even though all I did was send six texts.

By comparison, my old iPhone 3G (which got a full charge last Thursday and is now used for about an hour a day as my "iPod" in the gym) still had about 40% charge ths morning.

I understand the 5 is a lot more advanced and so battery usage will be higher but to have the battery go flat overnight when not in use is ridiculous. Will try out the tips suggested and see if they work.

That doesn't sound right IMO.
    Maybe call apple and I think they will replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Definitely sounds like a dodgy phone/battery.
    Call Apple, but do update your iOS first as they will insist on this before accepting it for repair.

Ok so to give the phone every chance, I've carried out all the tips and advice received above to conserve battery life, including updating the software etc. However the phone is no better. I've given it three full charge and discharge cycles (where I let the battery go completely flat) but this had no effect. In fact, each time when I recharged the phone after the complete discharge, the time and date had reset to midnight on the 1st January 1970. Then I had to shut the phone down and restart it 3 or 4 times to get it to lock onto the O2 network.

Took it off the charger last night around midnight and by this morning at 6.30am, the battery was at 41%. I checked for emails and this dropped the charge by 2% during the minute or so I was reading my emails.

I rang O2 last night and they said return it to the shop I bought it in which is in Naas. As I work in Dublin, this will mean a lunchtime drive out to Naas and back:(. How would I be able to return it to Apple if I chose that way? I had to phone Apple up a number of months ago when my Apple TV device was acting up and I was put through to a call centre in the States. Is there an Irish operation that I could contact? How long would I be without my phone as I need it for work?

Start here and enter your serial number, request a repair and you will receive an envelope and box in the post to return it via courier, takes about a week to get the replacement.
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

If you ring they offer an express option where they put a hold of the cost of the phon on a cc and charge €29. A courier will deliver the replacement and you send back yours and they remove the hold.

One thing to note though, when it is replaced by apple make sure you notify O2 of the new imei because if you request an unlock it will get messy

Returned my faulty iphone 5 to the store I bought it in today and was told I'd be waiting a week. On the plus side, they gave me an adaptor to fit my iphone 5's sim into my old iphone 3G (might be old but never let me down in the 4 years I had it, unlike the new '5' that didn't last a month).

My question now is will they fix my '5' and return it or do I get someone else's old "refurbished" phone? This just occured to me and I don't fancy getting a second hand phone in place of the brand new one I bought last month. The phone I returned was bought on the 12th of January so is just over a month old.

Apple won't be replacing your handset and I'm not sure of the process when you bring it back to store.

What's the matter if its a refurb or not? It will do the same thing and be covered by the same warranty

guil wrote: »
    Apple won't be replacing your handset and I'm not sure of the process when you bring it back to store.

What's the matter if its a refurb or not? It will do the same thing and be covered by the same warranty

The O2 store are returning it to Apple. Could have done it myself but I'm out on the road working most days and therefore wouldn't be around to meet the courier who Apple would send to collect the phone.

With regard to the "refurb", I paid for a brand new phone and simply don't want a "second hand" phone back. Its like leaving your new car in to get fixed, the garage can't fix it so they offer you a second hand one lying on their forecourt? No thanks. I paid for a new phone which died after just four weeks so they should replace it new for new.

I thought they always send off phones to fonemenders. Like I said I'm not sure if they repair the phone and send it back or send out another but comparing with getting a car repaired is stupid. A car can go wrong in so many ways.

guil wrote: »
    I thought they always send off phones to fonemenders. Like I said I'm not sure if they repair the phone and send it back or send out another but comparing with getting a car repaired is stupid. A car can go wrong in so many ways.

Ok then, what if it was a tv you bought that broke down after four weeks. Would you want a new one or a refurbished one?

Been using my old 3G phone which was charged last Thursday (of last week) and despite it being used in the gym for an hour each day as an iPod and using it fully as a phone today, there's still 50% charge left in it. Where did Apple go so wrong with their latest reincarnation of the iPhone. Just my luck that when I finally upgrade,I get a lemon.

Ok then, what if it was a tv you bought that broke down after four weeks. Would you want a new one or a refurbished one?

Been using my old 3G phone which was charged last Thursday (of last week) and despite it being used in the gym for an hour each day as an iPod and using it fully as a phone today, there's still 50% charge left in it. Where did Apple go so wrong with their latest reincarnation of the iPhone. Just my luck that when I finally upgrade,I get a lemon.
    How would you know the difference

• Advertisement
Advertisement