Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M Donnelly GAA Interprovicinals (AKA Railway Cups)

• 12-02-2013 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Another kick in the stones for this fine old tournament. Disgraceful carryon and one you hope Comhairle Laigheann would see fit to dole out punishments for.

I wish Giller and the boys all the best regardless, but what a snub to gentlemen like Pat, Sean and Mickey.

Kildare players 'unavailable' for Gilroy's Leinster plans

Kildare will not be represented on the Leinster football team for Sunday's inter-provincial semi-final against Connacht in Longford's Pearse Park.

It is understood that the Division 1 table-toppers, fresh from league wins over Donegal and Cork, have not been able to supply the players manager Pat Gilroy had sought in recent weeks.

For various reasons, the players requested by the Leinster management were 'unavailable', so Gilroy and his co-selectors, last year's Leinster manager Sean Boylan and Mickey Whelan, have had to press on without any Kildare input.

Gilroy's presence as manager has, however, ensured a rich Dublin representation, with Stephen Cluxton, Rory O'Carroll, Paul Flynn and Bernard Brogan among those who are available. The GAA will this morning launch the series ahead of the weekend hurling and football semi-finals, with speculation that the finals will be played in Croke Park for the first time since 2007.

The GAA have set aside Sunday for all inter-provincial action, with matches in Longford, Tullamore – where Leinster meet Connacht in their hurling semi-final – and Armagh, where both Ulster teams host Munster.

- Irish Independent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Shame on them for not releasing their players.
    I'd love to see this competition being revived. I know this thread will probably have plenty of anti-Railway Cup responders and fair enough but personally I believe it should be kept on. The players want it and so do some of the fans.
    I attended last years semis in Parnell Park and was great seeing players from Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Meath, Kildare etc all on the one pitch.
    It gave the likes of Gary Hurney a fine footballer from Waterford a chance to play alongside All Stars and compete for silverware.
    I think the final had 3000 at it, not bad to be honest. Plenty of potential there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

This competition is a relic of the past. Nobody cares about it and any attempts to revive it are futile. Kildare players have had a competitive inter county match for the past seven consecutive weekends and many of the panel would have played for their third level colleges mid week. They will have four matches in as many weeks in March. If the GAA are serious about player burnout then they would not be trying to revive this pointless competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

This competition is a relic of the past. Nobody cares about it and any attempts to revive it are futile. Kildare players have had a competitive inter county match for the past seven consecutive weekends and many of the panel would have played for their third level colleges mid week. They will have four matches in as many weeks in March. If the GAA are serious about player burnout then they would not be trying to revive this pointless competition.

Have to strongly agree with klairon here player burnout is a serious issue. Reviving this cup or trying to bring it to life again is silly with the amount of club, inter-county and college ball these guys are currently playing along with the gruelling training.

Who is to say that the players don't want to give anymore of their time to a relic competition?? I highly doubt KCB have refused to allow players to play in this.

Think about it this way if your training all hours u have and playing 2 or 3 matches a week would you want to gove anymore of your time to a sport that is AMATEUR??

If anyone else posted this I would think it genuinely was a good discussion but seeing who OP IS says it all anti Kildare much cormac?

How do you get any work done cormac your fascination is costing you money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Plenty care about it as shown in the previous post. Players and fans alike. If its good enough for someone like Tomás O Sé its good enough for a Kildare player. There is nothing pointless about this tournament as was the case last year when Doyle and Conway togged out for it. You are merely trying to cover up for your counties carry on. You can and will view this as anti Kildare but I would hope you can see beyond such foolish namecalling. This is more serious than that. This is a valuable tournament and were it not placed this weekend and left clear for it, Kildare would have no issue using their players for an NFL game.

Its embarrassing.

Plenty care about it as shown in the previous post. Players and fans alike. If its good enough for someone like Tomás O Sé its good enough for a Kildare player. There is nothing pointless about this tournament as was the case last year when Doyle and Conway togged out for it. You are merely trying to cover up for your counties carry on. You can and will view this as anti Kildare but I would hope you can see beyond such foolish namecalling. This is more serious than that. This is a valuable tournament and were it not placed this weekend and left clear for it, Kildare would have no issue using their players for an NFL game.

Its embarrassing.

I don't see this as anti-Kildare. Far from it. I would support this stance from any county. If the players wanted to play in it then they would be available for it. They clearly are not too pushed.

This tournament is no longer relevant and everyone knows it. It's simply being paid lip service by the GAA. I'd love to know how many on here intend to go to the Railway Cup and how many know who won it last year?

• Advertisement

Its embarrassing.

Sure I thought you were of the opinion Kildare were a **** side? What players could "gillers" (really?? Gillers???) want lmao best mates...

On a serious note players do not have to play any games if I was putting the hours in like them I would want to see my family not play in a tournament the gaa are trying to bring back to make more money for fatcats in HQ...

Carry on my arse, lads should be able to choose to play or not

Well done to the GAA, they've just announced that the Interprovincial Football Final is to be played at Croke Park on Sunday week, with the proceeds going to Crumlin Children's Hospital. An absolutely wonderful gesture, and I would hope that as many GAA fans try get out to watch these games and in turn support one of the most noble charities in Irish society.

There is still a place for the Interprovincials, marketed properly and backed by the County Boards and the GAA (let's be honest, the players are already completely behind this, at least it seems from everyone except Kildare players as things stand), there is still a huge appetite for this competition. A far more worthwhile and valuable showpiece than the absolute disgrace that is Intl Rules and Shinty.

I don't see this as anti-Kildare. Far from it. I would support this stance from any county. If the players wanted to play in it then they would be available for it. They clearly are not too pushed.

This tournament is no longer relevant and everyone knows it. It's simply being paid lip service by the GAA. I'd love to know how many on here intend to go to the Railway Cup and how many know who won it last year?

I don't believe the Kildare players would stand up to their manager if he made this call, which it seems more than apparent he has. I doubt you believe it either for one moment.

By the way, its not called the Railway Cup and to do so is to do a disservice to a great GAA man, M Donnelly.

I was there last year, the year before and the year before that. I rarely miss an Interpro Game and will be there again this weekend.

there is still a huge appetite for this competition

It is indeed a great gesture that the gate will go to charity but what do you base the above statement on. It is clearly not the case.

Supporting a provincial unit is not something that appeals to your average GAA punter who first and foremost is a club man and then a county man.

It is indeed a great gesture that the gate will go to charity but what do you base the above statement on. It is clearly not the case.

Supporting a provincial unit is not something that appeals to your average GAA punter who first and foremost is a club man and then a county man.
    Many GAA men support the franchises that are Munster, Leinster and Connacht Rugby, some of the greatest marketing ploys ever carried out in Irish society. They also see fit to go along to see the hybrid abomination that is the Intl Rules.

Marketed properly, people will go along and support anything. The Club Cships were once a small tournament with finals played in backwaters around the country before the GAA and AIB pushed and moved them to Croke Park, now we have Junioe and Intermediate finals played there. Marketed properly, people will support.

If Counties such as Kildare and their players think they are too good for something like this, then that is their loss sadly. Lets hope their colleagues in other counties don't feel the same, to be honest, having watched a lot of these games, I know this not to be a fact. The players want it, the fans will buy it if marketed properly. Of that there is little doubt.

• Advertisement

I don't believe the Kildare players would stand up to their manager if he made this call, which it seems more than apparent he has. I doubt you believe it either for one moment.

I disagree. If the players wanted to play I'm sure they would be facilitated. There were rumours that Kildare players were instructed by management not to play third level football this year but they have proven to be false. Tomás Connor and Niall Kelly played with their colleges last week, hence why they didn't start for Kildare on Saturday night.

I disagree. If the players wanted to play I'm sure they would be facilitated. There were rumours that Kildare players were instructed by management not to play third level football this year but they have proven to be false. Tomás Connor and Niall Kelly played with their colleges last week, hence why they didn't start for Kildare on Saturday night.
    Rumours. And surely if the players were dropped for playing with their colleges this goes against your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I don't think it was ever a case that the GAA fan wanted to support the Railway cup. Your province plays max two games, so it's not really worth getting too excited about. It was more about the honour of being considered one of the best in your province back in the day before all-stars, and in the pre-tv era for players from weaker counties to play with the best players in the land and showcase their own talents to a much larger audience than usual.

The draw for a punter would be the fact these would be highly competitive and exciting exhibition games. They still have the same nature about them, but I definitely think that as you've pointed out that the prestige has worn a bit which does devalue it as a competition. I wouldn't make a trip up to Dublin especially to see it, but if I was around I'd head in to see the game.

Many GAA men support the franchises that are Munster, Leinster and Connacht Rugby, some of the greatest marketing ploys ever carried out in Irish society. They also see fit to go along to see the hybrid abomination that is the Intl Rules.

Marketed properly, people will go along and support anything. The Club Cships were once a small tournament with finals played in backwaters around the country before the GAA and AIB pushed and moved them to Croke Park, now we have Junioe and Intermediate finals played there. Marketed properly, people will support.

If Counties such as Kildare and their players think they are too good for something like this, then that is their loss sadly. Lets hope their colleagues in other counties don't feel the same, to be honest, having watched a lot of these games, I know this not to be a fact. The players want it, the fans will buy it if marketed properly. Of that there is little doubt.

But these tournaments are not marketed properly Cormac. They are merely paid lip service by the GAA who can then claim that they promoted them and that people didn't want them.

The rugby comparison is a bit silly. They have the international dimension of the Heineken Cup that the GAA will never have. The provinces have also all but destroyed the AIL in rugby which attracted huge numbers during the nineties. The GAA is too parochial for inter-provincial rivalry to take off to anywhere near the same extent.

Also weren't the All Ireland intermediate and junior club championships only introduced during Seán Kelly's stint as president? They have always had their finals played in Croke Park as far as I know. The Railway Cup finals used to be the St Patrick's Day showpiece until the senior club finals were moved to that day.

I don't think it was ever a case that the GAA fan wanted to support the Railway cup. Your province plays max two games, so it's not really worth getting too excited about. It was more about the honour of being considered one of the best in your province back in the day before all-stars, and in the pre-tv era for players from weaker counties to play with the best players in the land and showcase their own talents to a much larger audience than usual.

The draw for a punter would be the fact these would be highly competitive and exciting exhibition games. They still have the same nature about them, but I definitely think that as you've pointed out that the prestige has worn a bit which does devalue it as a competition. I wouldn't make a trip up to Dublin especially to see it, but if I was around I'd head in to see the game.
    The problem you've outlined lies, not with the player, not with the competition, but with the Authority. Moving the games from Patricks Day made it an orphan child of the association. Since then the GAA have attempted to wash their hands with it, but it has been the players and M Donnelly who have kept the competition alive when attempts to strangle it came from all sides.

Anyone who goes to the games knows how competitive they are. Marketed properly, this competitive nature can be fanned, fuelled, flamed. It is not difficult, if the IRFU can sell the shít on a stick that is the Pro 12, then this sort of competition can easily be exploited and sold better.

This competition will endur,e it will continue, regardless of the GAA's attempts to belittle it, and regardless of counties such as Kildare's attempts to snub it. It will continue it will return, in time, of that I am sure.

But these tournaments are not marketed properly Cormac. They are merely paid lip service by the GAA who can then claim that they promoted them and that people didn't want them.
    So promote them properly. I'm not seeing your point.
    The rugby comparison is a bit silly. They have the international dimension of the Heineken Cup that the GAA will never have. The provinces have also all but destroyed the AIL in rugby which attracted huge numbers during the nineties. The GAA is too parochial for inter-provincial rivalry to take off to anywhere near the same extent.
    It was relevant in that they created an entity from one that barely existed. The GAA have one that thrived in the past and can again. The IRFU were happy to kill the Club game to fuel the pro one, 2 games a year WILL NOT do likewise to the GAA Club game.

Also weren't the All Ireland intermediate and junior club championships only introduced during Seán Kelly's stint as president? They have always had their finals played in Croke Park as far as I know. The Railway Cup finals used to be the St Patrick's Day showpiece until the senior club finals were moved to that day.

Yes they were, what are you trying to say? I was referring to the Senior Club finals which had a nomadic beginings at first, before finding a home.

Find a home for the Interpro's and watch them thrive once more.

Good to see the gates are going to crumlin hospital though.

Rumours. And surely if the players were dropped for playing with their colleges this goes against your argument.

They didn't start because it would be counter productive to ask players to play three full games in the space of a week. They both were introduced at half time which proves that the Kildare management did not issue any instructions to stop playing third level football. Similarly Paddy Brophy played for the Maynooth freshers midweek before the league opener and he was introduced as a sub during the last two matches. It's crazy carry on to be asking players to line out every weekend on heavy pitches at this time of year. The Kildare players obviously feel that they could do with recharging the batteries before another four matches in consecutive weeks in March. If they feel they have to put their county in front of their province to do this then so be it.

They didn't start because it would be counter productive to ask players to play three full games in the space of a week. They both were introduced at half time which proves that the Kildare management did not issue any instructions to stop playing third level football.
    So why did you bring up the rumours if you since "proved" them to be untrue (I'm not sure you proved anything, droppoing the players and introducing them when you needed them to win the game would appear to be an attempt at a punishment to me).

Kildare as far as I'm aware never snubbed this competition before. Maybe gillers lol wanted 2/3 of the Kildare lads maybe with work, family, county and club duties they can't give anymore time..

What Kildare players said they didn't want to be involved ill try get some confirmation on why those players can't or won't or don't have the time to be involved

• Advertisement

It was relevant in that they created an entity from one that barely existed. The GAA have one that thrived in the past and can again. The IRFU were happy to kill the Club game to fuel the pro one, 2 games a year WILL NOT do likewise to the GAA Club game.

There is a continental dimension to provincial rugby that can never be created in the GAA. If it wasn't for the Heineken Cup, Munster v Leinster would still be played out in front of sparse crowds in Dooradoyle. If there were only inter-provincial matches in rugby them teams would never have taken off to the same extent over the past 15 years.

The GAA is too parochial for the same rivalry to thrive. The Railway Cup thrived in the past when it was one of the few live games broadcast on radio and it gave the public the opportunity to see these players live in action. With the blanket media coverage that football and hurling get nowadays and the ease with which people can get to matches, the novelty of seeing the best players in action doesn't exist anymore. We can see them any weekend by turning on TG4 or hopping in the car for an hour to go to the match.

There is a continental dimension to provincial rugby that can never be created in the GAA. If it wasn't for the Heineken Cup, Munster v Leinster would still be played out in front of sparse crowds in Dooradoyle. If there were only inter-provincial matches in rugby them teams would never have taken off to the same extent over the past 15 years.

The GAA is too parochial for the same rivalry to thrive. The Railway Cup thrived in the past when it was one of the few live games broadcast on radio and it gave the public the opportunity to see these players live in action. With the blanket media coverage that football and hurling get nowadays and the ease with which people can get to matches, the novelty of seeing the best players in action doesn't exist anymore. We can see them any weekend by turning on TG4 or hopping in the car for an hour to go to the match.
    So what you're saying is that the couple of thiousand who go along to the Interpro's are purely simpletons who don't realise they could just turn on TG4?

What you don't see to realise is that this should at least be given the opportunity to live or die on its own merits with the correct respect given to it with regards marketing and sales. To do any less, is just shameful.

So why did you bring up the rumours if you since "proved" them to be untrue (I'm not sure you proved anything, droppoing the players and introducing them when you needed them to win the game would appear to be an attempt at a punishment to me).

The rumours were that McGeeney said that any player who wanted to play third level football would not be retained on the county panel. It was rumoured to be the reason why Niall Carew left the set up. It has proven to be nonsense because there are numerous players on both the senior and u21 panels (McGeeney is over them as well this year) who have been playing third level football.

I'm sure if any Kildare player was invited to play with Leinster and wanted to be involved then the Kildare management would not stand in their way. You obviously think differently. If Emmet Bolton, Johnny Doyle or Mick Foley did line out for Leinster I doubt McGeeney would be dropping them for it!

So what you're saying is that its possible McGeeney backed down on his threat.

So what you're saying is that the couple of thiousand who go along to the Interpro's are purely simpletons who don't realise they could just turn on TG4?

What you don't see to realise is that this should at least be given the opportunity to live or die on its own merits with the correct respect given to it with regards marketing and sales. To do any less, is just shameful.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying....

The Railway Cup drew huge crowds in an era when there was not the blanket media coverage that there is now. Seeing the best players in action is not a novelty for the public anymore. It is something we can enjoy most weekends of the year. That was most definitely not the case in the 1950s.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

in a tournament the gaa are trying to bring back to make more money for fatcats in HQ...
    Interprovincial Football Final is to be played at Croke Park on Sunday week, with the proceeds going to Crumlin Children's Hospital.

had to laugh at that. :pac:

as for the tournament, its a shame that Kildare have taken the stance they have, but the GAA leave it open for them to do so by devaluing the competetion. I went to a couple of these games when they were on close by, but I wouldnt travel far to go see one. It needs a bit of a spark or something. The All star game used to be iconic too, and now its just a jolly up abroad and not worth watching, but great for players. If they could put the inter provincials on at a time that they could market it properly and get the enthusiasm going for it again, it could be a great addition to the gaa calender to see these all stars play in a competetive environment.

bruschi wrote: »
    had to laugh at that. :pac:

Have that poster on ignore, so I didnt see that, HIlarious, thanks mate :D

With regards the rest of your post, I agree the GAA have added to the devaluation of this competition, but the players never have. To see a set of players doing so now is shocking. Eamon McGee I believe was talking recently about how much he enjoys playing over training, obvious enough you'd think. Are you telling me these Kildare players won't be training over the weekend? Will they fúck.

By the way, I see Kenmare will play their Junior Club Final with the Final in Croke Park, this I know has come about out of necessity more so than planning, but its not a bad idea and one that could be looked into more.

Great to see President Liam O Neill coming out urging County Players to make themselves available. With the Crumlin Hospital link up this is a great time and opportunity to promote this great competition once more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Good to see the gates are going to crumlin hospital though.

Turnstiles in Crumlin Hospital ? .. jaysis the queues in A&E were bad enough before ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Have that poster on ignore, so I didnt see that, HIlarious, thanks mate :D

With regards the rest of your post, I agree the GAA have added to the devaluation of this competition, but the players never have. To see a set of players doing so now is shocking. Eamon McGee I believe was talking recently about how much he enjoys playing over training, obvious enough you'd think. Are you telling me these Kildare players won't be training over the weekend? Will they fúck.

A worthwhile discussion to be had on the merits of the interprovincials and also how to promote it better but once again an obssession with everything Kildare and trying to get jibes at Kildare permeates your posts.

Do you search every morning for articles that you can use to wind up kildare?

Its hilarious that you have a certain poster on ignore but yet you copy his avatar!!

Tom Joad wrote: »
    A worthwhile discussion to be had on the merits of the interprovincials and also how to promote it better but once again an obssession with everything Kildare and trying to get jibes at Kildare permeates your posts.

Do you search every morning for articles that you can use to wind up kildare?

Its hilarious that you have a certain poster on ignore but yet you copy his avatar!!
    Not sure what you're getting at. I put a certain poster on ignore on advice of a long time poster on here and I must admit it's definitely enhanced my enjoyment of the board and made things a lot less difficult for myself on here. With regards winding up, I take offence at that comment, I have never attempted to wind anyone on here up. As anyone here will see I have a great passion for this series and competition, and have had a good discussion with a Kildare poster called klariondavis who I would have a large degree of respect for as a poster in my short time here.

As for searching for articles regarding a particular county, I think you'll find I've posted articles relating to counties as varied as Kildare, Armagh, Louth and Tipperary in recent weeks, so that comment is unnecessary and wrong.

Feel free to debate the topic anytime you like.

Not sure what you're getting at. I put a certain poster on ignore on advice of a long time poster on here and I must admit it's definitely enhanced my enjoyment of the board and made things a lot less difficult for myself on here. With regards winding up, I take offence at that comment, I have never attempted to wind anyone on here up. As anyone here will see I have a great passion for this series and competition, and have had a good discussion with a Kildare poster called klariondavis who I would have a large degree of respect for as a poster in my short time here.

As for searching for articles regarding a particular county, I think you'll find I've posted articles relating to counties as varied as Kildare, Armagh, Louth and Tipperary in recent weeks, so that comment is unnecessary and wrong.

Feel free to debate the topic anytime you like.

Ok I stand corrected - you have also tried to wind up Armagh and Tipperary posters (not sure about Louth and couldn't be arsed checking).

I tried to debate with you previously but that didn't go well - am still awaiting your submission to the FRC and your alternative proposals.

But ok, lets debate subject at hand.

My views - Bruschi put it well in his post (so I thanked it) - Pity Kildare have taken the stance they have but GAA have let the competition get to this stage by not promoting it properly over a long time. Its more clutter on the calendar (btw you quoted McGee completely out of context) that players don't really want. But if a coherent plan was put together by HQ to promote it better position it better in the calendar it could become a really good event. The charity element is a nice touch and is a good example of this.

Re Kildare not making players available - I'm not bothered to be honest who it was that decided this (don't have it to hand but my sense is that they are not the first to do this). Kildare and Tyrone have taken a sheer bloody minded approach to winning an All-Ireland in recent years (in Kildare's case I think this reflects the personality of their manager) - some people don't like that / some respect it. Me, I like Kildare and would like to see them win an All-Ireland and to me what Tyrone done this year re St Marys/ McKenna cup deserves more outrage than this non-story.

But I don't play games or try to wind people up - I make no secret of the fact that I don't particularly like Tyrone so I don't start threads everytime Tyrone do something which vindicates my irrational dislike of Tyrone.

Brogan_Bernard_interprolaunch2013.jpg

The GAA announced on Tuesday that all proceeds from the 2013 M. Donnelly Interprovincial Football Final, to be held on Sunday February 24, will go directly to Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin.

The AIB GAA Football All-Ireland Junior Club Championship final involving Kenmare Shamrocks (Kerry) and Ballinasloe (Galway) will act as the curtain raiser at 2pm, while the inter-provincial football final will throw-in at 3.45pm.

Uachtarán Chumann Lúthchleas Gael Liam Ó Néill made the announcement in Croke Park at the launch of the competition, and was joined by footballers Bernard Brogan, Dublin and Ciarán Lyng, Wexford, who were on hand to show their support for the charity.

“The Association is delighted to play its part in helping the hospital fulfill its ambitious target of completing and delivering world class facilities for cardiac and cancer patients and their families," commented the Uachtarán at the launch.

“Our inter-county All-Ireland winners have a long-standing tradition of visiting Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin with the Sam Maguire and Liam MacCarthy Cups, always bringing a lot of excitement and joy to many of the children.

“Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin is delighted to team up with the GAA to help raise funds for our Cancer and Cardiac Wards,” said Geraldine Regan, Deputy CE/Director of Nursing at Our Lady's Children's Hospital Crumlin, at today’s announcement.

“For many years the winning All-Ireland football team has visited the hospital with the Sam Maguire Cup. The children and their families look forward to these visits and many of them decorate their rooms in the team colours.

“This fund raiser is a very welcome extension of that support by the GAA and its players, which everyone associated with the Hospital much appreciates.”

The two 2013 M. Donnelly inter-provincial football semi-finals take place this coming Sunday, February 17. In the first semi-final, reigning champions Ulster take on 2009 winners Munster at the Morgan Athletic Grounds, Armagh with throw-in at 2.15pm.

In the second semi-final, Leinster take on Connacht at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park, Longford at 2pm.

Tickets for the semi-finals are priced at €10 for Adults, €5 for Students/Senior Citizens with Juveniles, Free of Charge (FOC).

Tickets for this Croke Park double header are priced at €10 for Adults, €5 for Juveniles with all proceeds going to Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin. Tickets can be purchased through gaa.ie/tickets or other usual outlets.

Ok I stand corrected

Thank you.
    My views - Bruschi put it well in his post (so I thanked it) - Pity Kildare have taken the stance they have but GAA have let the competition get to this stage by not promoting it properly over a long time. Its more clutter on the calendar (btw you quoted McGee completely out of context) that players don't really want. But if a coherent plan was put together by HQ to promote it better position it better in the calendar it could become a really good event. The charity element is a nice touch and is a good example of this.

Feel free to quote McGee properly, this is a free board I'm sure.

The GAA are trying to do something for the Competition and should be commended for that, no have their legs cut out from under them by a county. It's easy shout from the cheap seats, but the GAA left this weekend free for this competition and flagged it well in advance. Kildare are welcome to do what they wish, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be open to criticism for it.
    what Tyrone done this year re St Marys/ McKenna cup deserves more outrage than this non-story.

Should you wish to display outrage about what Tyrone did to the McKenna Cup then you were free to do post a thread at the time, not try to hijack this one with your dislike of a County.

But I don't play games or try to wind people up - I make no secret of the fact that I don't particularly like Tyrone so I don't start threads everytime Tyrone do something which vindicates my irrational dislike of Tyrone.

I'm not sure what you want me to say here. Eh, well done? I don't either, it is you who claim it. However, that claim does not make it so. As pointed out earlier, this has lead to some good debate already. I don't appreciate your claims.

• Advertisement

Thank you.

Oh the irony - just when I comment on your selective posting you do that!!

The GAA are trying to do something for the Competition and should be commended for that, no have their legs cut out from under them by a county. It's easy shout from the cheap seats, but the GAA left this weekend free for this competition and flagged it well in advance. Kildare are welcome to do what they wish, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be open to criticism for it.

They are giving money to charity - not exactly a lot of money but well done. Hardly doing something for the competition really though - the timing is awful and so much more could be done with the competition. Kerry haven't exactly embraced the competition with open arms in the past either and other counties have no time for it.

Should you wish to display outrage about what Tyrone did to the McKenna Cup then you were free to do post a thread at the time, not try to hijack this one with your dislike of a County.

Wow, just wow - I was merely using that as an example - my point I don't start a thread and wind up people by starting threads about counties I don't like.

By all means lets debate the interprovincials and their place in the sport but leave out the mock outrage.

Huh?

comments are in bold under your comments - can you not see them??

No, nothing showing up in bold. Feel free to repost in the format I did with yours.

No, nothing showing up in bold. Feel free to repost in the format I did with yours.

You on a phone??

No idea how to do that but your comments are in normal font - my responses in bold - best I can do.

Thank you.

Oh the irony - just when I comment on your selective posting you do that!!

They are giving money to charity - not exactly a lot of money but well done. Hardly doing something for the competition really though - the timing is awful and so much more could be done with the competition. Kerry haven't exactly embraced the competition with open arms in the past either and other counties have no time for it.

Wow, just wow - I was merely using that as an example - my point I don't start a thread and wind up people by starting threads about counties I don't like.

By all means lets debate the interprovincials and their place in the sport but leave out the mock outrage

• Advertisement

JACK O’CONNOR has not factored the revived Railway Cup into his championship preparations. As a result, only two Kerry footballers are expected to feature in Munster’s Interprovincial semi-final against Leinster at Parnell Park this Sunday.
    This is in stark contrast to 10 of the Dublin side that beat them in last September’s All-Ireland final being available for Leinster. These include the Brogan brothers, Bernard and Alan, along with Bryan Cullen and Stephen Cluxton.
    The Munster panel, having trained last night in Mallow, will be announced today. Dr Crokes’ involvement in the All-Ireland club semi-final against Crossmaglen on Saturday takes Colm Cooper and Eoin Brosnan (who confirmed his availability for Kerry in 2012) out of consideration but Munster manager Ger O’Sullivan had to concede a general lack of appetite from the Kingdom.
    “I know they have some reasons but for one reason or another they just don’t seem to be interested,” said O’Sullivan at yesterday’s M Donnelly Interprovincial launch in Croke Park. “It doesn’t surprise me that much but it disappoints me that one of the top counties in the country wouldn’t give it more support.
    “I think the players would like to play but they have a training schedule laid down for this week. Jack is not involved with Munster and he wanted the players so they are not released and we will have to work with what we have.
    “When we won in 2008 we had only Tomás Ó Sé and Pádraig Reidy [from Kerry] and we won it. What you want is 20, 25 committed players. I think the team that takes the field for Munster on Sunday will be committed. We’re coming up on Saturday evening, we’re taking it very seriously.
    “Okay, I know Leinster are very strong, but we’d still hope to give them a game.”
    O’Sullivan, who doubles as Cork selector, must also do without a few marquee names from his own county like injured pair Daniel Goulding and Colm O’Neill, “but Graham Canty, Alan Quirke, Paddy Kelly, Paudie Kissane and Paul Kerrigan will be there”.
    The usual problem for the formerly-named Railway Cup is it doesn’t have a permanent home on the GAA fixture list.
    “I suggested to Martin (Donnelly, main sponsor) that when this is over the interested parties should get their heads together and look at all the options in relation to timing,” O’Sullivan continued. “We can get a window in the calendar but the current window probably isn’t suitable.
    “We have a fortnight break now in our league and a week would do us. Play this off at the end of the McGrath or O’Byrne Cups. Don’t play back-doors or shields. Play the first rounds of the interpros before the league then pencil in a weekend around the [club] finals. If not St Patrick’s Day then somewhere close.
    “Have a week of GAA activities and tie it in with the clubs. I know there were proposals to play the football with the [club] football and hurling with hurling. I know one of them would have to move but maybe change them every year. Give it a permanent spot on the calendar for three years.”
    GAA President Christy Cooney, who previously declared the competition to be finished, hardly gave it a ringing endorsement at yesterday’s launch in Croke Park.
    “I have said this already, ye know my views – number one, the players have to be committed to it; number two, spectators have to turn up and watch it; and number three, it has to be cost effective.
    “The association can’t put a lot of money into the development of a series that nobody wants to go and see.”

And just to show that its not a Kildare phenomenon not to release players - Kerry have done similar last year.

Full round of club fixtures going ahead in Kildare this weekend. It could be that the players who were invited to join the Leinster panel intend on playing some part for their clubs at the weekend?
    Saturday 16th February 2013
    Aldridge Cup
    Ballymore Eustace v Allenwood
    Celbridge v Moorefield
    Clane v St Laurence's
    Confey v Athy
    Leixlip v Suncroft
    Naas v Sarsfields
    St Kevin's v Carbury
    Maynooth bye

Keogh Cup
    Castledermot v Eadestown
    Johnstownbridge v Ellistown
    Kilcullen v Ballyteague
    Raheens v Caragh
    Rathangan v Nurney
    Robertstown v Clogherinkoe
    Round Towers v Kilcock
    Sallins v Kill
    Monasterevan bye

Dowling Cup
    Milltown v Cappagh
    Moorefield v Castlemitchell
    Straffan v St Laurence's
    Two Mile House v Celbridge
    Sarsfields bye

Not sure what Kerry have to do with it, when was the last time Kerry had no representative on the Munster Interprovincial side, or refused to field for a reason or other? I can't honestly recall, but you are welcome to tell me if you know? As for other counties, I'll gladly take direction on that too if you feel that way inclined.

But be aware, it won't affect what I'm saying here, which is that the GAA have at last set aside a date, cleared fixtures on that date, given it a high profile venue in Croke Park and aligned themselves with a worth charity. They should still be doing more, of that there is little doubt, but they have had a press day today in Croke Park to launch it, had one of the brightest talents in the GAA there to help (someone who has regularly made himself available to play in this tournament, even last year when he was coming off a long long year himself and facing into another long one). They have made mistakes, sure, but they are trying, and deserve support, not what they got from Kildare.

That is my point and I've yet to hear a good enough reason to change it.

Again, just because you deem something so, does not make it so. I was not outraged, so there was no mock outrage. If you have or had an issue with Tyrone and their apparent treatment of a pre season tournament, well then take it up with someone that cares, for that is not me nor have I given you an inclination that I may be such a person. I can't be any clearer.

And just to show that its not a Kildare phenomenon not to release players - Kerry have done similar last year.
    Yet STILL released players to play in it. And had I been a member of the forum last year, I may have set up a thread then. But for someone like Tomás O Sé to still show support tells you all you need to know about how the players feel about this still.

Not the same.

There is a provincial identity in Gaelic games but it’s more to be found in
    the context of the provincial championships rather than interprovincial
    competition, writes SEAN MORAN

HARRY HOUDINI died almost a year before the Railway Cup was inaugurated. He
    was consequently denied the opportunity to make himself familiar with an
    institution, which would in time emulate all his legendary feats of
    escapology.

Compared to some of the tight corners, last weekend’s verdict by Central
    Council represents deliverance from no more demanding a task than being tied to
    an icicle with paper ribbons but the fact three years after then GAA
    president Christy Cooney declared it dead but for the regulatory formalities
    there it is, still up and running and occupying the energies of the
    organisation.

As a younger man I wrote sternly that the GAA must make up its mind on the
    interprovincial competitions: back them or bury them, etc. I of course missed
    the point that the association is literally incapable of making up its mind on
    the subject. Every time one part of the administration – generally the
    full-time secretariat, which has to organise and accommodate the competition –
    proposes its abolition, the other – the more sentimentally inclined Central
    Council – refuses to pull the plug.

As part of a consultative process the latest committee on the matter, which
    was chaired by Armagh Central Council delegate Jarlath Burns, was appointed and
    asked to identify the best time to run off the interprovincials, as the lack of
    a regular spot in the calendar has been diagnosed as one of the competition’s
    most conspicuous shortcomings.

Burns may have amused by the irony thinking back to that congress of 2010 at
    which Cooney said that the interprovincials were dead. The same weekend Burns
    fought gallantly to have the mark in football fully debated and was knocked
    back. Two and a half years later there’s still no sign of the mark (although the
    Football Review Committee may propose its reconsideration) and the supposedly
    stricken interprovincials are still ambling through the landscape.

The document produced is an interesting exercise, grappling as it does with
    the essential truth nobody’s that interested any more and laying out the
    arguments for and against various slots on the calendar. Too much of the
    competition’s advocacy relies on surreal invocations of the past: “It’s a shame
    the way those Amstrads have been let go. Remember that green lettering on the
    screen! They sold 700,000 in the mid-1980s. Seven hundred thousand! A bit of
    promotion is all they need. Of course the GAA couldn’t care less . . .,
    etc.”

The Burns committee, the Interprovincial sub-group, didn’t in its
    presentation make recommendations but just laid out the options with flashes of
    amusing understatement. Bullet-point six on page three (Current
    Scenario) states: “Many initiatives have been tried to revive it.” Bullet-point
    seven: “All have failed”.

Page six (The Rugby Comparison) at bullet-point three: “Some argue
    our own provincial identity has suffered as a result of the decline of
    interprovincials.” Bullet-point four: “Strong arguments against this
    analysis.”

The sub-group’s addressing of that comparison with rugby was worthwhile
    because there’s far too much misleading argument that the GAA has in some way
    conceded interprovincial sport to the IRFU. Even bullet-point one on this page
    states: “IRFU has created a successful professional structure around the
    provincial identity.” It would be more accurate to say Lansdowne Road has
    created a successful professional identity around the provincial structure.

Rugby has had provincial teams for well over a century and until around 15
    years ago there was as much interest in their dealings as there is in the
    Railway Cup. Professionalism changed that in that it created a requirement for
    revenue-generating competitions, which by their nature have to have public
    appeal.

The demographic requirements of professional teams in Ireland made the
    provinces an ideal unit for competing at that level and the modern era in Irish
    rugby began. It’s hard to argue the crowds attending Celtic League and European
    Cup matches are there for any different reasons than spectators the world over
    follow the local professional franchise.

There is a provincial identity in Gaelic games but it’s more to be found in
    the context of the provincial championships rather than interprovincial
    competition. Every sport has its elite competitions: Gaelic games are run on a
    county basis and rugby’s are organised on a provincial structure.

There is also a passing reference to the “decline” of the IRFU club system.
    This is frequently used as an argument against professionalism, citing the
    impact on clubs as a negative consequence. But the reality is a little
    different. Adult club rugby has suffered a fall in numbers since professionalism
    but so have other team sports, which weren’t amateur in the mid-1990s. The
    global, lifestyle drift away from team-based recreational activity isn’t unique
    to rugby.

What the game has gained is dramatically elevated profile. Hundreds of
    children turn up for mini-rugby and the visible identification of the public
    with the provinces as evidenced in replica jersey sales testify to the growing
    popularity of the game and its marquee competitions.

There is an interesting checklist on page eight of the presentation entitled:
    “How do we define a successful competition”? The bullet-points largely define
    something that the interprovincials clearly are not: A large crowd, Money
    generator for the Association, Media interest, Medal means a lot to players, A
    team dynamic is created and Respected by administrators.

Coincidentally these elements all apply to another competition that has also
    been down-graded in recent years. The International Rules series has suffered
    badly from being reduced to a three-year cycle, including a gap year. Its
    consequent loss of momentum has contributed to a noticeable becalming of the
    project. Even some Croke Park officials privately accept that the gap year leads
    to a major void in the autumn schedules where previously the GAA was delivering,
    in alternate years, good crowds and annually decent media coverage during an
    otherwise dead period of the calendar.

This isn’t to diminish the obvious problems facing the international series.
    Maybe it is too delicate a concept depending as it does for its survival on the
    constant competitiveness between just two games from different ends of the
    earth. But it’s equally true that many of the international game’s problems were
    caused by failures: to address indiscipline forcefully before it was nearly too
    late and to avoid complacency about player availability, which in later years
    has inhibited selections.

But the basic point is whereas a competition with virtually no vital signs
    continues to absorb the energies of capable individuals like Burns and his
    committee, a perfectly serviceable one is sitting in the corner undermined by
    neglect.

Good article on the Interprovincials from Indo- have highlighted a few bits.

Full round of club fixtures going ahead in Kildare this weekend. It could be that the players who were invited to join the Leinster panel intend on playing some part for their clubs at the weekend?
    Then they could and should have said this. Fair play to McGeeney though if he is releasing all the players to the Clubs this weekend, I'd heard in the past there had been issues in this regard. He's obviously changed his tune a little bit with regards the Clubs in Kildare if all the players on the panel are allowed turn out for their Clubs this weekend.

Good article on the Interprovincials from Indo- have highlighted a few bits.
    Christy Cooney was the worst President the Association has had in decades. Liam O'Neill is attempting to save this Competition after years of neglect. Not sure how relevant this is in that regard.

Then they could and should have said this. Fair play to McGeeney though if he is releasing all the players to the Clubs this weekend, I'd heard in the past there had been issues in this regard. He's obviously changed his tune a little bit with regards the Clubs in Kildare if all the players on the panel are allowed turn out for their Clubs this weekend.

I don't know if this is the case. Simply throwing it out there.

As regards coming out and saying this, perhaps they did or perhaps they weren't asked what the reason was. The article by Keys is hardly detailed. It simply states that the players who were invited to join up were 'unavailable.'

I don't know if this is the case. Simply throwing it out there.

As regards coming out and saying this, perhaps they did or perhaps they weren't asked what the reason was. The article by Keys is hardly detailed. It simply states that the players who were invited to join up were 'unavailable.'
    I guess we won't know what made them unavailable. It's just that someone mentioned that it was because of burnout or they like, yet they are either training with Kildare or playing with their Clubs, so burnout would seem to be an unlikely reason for their unavailability. It would seem that none of us really know anything until the players perhaps make it clear themselves. Either way, they have refused this chance en masse.

Not sure what Kerry have to do with it, when was the last time Kerry had no representative on the Munster Interprovincial side, or refused to field for a reason or other? I can't honestly recall, but you are welcome to tell me if you know? As for other counties, I'll gladly take direction on that too if you feel that way inclined.

But be aware, it won't affect what I'm saying here, which is that the GAA have at last set aside a date, cleared fixtures on that date, given it a high profile venue in Croke Park and aligned themselves with a worth charity. They should still be doing more, of that there is little doubt, but they have had a press day today in Croke Park to launch it, had one of the brightest talents in the GAA there to help (someone who has regularly made himself available to play in this tournament, even last year when he was coming off a long long year himself and facing into another long one). They have made mistakes, sure, but they are trying, and deserve support, not what they got from Kildare.

That is my point and I've yet to hear a good enough reason to change it.

Again, just because you deem something so, does not make it so. I was not outraged, so there was no mock outrage. If you have or had an issue with Tyrone and their apparent treatment of a pre season tournament, well then take it up with someone that cares, for that is not me nor have I given you an inclination that I may be such a person. I can't be any clearer.

Not going to get dragged into that one with you Cormac - you started a thread about the shocking behaviour of one county devaluing the competition etc but said that the players never had. In response, I said Kildare are not the first county to do this and you were making it out to be a big issue.

You started this thread with the following hyperbole
    Another kick in the stones for this fine old tournament. Disgraceful carryon and one you hope Comhairle Laigheann would see fit to dole out punishments
    for.

I wish Giller and the boys all the best regardless, but what a snub
    to gentlemen like Pat, Sean and Mickey

Kerry example was from a quick google to show that Kildare are not the first county to deliver a "kick in the stones" for this fine old tournament. There are I am sure countless other examples of this treatment by other counties.

Its a relic of a tournament from the past - its still at the wrong time in the Calendar, GAA continue to pay lip service to it.

Maybe you are being genuine and care for this fine old tournament but you are kidding yourself if the players and fans do - even within the GAA, Christy Cooney wanted to end it but the traditionalists in the Central Council wanted to keep it going so lip service is being paid to it. The venue and charity element to it are a step in the right direction but the biggest issue is when it is being played and please stop trying to deflect the discussion by throwing examples I have used into it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement