Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy peeing for attention?

• 12-02-2013 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

My 5 month old puppy is toilet trained. Its now over 2 months since he had an accident. However in the last week he peed twice in the house on purpose.

The first incident. He had been out to do his thing about 30 mins before. He was being bold in the house, eating the venitian blinds, I shouted at him NO. he stopped and I ignored him, to show I was not happy. He cried for my attention, which I did not give. Then he just sat down looked at me and started pissing.

Second incident: Last night, I was in the kitchen making food and he wanted to get into me. He was in the sitting room with my girlfriend. (he went toilet about 10 mins previous btw). He was crying at the sitting room door to be let out to me. My GF ignored, he then tried bitting her shoe. She just moved her feet. Didnt give out. Then he just looked up at her and started pissing.

How do I stop this type of behaviour?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ignoring it; anything else is seen as a reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry, but dont dont do things on purpose to annoy their owners, they dont work that way im afraid.

You say he was crying at the door to get out? He obviously wanted to be let out to go to the toilet and when he wasnt he went to the toilet as he needed to go.

Dogs do things like that to intentionally annoy their owners so please try and get that out of your head.

At 5 months, hes still very much a baby and they can go backwards in their training even at that age, so please go a little bit easier on this baby as it sounds like you might be expecting too much from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

androl,

I agree with andreaC dogs dont think like that nor do they do things to annoy their owners, they just dont.

He is only five months, very young and yes the toilet training while going well can revert at times, it can take months and months for the puppy to be 100% toilet trained.

You mentioned the first time he was chewing the blind... maybe he wanted to get out to go to the toilet you mentioned the second time he was crying at the door to be let into see you.... how do you know he wasnt crying to go out to the toilet again? its irrevlant if he went 10 mins earlier... when a puppy has to go he has to go, same as when a child needs to go.

Again it takes along time for a dog to be able to hold it for hours etc.

I think your expecting too much too soon.

Does your dog have any toys to play with?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

agree 100% with the above posters. dogs aint like humans they dont do things like weeing just to annoy us. i would be careful though that u dont make it a big issue as u could make him nervous about toileting. also i would never say a pup is trained as young as 5 months. after all at this age he is still a baby and has still tiny bladder that makes its difficult to hold for lengths of time. if ur worried about his toileting habits go back to the basics and reinforce what he has learned eg put him out when he wakes, when he is after playing, drinking, eating etc. just out of curiosity what breed is he, some dogs are harder than others to train but they all get their in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

cocker5 wrote: »
    androl,

I agree with andreaC dogs dont think like that nor do they do things to annoy their owners, they just dont.

He is only five months, very young and yes the toilet training while going well can revert at times, it can take months and months for the puppy to be 100% toilet trained.

You mentioned the first time he was chewing the blind... maybe he wanted to get out to go to the toilet you mentioned the second time he was crying at the door to be let into see you.... how do you know he wasnt crying to go out to the toilet again? its irrevlant if he went 10 mins earlier... when a puppy has to go he has to go, same as when a child needs to go.

Again it takes along time for a dog to be able to hold it for hours etc.

I think your expecting too much too soon.

Does your dog have any toys to play with?

;)

Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated.

When he needs to go pee he sits on the matt at the door and makes a little whine. He has been doing this everyday without fail for a month.

When he had his previous accidents they were always beside a door.

Both these incidents I mentioned were in the middle of the floor.Before I posted this i did a google search and the info I was reading were similar to the replies here.

With these two incidents, its out of character to previous accidents. And given what occured just before, it really seems like an attention thing.

I do take everyones advice on board. Thanks

• Advertisement

agree 100% with the above posters. dogs aint like humans they dont do things like weeing just to annoy us. i would be careful though that u dont make it a big issue as u could make him nervous about toileting. also i would never say a pup is trained as young as 5 months. after all at this age he is still a baby and has still tiny bladder that makes its difficult to hold for lengths of time. if ur worried about his toileting habits go back to the basics and reinforce what he has learned eg put him out when he wakes, when he is after playing, drinking, eating etc. just out of curiosity what breed is he, some dogs are harder than others to train but they all get their in the end

He is perfect, never a problem with him and I was surprise how quick he got into a routine. Just these two recent incidents that were totally out of character.

Cross between a Bichon Frise and King Charles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd be inclined to say that it could be stress or excitement. He was whining at the door and probably getting more and more worked up until he peed from nervous energy.

Instead of ignoring him, try to distract him with something like a chew to calm him down. And never, ever, ignore them if they're whining at the door. I'd prefer to open it 10 times when they don't need it, because you know that the one time you don't open it is the one time they'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

You already got great advice OP so ill just add that the dog isnt human and so is not peeing to get attention. Thats not how they work. They arent as devious as their human masters.

Thanks for all the replies, glad to know that he wasnt doing this to get attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Personally I wouldn't leave a dog inside and unsupervised until it's at least six months old or even a year old. Supervised, as in it's right in front of me and I'm playing with it and training it, or it's in it's cage. Generally I don't even give them free run of the house until they're almost two. It's very easy in the beginning for young dogs to try new things (like eat blinds). Also it's common for dogs of several months old who are already basically toilet trained to have accidents. They can revert rather easily. It could be something they ate, or they got a little bit of a bug or something. Theirs lots of reasons. But if it was me in your shoes I'd start putting the dog into his crate for a while when you can't keep your eyes pinned on him. Let him out for a while, take him out to pee, when he pee's repeated the words "go pee go pee go pee" or "go toilet" or whatever you want when he starts to pee until he stops, then say "good pee yaay" like he just did something amazingly joyous and give him treats and start to play with him. It won't take long until he associates the words "go pee" with oh I need to pee now (and after I pee I get treats/praise/play time). You can make him pee on command outside them back inside again, take him out once every hour and say go pee again. He'll get back into the habit of peeing outside. Personally every night before bed I just open the front door tell my dog "outside" then he goes outside and looks at me to say "what do you want, it's dark and cold out here" then I say "go pee" he makes a kinda huff noise then goes and stands in the grass in the same spot every time and pees for a few good long seconds, then I say good pee! and give him a couple of biscuits and put him to bed. Basically it's a ritual, everything with dogs is a ritual. The same consistent thing over and over. Oh last thing, another trick for crate training is put them in their crate, let them out to pee, if they don't pee put them back in the crate again.

• Advertisement

In the month since my original post, I can hands down 100% say. My dog pee's for attention or when he isnt getting his own way.

Thanks for all the feedback :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Well, in that case you know what to do. NO attention for peeing somewhere inappropriate, don't say a thing, just clean it up; he's seeing any attention, even being told off, as Getting Attention, instead separate him for a few minutes if you see him pee inside, but don't say a word to him. Keep taking him out into the garden regularly and make sure he gets all the good attention when he goes out there.

Advertisement