Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Scan - is this treatment/care normal?

Options
  • 12-02-2013 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I was just wondering what the general rule of thumb is for the 1st scan around the 12 weeks mark as my wife had hers last week and I have to so we were both somewhat underwhelmed by the care we got. She is booked in semi private and while I didn't expect a consultant to be in attendance necessarily I was somewhat shocked by the care she received. Perhaps this being our first child we are expecting too much but I'll give you a quick run down on what happened to see if this is the general experience everyone has.

1. When we arrived - her weight was taken in a corridor in front of other expectant mothers and called out aloud - didn't really bother me - then her bloods were called out - again nothing really big but surely weight etc are private matters and don't need to be broadcast to everyone waiting - just a small issue but a surprise none the less. If someone had a disease or severe illness I would hope there would be some confidentiality

2. so this being the 1st time we'd see our child we were a bundle of nerves and my wife and I had thousands of questions - so in we go and the doctor doesn't introduce herself at all - she just confirms my wifes name - doesn't ask how the pregnancy is going etc - she just asks my wife when is the due date - and she explains based on the last period date bla bla but we hoped that she the doctor could give us a more accuarate reading based on the scan - she says nothing! - so she beings the scan - invites me to look- takes two pictures - says everything is fine and hands me the two pics - my wife gets dressed and is about to start asking her a few questions - this is our first time so its all new when the doctor cuts across and says ok go out to reception and book that 20 week scan and go see your own doctor in three weeks and starts to walk out the door - I said excuse me what is the process here and she says sorry that's it - book the next scan and she walks out the door! My wife was upset as she wasn't able to ask any questions at all re the scan etc - is this normal??

we haven't really broadcast the fact that she is pregnant yet (bar parents and siblings knowing) so my wife is unable to ask friends who have had kids so I was wondering is this the level of care you get at the 12 week scan and in the future! - i appreciate that patient numbers are high but surely you get more than 5 mins and are able to put some questions to the doctor to put your mind at ease? are we expecting too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

That sounds normal for semi private. TBH a lot of people refer to semi private as semi public, you're not getting a lot extra for what you pay. It can seem a bit of an in and out job but the doctors are there to check everything is ok with mum. You'll get a detailed scan at about 20 weeks, and this will also determine the due date, sometimes it can be out a week or two. All they are going to check at a mini scan is the heartbeat so they know the pregnancy is viable. If mum's weight, bloods, blood pressure are normal, there's no cause for concern.

I went and am going private and my appointments were never very long, until some issues presented at a 34 week scan and after that I spent a lot more time with the doctor. What kind of questions did you and you wife have, I might be able to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Sounds about right to me. I know its a very special moment for you and your wife but for them it's just another day at work. We were disappointed after.our first scan as well. We went and paid for a private 3d scan and it was worth every cent. Your man spent over an hour showing us baby, all his bits, explained what we were seeing, answered loads of questions and we got about 80 pictures and a DVD of the scan. Unfortunately the hospitals just can't handle the amount of people coming through- doesn't make it ok though!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

At our first scan (public) the nurse doing the scan took her time and showed us the babies (maybe cos they were twins she took more time?) and gave us a ton of pictures. But when we finally got to see doc, he never even looked at me, just wrote in the chart, got a student to take my bp and sent me off with an appt for scan at 32 weeks. Luckily the nurse who did scan had said we'd be seen more frequently due to having twins so I went back and checked with midwife and she spoke to doc and it turned out he had never looked at my scan!! I had to see him again and he had to talk to consultant re meds etc. There are just way too many patients and clearly not enough docs to cope. We are now going private. Best decision ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

What hospital was it OP. I am public in the Rotunda and though my scan was a short one, I was treated well by the staff . It was a long few hours but the doctor showed me the baby, joked about it being so active and made sure there were good pics for my partner who could not make it.

One thing that is important to remember, most doctors are overworked and in a lot of cases just don't care. You have to nearly demand answers from some of them, others are lovely and it sounds like you got a horrible bítch! I can only imagine you were both peeved to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jump

Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised that everyone seems to have the same story to tell. If this is how semi private people are treated what is the level of "care" for public patients! What are you paying the SP fees for?

I'd love to be able to go private but just don't have the money for the fees - would love to but didn't expect such poor treatment given the semi private fees etc.

I appreciate that there are large volumes but basic manners in introducing yourself and allowing the patient time to ask a few questions surely isn't too much to expect.

I just want my wife to have as little stress and upset in the coming months as possible which I know everyone wants - I think Irish people in general are too accepting of poor treatment be it from the health service or even in a restaurant and need to stand up for themselves more but then you get tarred as being a trouble maker. However when it comes to this time in your life people have enough worries and stress that I think that they deserve some respectful treatment even if they can't stump up the €4k fees etc - ok rant over

We might try and look into doing that 3D scan - is it done in conjuntion with the hospital or completely privately? Many places around Dublin do it?

Thank J

• Advertisement

Baby scan.ie is worth checking out. We had very good experiences there. I wouldn't have bothered with sp to be honest, too late now, but its not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Jump wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised that everyone seems to have the same story to tell. If this is how semi private people are treated what is the level of "care" for public patients! What are you paying the SP fees for?

I just want my wife to have as little stress and upset in the coming months as possible which I know everyone wants - I think Irish people in general are too accepting of poor treatment be it from the health service or even in a restaurant and need to stand up for themselves more but then you get tarred as being a trouble maker. However when it comes to this time in your life people have enough worries and stress that I think that they deserve some respectful treatment even if they can't stump up the €4k fees etc - ok rant over

I am a public patient with Holles Street and genuinely couldn't be happier with the care and could certainly never see myself going private in the future.

Initally I met with the midwife at 14weeks and spent a good 40minutes with her going through family history and taking bloods etc. I have since had 3 hospital appointments and have been very happy each time. I got there early was out within a half hour. The consultant has always been happy to answer any questions and has not rushed us out the door.... he has done a mini scan each time and shown us the hb. Before meeting the consultant you meet the midwife and she weighs you and speaks with you in a very public room but never once has she shouted my weight out, she writes it down so I would be with you there and v angry if she did!

The above is just to give you an example of care within the public system. As you say basic manners and introducing themselves should be a given whether you are paying for care or not.

The private scans you definitely get more out of. We went to the fetal merrion clinic (just off holles street) in the first trimester as Holles Street don't scan you until between 20-22 weeks. Was worth every penny for reassurance. 3D scans I dont think are recommended until later in the pregnancy as you don't see much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Lots of places do private scans - it's done completely independently of the hospital. What hospital are you going to? We went to the Orwell clinic in Rathgar and there's a place in Blackrock too but I can't remember the name.

We're going public in the NMH, they don't do official 12 week scans but at our 12 week appointment we did get a little one from the machine in the room and a lot of attention from the midwife. We had our 20 week scan last week and they were great. We were in there for a good while, lots of reassurance and time given to us and we got loads of pics. We were thinking of getting a 3D scan soon but we've decided there's no need, we were really happy with our scan appointment. Like Digs we also couldn't be happier with the care.

Was in there this morning for an antenatal appointment and was only waiting 45 minutes. We're really happy with the care so far, especially as I've been sick and have been in there an extra few times. Definitely glad we didn't pay to go semi-private (or private) as we did consider it.

I did only see the doctor for abour 4 minutes today though which was pretty quick! We did get a mini scan though and had baby turning over pointed out to us. I'm happy to be in and out quick beacuse it means everything is going well :) I've opted for midwife led care from now on as I've been told you get a lot more attention etc. I'm not sure if you can do this if you're semi-private though.

Tbh, I think it can depend a lot on what staff member you get on the day. Some of the probably don't like their jobs very much and have forgotten that this is an exciting time for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Also, can't believe they shouted her weight out! That's not on. In Holles Street the midwife does check your weight but behind a little screen and says nothing to you about it, just jots it down in your chart. I would not be happy with anything about me being shouted out. Again though, maybe if you got a midwife that wasn't so discreet it could easily happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

3d scans are independent from the hospital! I was public in limerick. I personally don't think private or semi private is worth the money unless there are issues in the pregnancy. The only difference that I've seen is a few more scans, and the possibility of a private room which you might not get if all the rooms are occupied. Any issue I had while pregnant was addressed and me and the baby were well taken care of, there was not much time for questions though, I got those answered here on boards or with friends and family who had children. That's just my personal experience though!

• Advertisement

Private care was worth the money for us. I needed to stay for five nights post section and I wouldn't have lasted on a public ward. I hate sharing, so shared bathroom and rooms weren't for me. As fewer people are going private you're likely to get a room. I also found the continuity of care and attention post birth, especially for breastfeeding, better than friends who went public. I'm going private again, mainly so I'll get my own room, and because I wanted a specific consultant. The public system wouldn't have been for me and luckily we had the money to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

Im public & had my 1st appointment last week,we were seen by the consultant first she asked loads of questions went through all family/medical history,she tested my urine,done my blood pressure,felt my tummy & listed to my heart & lungs. Also went through my blood results. Then seen a midwife who just asked a few questions & checked my weight & height. Next had my scan wasn't in there long but got to see baby & she pointed out babys head & baby moving. I had to ask did my dates match up which they did,was told to come back in 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We are going public again. I had my booking appointment with the midwife clinic. It didn't take that long this time as they had all my info from before. A week later we had the dating scan. We were probably only in there for 15/20 minutes but the sonographer was lovely and showed us the little baba from different angles and gave us a few pictures.

The booking appointment was done in a private room on both ocassions.

That's the Coombe btw.

I think your experience is quite unfortunate and definitely not reflective of the antenatal care in general irrespective of public, semi-private or private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We were public in the CUMH and could not be happier with the scans or appointments. They took their time and answered our questions. And my weight was certainly not roared across a corridor. Jesus, I'd be livid.

What cattleshed/hospital were you in?

It's certainly not the norm in Cork.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I went public and was very happy with the care I received. Because of a pre-existing (minor) endocrine issue I was under a consultant and a professor and had many more appointments than the norm.

I think that its not a given now to get the 12 week dating scan - most hospitals are phasing it out due to budget cuts. Certainly the norm in the hospital I attended you got one scan - the 20 week one, but due to my issue I was given one at 11 weeks, 21 weeks, and 2 more in the last trimester due to fluid measuring. But for other healthy women the first scan they got was the "big scan" at 20 weeks.

Weight, Bloods, Urine and Blood pressure were all done in a communal room where a few pregnant women were called in at a time.

I think the customer care was better in the hospital I was in because it was a teaching hospital so they would ask me questions, then quiz the med student/ student nurse on it, and likewise if I asked anything, they would quiz the student then clarify. They would also explain as they went along to the student what they were examining and why. It was great really because everything got explained twice - which was a bonus during labour when you dont really catch what they are saying the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Expecting The Unexpected

I am semi private in the Coombe and cud not fault it. My first booking apt was with the midwives and I spent 45 mins talking about my family history and asking my list if questions. Got bloods, urine weight etc and didn't Q once. Had my 12 week scan then and while I was there for 15 mins the sonographer was helpful. 2 weeks after this I had my 1st consultants apt and spent 30 mins wih her and did not Q. Every apt wih my consultants had a scan and spent as little or as much times required with her. On one occasion I waited for an hour to see her but there was an emergency so I didn't mind.

I wud say your experience is not right and I would mention it at yor next apt.

Apologies for spelling. On phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

First of all, It was more likely a sonographer who was brash with you rather than a doctor. I don't think I met a doctor at my 12 week appt. I agree with other posters that it doesn't seem like off the wall behaviours but I also agree that some some of the bedside manner I've encountered leaves a lot to be desired. We had a horrible sonographer on our 12 wk scan. I nearly died when we went back for our 20wk scan and there was was again!!! Anyways second time, she spent ages showing us everything in the scan and gave us 7 pics to take away. I can only assume we got her on a bad day the first time around.

I hope your experiences improve as they go on. And congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

The sonographer for our first scan was extremely brusque aswell. She even requested that I stop speaking as she was trying to do something.

For our second scan we had the opposite experience. The sonographer
    (different lady) was lovely and had no end of time for us. She explained loads and let us ask questions and showed us the baby from all angles.

She even showed us charts on the screen that displayed the healthy range for babies and where our baby was within the various ranges (smack bang in the middle :-) )

Hopefully your wife and you will have a similar second experience. Theres a lot more to see at the next scan aswell because the baby will be more developed. For us it could well have helped that our second scan was in the evening instead of the morning, so it could have simply been a case of the sonographer having more time and not being rushed.

Good luck and congratulations on the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One or two pictures and "everything is fine" is usually typical for the mini scans, though certainly you'd expect the registrar (that's who does the mini-scans in the Rotunda anyway) to at least talk to you a bit and give you some advice.

At our 12 week scan the registrar couldn't have been nicer, she knew it was our first scan, took her time over it, showed the tiny heart beat, etc.

At the next mini scan we had a guy who seemed like he wanted to be anywhere else in the world. Practically no conversation from him, almost throwing the stuff at us when handing it back, barely even any eye contact. Left a sour taste in our mouth, but as the registrars appear to be on some kind of rotation in the semi-private clinic we didn't see him again until near the end. The rest of them were just as nice as the first, and the sonographer for the big scan was definitely more clinical but she was still perfectly chatty and nice.

Luck of the draw I reckon. Don't be afraid to make a fuss. My wife was seething after our encounter with the lazy guy and wrote a scathing letter to the master of the rotunda. When we saw the guy again he knew it was us and while he wasn't suddenly a nice guy, he was clearly making an effort to treat us like human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

we've just had our 4th child and none off our scans have been anything like what you describe. We dont have health insurance and our care was public, most scans in carndonagh hospital.
    all tests/checks were very privet .The staff were all very informative and discussed any concerns we had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

We had a private scan at 8 weeks, which was really great. Very private, answered all our questions, loads of pics -> highly recommend.

Am public in Rotunda. The 12 week scan was very brief with the doc - I didn't actually get to even see it as the monitor was behind my head as I lay on the table. He literally just checked the medical bits, and sent us on our way.

The 20 week scan in the Rotunda was amazing. Separate ultrasound section in the hospital (the 12 week scan was just in the outpatients iirc), dedicated technician, we were there for around an hour, and got loads of pics and questions answered.

I'm 30 weeks now and I guess the next scan I'll see will be the 3D one that I'm holding in my arms!! Hopefully anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Myself and my wife recently went for our first scan (at 15 weeks). The hospital was the Midland Regional Hospital in Mullingar. It being our first I didn't know what to expect and initially I was a little put out. There were loads of people there and it was kinda like a cattle mart at times. The hospital has a good system in relation to calling the mothers-to-be in for BP, Height, Weight, Urine measurements... then you head off to a different part for the Blood Tests and then a different part for the chat with the Midwife. There is a very long questionnaire that you fill out with the Midwife (which she says has only come into place at the hospital in the last few months). It's very, very detailed which is great. Took only a few mins to fill out and the Midwife was really nice. This was the first part of the process that I was included in. Kinda felt like a spare wheel to that point, but was glad to be there all the same.

After that it was back to the waiting area and wainting for the Doc to call us in. Only waiting a matter of minutes and in with the Doc. Initially he didn't look up from the notes but once he had a quick read over them he was all chats. Very laid back which suited both our styles. He asked a few questions and was quite supportive (in that he didn't warn us off) of our choice for Home-birth. He then did the scan which we both could see, did the measurements and then gave us the photo of the baby. He then went through any questions we had and that it was still important to be booked into the hospital in case there were complications with the birth but we did not need to come back for second scan. If my wife goes to 41 weeks then we will have another one, but apart from that he said there is no need.

Both of us would have no problem in going back to the Hospital if we had any concerns... all the staff were very nice and supportive. They really make you feel at ease. Even though it looks very, very busy they have it running like a well-oiled machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary1978

Also went public in the coombe and was really impressed by level of care. both scans with the radiographers were very informative with plenty of time for questions and the midwife clinic was great and i never felt rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

We we went public in mayo general and could not fault any of my 42 weeks in their care. From my 12 week scan right through to induction and delivery they were a pleasure to deal with.

I'm shocked so many people have had such bad experiences for their scans :(

Se were a good half hour with our sonographer (helen I think). Got about ten pics. Then I went for tests and she had more pics that she dropped out to partner shook his hand and congratulated him aNd wished us both all the best. Very lovely lady

Advertisement