Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players who "embody" the club - Gone?

• 12-02-2013 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Most clubs have one or two lads who are the "embodyment of the club on the pitch". Carragher and Gerrard for Liverpool, Terry for Chelsea, Scholes and Giggs for United, Puyol for Barca even.

Is the era of this kind of player gone? I can't really think of anyone younger at these clubs who is going to take up the mantle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3Rs-ZW2RqCzm1gyyK1Nha8z63Zgx93VyKDhxnk7-e_4sUoy7z0A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Most clubs have one or two lads who are the "embodyment of the club on the pitch". Carragher and Gerrard for Liverpool, Terry for Chelsea, Scholes and Giggs for United, Puyol for Barca even.

Is the era of this kind of player gone? I can't really think of anyone younger at these clubs who is going to take up the mantle.

I think the likes of Fabregas and Pique, despite time away from Barcelona early in their careers, would fall into this camp. If Cleverley progresses and becomes a fixture in the United team I would look at him in a similar light too. Shelvey strikes me as a character at liverpool who has the sort of temperament that could see him becoming one of those sort of cult figures despite not being a strictly homegrown player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

keano_afc wrote: »

Injury prone and over rated? Yup - that is the embodiment of Arsenal alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Casillas at Real Madrid is another.

Javier Zanetti is another (although he is not a one club man, or Italian, he is now part of the furniture at Inter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

gimmick wrote: »

Is Dan Murray FORAS's ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is Dan Murray FORAS's ?

Nope - George O Callaghan. He comes and he goes, but every remembers him and opponents are obsessed by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Dont know whether to laugh or cry. No, I do. I'm going to laugh. You're right though, he's no Tom Cleverley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

It's no conscience that most of the player names who get thrown about as ''embodying'' a club or cast as being a ''one club man'' are all players who play for the big teams.

The last player I remember who ''embodied'' a club was Matt Le Tissier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Totti at Roma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Marchisio - Juventus
    De Rossi - Roma
    Schweinsteiger - Bayern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

JT is our only one, a case can made for Lampard given what hes given to the club over the last 12 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Xavi Hernandez, all that Barcelona stand for embodied before you. Cesc Fabregas, Gerard Piqué and Sergio Busquets may well take that mantle in years to come.

Casillas and Sergio Ramos are perfect embodiments of Real Madrid.

David Albelda for Valencia is another good example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

keano_afc wrote: »

Skillful player who will play for a number of years at Arsenal, win nothing, and sold on for a tidy profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm hoping Vicente Guaita or Paco Alcacer will be the next Albelda-type figures at Valencia. They both have the potential to be amazing players- hopefully the debt is now mitigated enough that they don't need to be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Is it only for a one club player? If not there are fair few who are from other clubs but looked home at current club (sort of like Cantona).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ah, Cantona certainly embodied United. No question.

the whole "We'll do what we want" and "Not arrogant just better" stuff. To a Tee really.

I find it bizarre how serious people are on here sometimes. If someone asked this question to a bunch of people in real life and someone started joking that Wilshere was injury prone and going to win nothing, people would laugh it off. Here though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sacramento wrote: »
    I find it bizarre how serious people are on here sometimes. If someone asked this question to a bunch of people in real life and someone started joking that Wilshere was injury prone and going to win nothing, people would laugh it off. Here though....

They said he was over rated and injury prone, which is nonsense really. One long term injury btw, one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ronaldo at Real Madrid! (flashy and rich)

Antonio di Natale must be one! A great player for Udinese who could have put in for a big transfer any number of times, seems to be a genuinely decent fella

udinese_catania_esultanza_di_natale.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Forgot about Maradona and the city of Napoli.

Both mad, exciting, and dangerous!
    They were the perfect fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

He came back from a very serious injury like it was nothing and at his age is already a fantastic player, hes the next scholes/lampard/gerrard for englands midfield imo. Weather arsenal hold onto him is another thing, think hes said before he never wants to leave. I think its a fair suggestion

AdamD wrote: »

They said he was over rated and injury prone, which is nonsense really. One long term injury btw, one.

Yeah I know what they said! It's clearly a wind up though, just laugh it off like. It's like a forum mentality or something, people don't react like this in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

klose wrote: »
    He came back from a very serious injury like it was nothing and at his age is already a fantastic player, hes the next scholes/lampard/gerrard for englands midfield imo. Weatherarsenal hold onto him is another thing, think hes said before he never wants to leave. I think its a fair suggestion

Yup, stormy and turbulent times ahead indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Forgot about Maradona and the city of Napoli.

Both mad, exciting, and dangerous!
    They were the perfect fit.

I think this is a great example, but a lot of the others above are just players who have played at a club their whole career, which isn't quite the same thing.

Xavi and Casillas are good shouts. Xavi is Catalan and his whole game is based around the way Barca play. Casillas is from Madrid and has that 'we are the gentlemen of football, everybody loves us' approach that is very typical of Real Madrid.

Lol at Ramos, if you told a Madrid shareholder that someone from gypsy heritage and Sevilla embodies their club they would cry.

Carragher is a very good one, and Maldini would have been too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Sacramento wrote: »

Yeah I know what they said! It's clearly a wind up though, just laugh it off like. It's like a forum mentality or something, people don't react like this in real life.

I guess a big thing is that you can't hear the tone of it so you don't know if people actually believe it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Micah Richards would be the one for City and the club are very proud of his development over the past decade, so much so that there's a bit of shrine to him at the Etihad documenting the various stages of his development -

541890_10152397631485347_568136940_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

On recent evidence I'm feeling a lot of bromance for Cleverly at United.

When a goal is scored he goes mental, and he is just outrageously industrious in the midfield and looks to give it his all. His tenacity for me is at present a pretty good embodiment of the club, and I have to say I was a doubter of his towards the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Aston Villa..... constantly touted as a sleeping giant.... venerable position in English football history.... born in the bleakest, greyest and most miserable City in the country..... a generational inability to move off-the-ball.....

giant.... venerable.... grey..... slow movement....

A grey LDV van is pretty much all I can come up with:

ldv-convoy-minibus-diesel_7751063.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

This fella has been with Northampton twice, played over 150 times and nearly averages a goal every other game.

AdebayoAkinfenwaNorthamptonTownvTottenhamC8StEKWaoyml_zps85fe9c7b.jpg

Before him there was Ian Sampson, he played nearly 400 games and managed them for 2 years. Not many like him any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Long since retired but Steve Bull was the essence of Wolverhampton Wanderers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

While completely true, saying Terry embodies Chelsea is a hilarious insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

3410.jpg

Ledley King (not sure who the gawky lad beside him is :p)

Only one club, 1999-2012. Retired last year due to chronic knee injuries, the start of which he believes he suffered on his debut.

Henry said he was the best centre-half he ever faced. He only received eight yellows in his whole career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

dooferoaks wrote: »
    This fella has been with Northampton twice, played over 150 times and nearly averages a goal every other game.

AdebayoAkinfenwaNorthamptonTownvTottenhamC8StEKWaoyml_zps85fe9c7b.jpg

Before him there was Ian Sampson, he played nearly 400 games and managed them for 2 years. Not many like him any more.

The size of that man's upper body is ridiculous!

Neil Lennon for Celtic I'd say is a decent one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

[IMG][/img]images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRC4XKGJkqXH3TniVyhOOZpV-90-Ezk2PTXhCmUV40OGc_ZknKB

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD6bPgKv47Th6lVuBPF5YL8UecgQdlEyBfxPPL2CjBwgFFgeVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Michael Zorc, Borussia Dortmund. Always played for the club, now sporting director (or sporting manager, not sure about the correct translation)

Or Lars Ricken, even if he is not so high ranked in the club's backroom staff, youth scout, I think.

Those two guys never left their home town, even if they retired from their active duties :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

gary neville -man utd
    paolo maldini -ac milan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

eh i dunno wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRC4XKGJkqXH3TniVyhOOZpV-90-Ezk2PTXhCmUV40OGc_ZknKB

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD6bPgKv47Th6lVuBPF5YL8UecgQdlEyBfxPPL2CjBwgFFgeVE

tim_cahill-celebra_1205450c.jpg

I would have went with this lad :cool:

Didn't cost much money, was a pain in the hole for the opposition defences and dispite his lack of skill he never gave up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

have to lol at wilshere being overrated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Obviously Milan have traditionally always had one or two players who've been part of the furniture for years whether they came from the youth teams like Maldini or were brought in when they were young like Costacurta. Right now there is Abbiati and Ambrosini who've been at the club for over 20 years each already and then the likes of Abate and Antonelli who've been at Milan their whole careers so far (besides loan spells away). Milan are known as having a real "family" feeling about the squad because there is always players who've been Milan from their childhood there to take people in and make them feel at home.

Hopefully the youth products like De Sciglio and young signings like SES, Niang, Balotelli and Gabriel can stay at the club for the next decade + and become part of the history of Milan being a "family" club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

nuxxx wrote: »
    have to lol at wilshere being overrated

Have to lol even more at people getting all agitated at a bit of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Yes, I'm very agitated :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Injury prone

Hows that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Someone said Wilshere was injury prone in another thread recently (not jokingly).

It seems that for some people, injury prone means 'has had an injury at some point in their career'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

article-2110020-12067983000005DC-459_634x417.jpg

This man.

Jesus Navas(Sevilla) and Angelo Palombo(Sampdoria) some lesser known examples but definitely apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Raul at real was one of the biggest ones. Even amongst all the superstars real were buying he was always their favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Digger for us. A great man.

PaoloMaldini.jpg

1985–2009 Paulo Maldini with Milan, won everything he possibly could at club level. Loved his attitude and leadership as a player, great example of how a footballer should be while playing for one of the greatest clubs in Europe. Rolls-Royce defender

In England I loved Le Tisser, could have left Southampton numerous times but stayed with them. What he could have acheived if he was in the modern era when fitness etc is paramount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

As an Arsenal fan I'd have to say Dennis Bergkamp. I'm a bit too young to remember the George Graham era (when Tony Adams probably would have been that player) but from what I can tell, if there is one player who embodies the transition Arsenal made from a big, physical team to one based around passing and skill, it is him. Universally adored by fans to this day (including Jack Wilshire, who cites him as his hero), I think he embodies the club more so than Henry, Vieira, or any of the other modern greats who have worn the shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Keane for UTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

carlop wrote: »

I think this is a great example, but a lot of the others above are just players who have played at a club their whole career, which isn't quite the same thing.

Xavi and Casillas are good shouts. Xavi is Catalan and his whole game is based around the way Barca play. Casillas is from Madrid and has that 'we are the gentlemen of football, everybody loves us' approach that is very typical of Real Madrid.

Lol at Ramos, if you told a Madrid shareholder that someone from gypsy heritage and Sevilla embodies their club they would cry.

Carragher is a very good one, and Maldini would have been too.

Ramos has been at the club since he was a teenager, heart, leadership, determination and the pride he shows for playing for both club and country certainly represents Real Madrid IMO.

Btw after a bit of research it turns out Ramos isn't a gypsy. It's simply a nickname given to him because of his love of Flamenco music.

• Advertisement
Advertisement