Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players who "embody" the club - Gone?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Ramos has been at the club since he was a teenager, heart, leadership, determination and the pride he shows for playing for both club and country certainly represents Real Madrid IMO.

Btw after a bit of research it turns out Ramos isn't a gypsy. It's simply a nickname given to him because of his love of Flamenco music.

And when the Ultras Sur chant abusive songs about people from Seville is he the embodiment of the club then?

It's like saying Rooney is the embodiment of Man United.

Real Madrid pride themselves on being the gentlemen of football, and they like to think that they have this image around the world. A lot of fans never took to Mourinho because they felt he was too rude and sullied the image of the club.

Ramos is a great player and I agree on all the points you make about heart, leadership etc., I just don't think he embodies the Spainsh upper middle-class tradition that I would associate with Real Madrid.

My bad on the gypsy thing, I'd always heard people saying it but never actually checked it up myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

At Arsenal there was plenty up until recent years, the likes of Keown, Bergkamp, Adams, Bould, Winterburn, Dixon, Parlour, Wright and even Brady who as a player left to go to Juventus came back and became a huge part of Arsenal all players who could be said to embody the club.

Del Piero, Buffon, Nedved could have been said for at Juventus.

Javier Zanetti at Inter Milan is another.

Baresi at Milan

Iniesta at Barcelona.

Also given the amount of young English players signed up by Arsenal this season there is a great hope amongst fans that these players will go on to embody the club in the future, Jenkinson being a season ticket holder up until the day he signed and coming from a family of Arsenal fans, along with Wilshere who is through and through Arsenal does give a lot of hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Francesco Totti

Totti.jpg&w=1067&h=1600&ei=Rr0bUaDINonOhAe8g4GgDQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:0,s:0,i:145&iact=rc&dur=145&sig=107508874886484245497&page=1&tbnh=189&tbnw=125&start=0&ndsp=37&tx=43&ty=89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

markesmith wrote: »

Ledley King (not sure who the gawky lad beside him is :p)

Only one club, 1999-2012. Retired last year due to chronic knee injuries, the start of which he believes he suffered on his debut.

Henry said he was the best centre-half he ever faced. He only received eight yellows in his whole career.
    That's because of injury he only played about 30 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Raul at real was one of the biggest ones. Even amongst all the superstars real were buying he was always their favourite

Yet I still don't understand, why he joined Sch****, who are not able to win the league :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Is Dan Murray FORAS's ?
    gimmick wrote: »
    Nope - George O Callaghan. He comes and he goes, but every remembers him and opponents are obsessed by him.

For me its Dan. He turns like the Titanic but even in Europe he was rock solid nothing got past him.

GOC flattered to decieve. Ruined his own career. I remember when he appeared in that Irish/Munster rip-off of Hello. Head in Hands time.

Jeepers when you you think of all the players we have had and have its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Steve Harper, Steven Taylor and of course Shola Ameobi at Newcastle. Ameobi is somehow still there despite the fact most fans despise him for nothing other than being an awful footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Buffon for Juve is a good call. Didn't leave after they were demoted when he could have. Always offers coming in for him but he's happy with life in Turin.
    Steve Harper, Steven Taylor and of course Shola Ameobi at Newcastle. Ameobi is somehow still there despite the fact most fans despise him for nothing other than being an awful footballer
    Doesn't he always score against Sunderland, so the fans actually dont mind him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

article-0-00005D9900000258-759_468x284.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Cienciano wrote: »
    Buffon for Juve is a good call. Didn't leave after they were demoted when he could have. Always offers coming in for him but he's happy with life in Turin.

Doesn't he always score against Sunderland, so the fans actually dont mind him?
    Go onto Newcastle fan forums and you'll see they hate him

gimmick wrote: »
    Injury prone and over rated? Yup - that is the embodiment of Arsenal alright.

Absolute horsesh*te, he's a top class player who will only get better. He gets injured because teams fear his influence so much they have him tagged for 'special treatment'

In England I loved Le Tisser, could have left Southampton numerous times but stayed with them. What he could have acheived if he was in the modern era when fitness etc is paramount.

MLT was indeed a fine footballer...not so sure it was all about the loyalty though. I dont think Le Tiss would have got away with scoffing Mars bars at one of the bigger clubs. At Southampton he was class enough to help them achieve their annual objective of staying in the top flight so they turned a blind eye to his partialities

markesmith wrote: »
    Ledley King (not sure who the gawky lad beside him is :p)

Only one club, 1999-2012. Retired last year due to chronic knee injuries, the start of which he believes he suffered on his debut.

Henry said he was the best centre-half he ever faced. He only received eight yellows in his whole career.

Ledley King was a good tough clean centre half but the fact he stayed at the one club is because no one else would have taken him on with his injury record suppose he was even another Paul McGrath. I dont think he would have left even if he was fit and he was 100% committed to the cause each game

A few oldies for you.

Trevor Brooking and Bobby Moore for West Ham
    Derek Dougan for Wolves
    David O'Leary for Arsenal
    Ron 'Chopper' Harris for Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Michael Zorc, Borussia Dortmund. Always played for the club, now sporting director (or sporting manager, not sure about the correct translation)

Or Lars Ricken, even if he is not so high ranked in the club's backroom staff, youth scout, I think.

Those two guys never left their home town, even if they retired from their active duties :)

thats impressive. i really liked that 97 team. the two lads came off the bench in the final v Juve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

AdamD wrote: »
    They said he was over rated and injury prone, which is nonsense really. One long term injury btw, one.

And he's very faithful to his club and family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its hard to have one these days. Most of those being suggested here played for top clubs with the best wages which really proves nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

thats impressive. i really liked that 97 team. the two lads came off the bench in the final v Juve

I think Lars Ricken's goal is still the fastest goal by a sub in the Championsleague. It took him 17 seconds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

back in the day, Bremner at Leeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Dennis Wise and Gianfranco Zola at Chelsea

Roy Keane at United

Alan Shearer at Newcastle

Maradona at Napoli

Lothar Matthaus at Bayern

Zanetti at Inter

Messi at Barca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

At St Pats we dotn keep our best players for long, not an issue but how it works is:

We sign player with "issues" from scrapheap in england or fcuked out of another irish club.
    They perform superbly for us and go on to better things.
    We love them for it.

isnt the same as OH but the OH is about players playing for the best clubs in the world for most of their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Jesus Navas(Sevilla) and Angelo Palombo(Sampdoria) some lesser known examples but definitely apply.

This is only really because he is the most homesick footballer there has ever been, but of course he still counts :D

Lloyd Doyley for Watford must be one, took him something like 250 games to score his first goal, still better than Tony Hibbert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Bastian Schweinsteiger - Bayern Munich.
    You can even say Lahm. Exceptional players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

This guy:

114930093__347579c.jpg

Likely to remain at the club for the rest of his career.
    Amazing achievement playing for so long, even after being shot by a sniper years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

To me a player that embodies a club has been with that club for most/all of his career.

Therefore ... Giggs, Scholes

As a newcastle supporter i agree with the mentions of steven taylor but not shearer or harper. Never sat well with me that harper was 'happy' to be second to given and get paid to sit on the bench year after year.
    Shearers arrival and him getting ferdinands 9 shirt upset a lot of members of yhat squad and rumour has it that later in his newcastle career he had players he wanted in the team no matter what

I do think gary speed deserves a mention here, i think he embodied the spirit of football no matter what club he was at,
    Truely loved at every club he was at, gave his all on the pitch each time he crossed the proverbial white line.

As for shola, .... My favorite player for 2 games each season ;)

Advertisement