Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James Bulger, 20 years ago today...

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

AlekSmart wrote: »

There's an interesting article on the thoughts of the Defending Solictor here.....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/james-bulger-murder-20-years-1594811

What particularly caught my attention were these quotes....

Also from here...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9849563/Jon-Venables-lawyer-believed-10-year-old-was-innocent.html

So which is to be....?

I ain't a hard man or anything like the sort but I usually don't cry when see these types of stories even though I always pause to pay respects and what else but I shed a tear after reading that.

Poor poor kid.

RIP nobody can hurt you now.

We have a generation of children growing up like that now known as the Celtic Tiger cubs.

Dont talk to me about them muppets. Inspired by their parents love and vindicated by jersey shore these retards are here to stay

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Really hard to believe it was 20 years ago! I was a fresher in college back in 1993.:o

It was a very sad case and brought up the issue of child killers as the boys who murdered Jamie were only 10 years of age themselves. It also showed the new power of CCTV because without those haunting images of Jamie being taken by Thompson and Venables, the crime may never have been solved.

At the time of the killing and subsequent court case the tabloids screamed that this was an example of how British society was collapsing but it is telling that in the intervening 20 years since there has not been a repeat of the Jamie Bulger tragedy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Dont talk to me about them muppets. Inspired by their parents love and vindicated by jersey shore these retards are here to stay
    There is a lack of values and respect for people and property within the current generation of youth which is sad to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

There is a lack of values and respect for people and property within the current generation of youth which is sad to see.

There is no moral compass with young people today. They lack empathy and remorse with any wrong doing.

Jesus I sound like a 70 year old, I'm only 34.

There is no moral compass with young people today. They lack empathy and remorse with any wrong doing.

I am only five years older and feel the same way.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Maybe you should alter your posts to say 'some' young people rather than tarring us all with the same brush!

And there are certainly older people who are in that very same category too.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Maybe you should alter your posts to say 'some' young people rather than tarring us all with the same brush!

And there are certainly older people who are in that very same category too.
    You make a good point and yes i should not have made such a sweeping generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's a fascinating case for a person with an interest in the criminal mind. A child who's born with such susceptible thoughts and who has experienced neglect and abuse will usually practice their aggressive feelings elsewhere. It must be rare for a child to graduate onto to murder so soon, the Mary Bell case is the one example I can think of off hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think that's a ridiculous statement. There's no 'young people' with the exact same views or lack of empathy. I know a mother in her 70s who's defended her adult son who is known to have abused a younger family member, talk about a lack of empathy there. Look at the father of Fiona Doyle and her mother standing right by him. There's many young people with plenty of empathy working with special needs children, or volunteering on weekends. I know our local scout group has a waiting list for younger people to be leaders so many want to get involved. There's also loads of parents my age (30s) getting up on a Saturday morning to train youngsters in sport.

As for remorse, look at any of the now retired senior bankers, such as Sean Fitzpatrick or Michael Fingleton, or leaders like Bertie Ahern, or businessmen like Sean Quinn. The 'older' generation aren't all leading lights of remorse for wrong doing now, are they?

Some of the most unempathetic people I know are mass going Catholics aged in their 60s who are homophobic and don't want abortion introduced, for any reason, even a threat to a woman's life. I've encountered them, they are friends of my in laws, and couldn't empathise with someone in difficulty if their lives depended on it, because they think going to mass and giving a few bob to a church is being a good person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for
    authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer
    rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents,
    chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their
    legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

A quote apparently attributed to Socrates by Plato, but nobody is really sure where it comes from. It still holds true. Every generation thinks that the next up is worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

lazygal wrote: »

I think that's a ridiculous statement. There's no 'young people' with the exact same views or lack of empathy. I know a mother in her 70s who's defended her adult son who is known to have abused a younger family member, talk about a lack of empathy there. Look at the father of Fiona Doyle and her mother standing right by him. There's many young people with plenty of empathy working with special needs children, or volunteering on weekends. I know our local scout group has a waiting list for younger people to be leaders so many want to get involved. There's also loads of parents my age (30s) getting up on a Saturday morning to train youngsters in sport.

As for remorse, look at any of the now retired senior bankers, such as Sean Fitzpatrick or Michael Fingleton, or leaders like Bertie Ahern, or businessmen like Sean Quinn. The 'older' generation aren't all leading lights of remorse for wrong doing now, are they?

Some of the most unempathetic people I know are mass going Catholics aged in their 60s who are homophobic and don't want abortion introduced, for any reason, even a threat to a woman's life. I've encountered them, they are friends of my in laws, and couldn't empathise with someone in difficulty if their lives depended on it, because they think going to mass and giving a few bob to a church is being a good person.

It was a general sweeping statement, all young people are the devil. It's all the devil I tells ya.

Did you not see the waterboy?

Advertisement