Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Money for clothes

• 12-02-2013 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 23 cameraman21

Hi,

I have been on JA since September. I have now been offered a job in an insurance company that starts 25th of February. Is there any way that I can get a special payment (on top of my JA) of 150 or 200 euro to buy appropriate clothes for this job? Would they give it to me if I told them that I will no longer get JA if I take this job?

Obviously I need a suit and I haven't got one.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Unlikely. You could try the CWO but I don't think they'd spring for it..

Ask family members? Try second hand stores? If you're near some of the larger Tesco's they may even have clothing departments which do sell reasonably cheap suits from what I recall.

• Hi,

I have been on JA since September. I have now been offered a job in an insurance company that starts 25th of February. Is there any way that I can get a special payment (on top of my JA) of 150 or 200 euro to buy appropriate clothes for this job? Would they give it to me if I told them that I will no longer get JA if I take this job?

Thanks

I don't see why anyone needs 200 euro for interview clothes. You can get suits that look grand for much less and depending on where you live, you could find one in a charity shop or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Hi,

Thanks

Why do you feel the need to get money from the state for a suit. The mind boggles really ..
    You say you now have a job , get a loan from friend/ family and get a cheap suit on adverts or tesco til your first pay check and repay the loan. Simple really , try not to have the attitude that the state owes you ..

Enjoy your new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

You could go to the credit union. They are usually very helpful with things like this. €200 is of very little risk to them and now that you have a job you will have no problem paying a small loan of €200 back weekly in small amounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

If you are in Dublin and check out the many 2nd hand shops around Phibsboro
    D . 7 or Wicklow/ Wexford St. there are new suits (with still sewn pockets) to be had for around 25-40e . Louis Copeland and the like.
    A friend on Disability wears nothing but new suits (he says if the pockets are sewn shut it means they were never worn?) and you could pick up a shirt for a tenner in Penneys.
    There is a 'clothing grant' for extreme circumstances - dependant on the humour of your cwo.
    Agree with suggestion above of getting a loan from a friend / relative of a suit until your 1st pay packet comes in. Good luck with the job!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

what a chancer................... jesus christ we are fooked altogether, bet you look for a sub as soon as you start the job

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Op, what did you wear for your interview? That would make one outfit you can wear in the office no?

Also have you checked the dress code in the office? You may find that it's business casual with a dress down day on Friday which means M-T you wear smarter clothes like trousers/shirt, then jeans/shirt on Friday.

Very few businesses insist on people wearing suits everyday nowadays.

If you do find that it's business casual, then a couple of pairs of trousers/chinos, and a couple of shirts/jumpers would be all you'd need to start. Local charity shops tend to have a good selection

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

Highly unlikely you will be required to wear a suit. Trousers and shirt and tie will suffice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

This appears unsuitable for state benefits.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement