Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants in house

• 12-02-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

We have ants in our kitchen and they are coming into our sitting room through the dining room door , we are constantly cleaning and trying everything to get rid of them, has anyone had any experience with rentokil as my wife rang them and they said it would be €200 + vat . a friend of mine said they are a rip off but im looking for others opinions , we have a 8month old baby boy who is starting to crawl so we need to get this sorted .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

had them several years ago, tried a neat trick i found online and it worked fitst time:

get an empty jam jar, put a few spoons of jam in the bottom and smear jam around the inside of the jar, and smear a small amount around the outside rim.

The ants will be attracted to the sweet smell, and will stick to the jam. I found it best to do when going to bed. Next morning just put the lid on and chuck them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Get one of the ant bait station traps. Let the ants go into it. Let them leave and go back to the nest(dont use powder or anything else). A few days later no more ants. Nest also killed, so they shouldn't come back.

Co-Op should have them, Tesco might also. Aldi & Lidl have them from time to time and Homebase or B&Q as well.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=333772

I was really surprised how good they worked. Got rid of ants that had been in an old house for years, despite using ant powder and other methods every year. This got the nest. Seems it gets the ants to bring the poison to the nest themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭mad_shopaholic

We had ants in our kitchen as well is there something outside your kitchen door attracting them in? Ours turned out to be the brown bin you use for food waste the smell was attracting them as we had it placed just outside the door we stopped using it and got one of the bait stations and no problem since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

Get a tub of ant powder, I find Nippon to be the best and put it down in the area they come in. The powder sticks to their feet and they bring it back to the nest, eventually kills everything in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Ground up pepper corns where they are coming in your house is quite good!....Also talc powder is a good way to kill them!....They`re a pain we had about 2000 in our house one morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Found a few in our kitchen recently too, must be the time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

deadeye187 wrote: »
    Ground up pepper corns where they are coming in your house is quite good!....Also talc powder is a good way to kill them!....They`re a pain we had about 2000 in our house one morning.

I know, I hate when they come over uninvited, eating all the biscuits and then they just wont leave,

but in all seriousness

I just had some recently in the kitchen, been a few years since we had them. Have a baby too so was very careful about putting down powder, I did use the powder from the last time, but was careful to wipe the work surfaces in the mornings in case they walked it up there.
    Havent seen them in a few days.

I think the ant stations sound like a good idea, probably better than using powder (even though the powder does seem to be effective).

keep the brown bins as far from the house as possible in the garden, the jam jar idea sounds like it could work, or will it just keep attracting them?? plus Id be inclined to just wash it out rather than chucking it into the bin as that will surely draw more ants/insects/rodents.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

sorry to dig up an old thread, but have noticed ants in my kitchen just beside our back patio doors, is there any treatment i could use to eradicate that would be dog friendly as our dog sleeps in kitchen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

sorry to dig up an old thread, but have noticed ants in my kitchen just beside our back patio doors, is there any treatment i could use to eradicate that would be dog friendly as our dog sleeps in kitchen..

As above. Get ant bait stations in co op or diy shop. No danger to dog

Advertisement