Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Direct Debit?

Options
  • 12-02-2013 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

can this be done via my bank (AIB)?
    lets just say I wouldnt trust the current payee to cancel it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Legislator

Yes, you should contact you bank and ask them to cancel. I would confirm the cancellation in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I am not sure if this applies for all banks but I went to AIB to cancel a direct debit and they would only stop it for 3 months. To have it permanantly stopped I had to contact the payee

AIB are wrong. A cancellation is exactly what is says and cannot have a timeline of 3 months. Its your bank account and a cancellation from you means that your bank is obliged to return any direct debits presented on your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

well I can only go by what I was told by the bank. They said I signed up to a direct debit with the company in question, so had to cancel it with them. Standing orders are obviously different.

The DD Guarantee, in the DD Scheme, which AIB staff should be aware of states that you should cancel with your bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Legislator wrote: »
    AIB are wrong. A cancellation is exactly what is says and cannot have a timeline of 3 months. Its your bank account and a cancellation from you means that your bank is obliged to return any direct debits presented on your account.

You can cancel a DD but the bank must honor the request. A company can apply for a DD with a different reference number, when you cancel a DD it's just for that same reference number. The contract is between the op and the company, the bank is just the mediator.

Your bank is not obliged to return direct debits. You can ask for an indemnity form OP, but there is no guarantee that it will be returned.

A company is not allowed to submit a DD with a different reference unless the payer has set up a new direct debit instruction. Only Banks can submit an indemnity claim not payers and will always be refunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Legislator wrote: »
    A company is not allowed to submit a DD with a different reference unless the payer has set up a new direct debit instruction. Only Banks can submit an indemnity claim not payers and will always be refunded.

It must have all changed over the past 4-5 years.

Advertisement