Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packing in smoking 'takes five attempts'

• 12-02-2013 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/packing-in-smoking-takes-five-attempts-29064625.html
    IT takes an average of five attempts to quit smoking and it can be one of the toughest battles people face during their lifetime.

Tomorrow is National No Smoking Day and the hope is that it will kick-start smokers into tackling their habit.

aw crap i'm only on my forth attempt :D

anybody quit first attempt?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

davet82 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/packing-in-smoking-takes-five-attempts-29064625.html

aw crap i'm only on my forth attempt :D

anybody quit first attempt?

Well I'm a year and just over a month now, no desire to go back, feel the mindset is one of relief! Never even tried before, so hopefully this is it!

Best of luck, I think you quit when you want to, I mean really want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I smoked over 20 years. Quit first attempt. Nearly killed me but still off them 3 years in. Used Champix on prescription which helped quit but turned a bit mental for a few months (not sure this was the drugs or the withdrawl)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Norderburse

I smoked for 13 years. Told myself I wouldn't be a smoker at 18, 21 and 25....definitely took more than 5 attempts, some were more sincere attempts than others though. Tried the patches, hypnosis CDs, cold turkey, gum, Allen Carr books and CDs.....when I finally quit, 5 years ago, it was cold turkey with the help of Mark Jordans free ebook. Still can't quite believe I'm free of them now, definitely worth it! :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

First attempt. Cold turkey.

If I make it til 6 o clock tomorrow I'll be 6 months off them exactly. I have a feeling I'll make it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I stopped smoking on my first attempt also, a little over a year ago.
    I had been cutting down over the course of a year or so before I stopped (cold turkey).
    I believe the key to successfully stopping is being 100% committed to never, ever smoking again.
    So it is best to attempt when you really, truly, feel you're ready to stop, and not before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

That'd be about right for me. It was my fourth or fifth attempt before I finally kicked the habit. Previous attempts had lasted a month or even three months once, but I always ended up going back on them.

Been off them nearly three years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Party On My Hands

I smoked for 13 years. Told myself I wouldn't be a smoker at 18, 21 and 25....definitely took more than 5 attempts, some were more sincere attempts than others though. Tried the patches, hypnosis CDs, cold turkey, gum, Allen Carr books and CDs.....when I finally quit, 5 years ago, it was cold turkey with the help of Mark Jordans free ebook. Still can't quite believe I'm free of them now, definitely worth it! :-D
    Very similar story especially with the plan that I am not going to be a smoker at...I think this is my fourth attempt the longest I have been off them is 5 months but here is hoping that this is it!You do really need to be done with them for me it was the cost of them paying €10 a day for what really?My biggest hurdle is alcohol so be prepared what works for me is food and plenty of it especially when I am having a few drinks:)!In the long run we are better off what a habit like and for some people it is just a habit not a release from stress etc.

Advertisement