Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV protection for my Mum

Options
  • 12-02-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My Mum is 76 and lives on her own. She's recently had people calling who are ostensibly looking to sell something or begging but I know this is frequently a cover for sussing out who's in the house, what the contents look like etc in order to decide whether or not to come back at another time and either burgle the place or just scam the occupant e.g. talk their way in under some pretext and then one of them asks to go to the toilet and has a good rummage around to rob small valuables etc.

I don't think a full alarm system would be effective as my Mum would probably not be able to turn it on/off when she goes out or lock down the house when she goes to bed or she'd just forget + false alarms would freak her out so I'm thinking the most effective thing I could do for her would be to overtly install a CCTV camera in the front door porch which would capture anyone walking up to the front of the house and stream and record the footage online on a rolling 48 hour basis. I would also put a notice on the porch door pointing to the CCTV camera and stating it is being recorded 24x7 and stored online. My logic is that this would be the most effective deterrent to scammers and burglars who would rather target a house without such a camera.

Is this a good idea? If so what kit would people recommend? My Mum doesn't have broadband but she does have a landline so I could organise broadband for her and a wireless router if necessary to stream the image to an online storage site.

Thanks in advance for reading and for any feedback.

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Would this suit? The only problem with it is it stores the photos on an internal memory card. This is the one I was looking at, it will activate a Remote Alarm, and a Remote Switch turning on up 1500w of lights.

I too love the idea of online storage, but can't find anything reasonable that does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Would this suit? The only problem with it is it stores the photos on an internal memory card. This is the one I was looking at, it will activate a Remote Alarm, and a Remote Switch turning on up 1500w of lights.

I too love the idea of online storage, but can't find anything reasonable that does it.

Thanks QWERTY, they both look like good products but I really want the benefit of online storage. My problem with these is that they record locally so all a burglar who spots one of these has to do is smash it off the wall and take it with them taking all recorded evidence with them.

I'll keep looking. I guess my ideal product would be one which records wirelessly to a local hard drive or PVR that could be stored well away from the camera. That would remove the need for €30 a month broadband and defeat the weakness of the aforementioned products.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I know what you mean. Its the one thing that's putting me off getting it. Also unfortunately the Eyefi SD Card doesn't work with it.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anything suitable is suggested.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

My advice would be to install a camera on the front door and hook it up to the tv inside, if your mam does not recognise the caller then dont answer the door.
    An intercom might be another option

Advertisement