Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Shock franchise coming to GOG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I meant, would you need to have played the original to enjoy the sequel properly?

Ah right, I picked that up the wrong way.

I don't think so. I played the sequel first, and then the original game. I think the sequel is very much a game in its own right. Having played the original helps to fill in the back-story a bit more, but I don't think you'd miss that much tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I meant, would you need to have played the original to enjoy the sequel properly?

I played the sequel first and then the original. It's not really important to have played the original first, it gets explained to you anyway in important parts. It's quite clever how the game fits in with SS1 but it's not essential to enjoying the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ah right, I picked that up the wrong way.

In fairness, I made a complete mess of my question. Is the original coming out on GOG as well?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banner on GOG:

GOGcom.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Bought and downloading now.

$9.99.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hrm

i wonder how bad it's going to look at 2560x1440p

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

It's just the sequel though, and not the original?
    9.99 for SS2, but no sign of SS1. (Or did I miss it?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

363MB

Jaysus. Times have changed.

Loaded the game up there. Supports my res of 1440 x 900 although it seems to display the main menu at least in 4:3 with black bars on the sided of the screen. Haven't loaded up the actual game yet though.

Edit: Just loaded it up there. Looks great. Of course the textures are dated but smooth as butter. Maybe there will be some mods in the near future to make it look better.

there already are a few texture mods for ss2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

This one of the best place to get started with modding. SHTUP and Rebirth are probably the must haves.

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,106.0.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just go it up and running on Wine in Mac with a bit of messing around. I look forward to finally playing more than fifteen minutes of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Could somebody running this on W7 64-bit let me know if the FMV (there's a blast from the past) shows up? When I played through this they didn't.

Just bought this for a friend for his birthday, hope he enjoys it as much as I did. Considering he likes Dead Space, Deus Ex and Bioshock, I'll be surprised if he doesn't :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

marco_polo wrote: »
    This one of the best place to get started with modding. SHTUP and Rebirth are probably the must haves.

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,106.0.html

Unable to get these mods, what do they do anyways ?
    Sorry guests, this is just a small fansite and it isn't made for these numbers of downloaders. We're working on some optimisations and will be back later

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Unable to get these mods, what do they do anyways ?

Seems like they have battoned down the hatches for release day, must have understandably been getting waaayyy more traffic than normal.

The first one is a texture mod that you can also get here.

http://www.shtupmod.net/index.html

Rebith is a charachter model mod that can be also got here

http://www.moddb.com/mods/system-shock-rebirthhigh-poly-pack

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The midwife looks terrible in the mod, completely misses the point of how the original looked. Where the original was a perversion of what a mother that needs to be destroyed, preferably with fire the new one is a pretty face with mega diddies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Should probably refer here for info. re. mods etc. - http://www.gog.com/forum/system_shock_2/system_shock2_faq_patches_mods_recommendations/page1 - people reporting back on success with the gog version and so on. There is a thread about FMV not playing in that forum too. Weird thing about gog threads is they always go to the last post when I click on them or am I doing it wrong?

• Buying now. Will wait till Friday to play...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Seems to be a bit of controversy brewing on the TTLG forums:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140849&p=2166479&viewfull=1#post2166479

Looks like they just patched up the game with a couple of community fixes without crediting the authors.

Doesn't bother me personally, but I can see where they're coming from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Man, distant monkeys have never sounded so sinister :eek:

• Advertisement

• Just played first hour....
    I'm getting this Persistant Static noise when in Medical Bay.
    My OS is Windows 7 64bit.
    It's like a constant static blip that happens in approx 3 second intervals..it's driving me mad. Didn't happen in the first level. Raging, wanted to play tonight.I'm Running audio through HDMI on T.V.
    And i can't post issue on the GOG forum becuase everytime I try post a message nothing happens..weird.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Just played first hour....
    I'm getting this Persistant Static noise when in Medical Bay.
    My OS is Windows 7 64bit.
    It's like a constant static blip that happens in approx 3 second intervals..it's driving me mad. Didn't happen in the first level. Raging, wanted to play tonight.I'm Running audio through HDMI on T.V.
    And i can't post issue on the GOG forum becuase everytime I try post a message nothing happens..weird.

Have you tried turning off the music?
    If it turns out to be the issue, there's a high bitrate music mod that may fix it.

• TomCo wrote: »
    Have you tried turning off the music?
    If it turns out to be the issue, there's a high bitrate music mod that may fix it.

Il try turning music volume all the way down, if not I will install the music mod and report back. Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd play it without the new character models to be honest. The original aren't that bad, and some of the new ones look terrible.
    Man, distant monkeys have never sounded so sinister :eek:
    Ah, i hated that sound. Those psionic monkeys were a pain in the ass. Hitting them over the head with the wrench always felt satisfying though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Gameplay still holds up really, really well. Only problem I'm having is that playing at 1920x1080 the ui is so small it's making my eyes bleed.

Gameplay still holds up really, really well. Only problem I'm having is that playing at 1920x1080 the ui is so small it's making my eyes bleed.

There's a mod for that, scalable UI mod I think its called.

TomCo wrote: »
    There's a mod for that, scalable UI mod I think its called.

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4191.0

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

First time playing this (my machine wouldnt run it when it came out, lol).

The tutorial keeps talking about pressing Tab to activate some mode, but it does nothing for me... is that a relic of some older UI or am I missing something? Cant get the psyionics to work either, he just puts his arm out with an orb and firing creates a green cloud thing... I'ma bit lost :)

DeVore wrote: »
    First time playing this (my machine wouldnt run it when it came out, lol).

The tutorial keeps talking about pressing Tab to activate some mode, but it does nothing for me... is that a relic of some older UI or am I missing something? Cant get the psyionics to work either, he just puts his arm out with an orb and firing creates a green cloud thing... I'ma bit lost :)
    Tab brings up the inventory etc i think. as far a the psyonics go that cloud thing is you charging it up. I think you have the psi-pull power enabled which pulls objects closer to you. You can change which psi power you've enabled by hitting the tab button and clicking on the arrows in the bottom right corner. Either that or hitting F1 will cycle through your current ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭KilOit

Odd to re-release this game, saying that it's one of my most memorable gaming experiences ever but it had it's day.
    Didn't read too much into it but does it have anything to do with the release of Bioshock Infinite? was Ken Levine involved in the re-release?

Advertisement