Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoneybatter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I like my veggies...with a nice steak.:D
    But seriously.
    thinking of going down for lunch tomorrow.

has anyone been down? what are prices like?
    Are they competitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Going to drop in and get a menu tomorrow if I get a chance.

Went this morning, nice and busy which is a good sign.

Got a sample menu, Lunch has the usual Quiche, Lasagne, Beef Burger, Salads, Soups etc €6-€8, obviously with their own twist.

Dinner, 6 starters around €6, 8 mains from €8 to €19(Rib Eye Steak).

On the sample menu I recieved, apart from the Super Salad the rest of the Mains were meat/fish/poultry dishes.

The "Slow cooked Hereford Beef Stew" in O'Hara's Irish red ale and mushrooms served with creamy mash @ €12 :eek: would do me nicely.

I'd say they are busy so I'd book in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

nudger wrote: »
    Went this morning, nice and busy which is a good sign.

Got a sample menu, Lunch has the usual Quiche, Lasagne, Beef Burger, Salads, Soups etc €6-€8, obviously with their own twist.

Dinner, 6 starters around €6, 8 mains from €8 to €19(Rib Eye Steak).

On the sample menu I recieved, apart from the Super Salad the rest of the Mains were meat/fish/poultry dishes.

The "Slow cooked Hereford Beef Stew" in O'Hara's Irish red ale and mushrooms served with creamy mash @ €12 :eek: would do me nicely.

I'd say they are busy so I'd book in advance.

never got there today but plan on next weekend.
    do they have an early bird menu?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

`so the only only veggie dish was a salad - FFS:mad:

I would wander down mulligans instead so. at there you have choice of some decent veggie food

• Advertisement

never got there today but plan on next weekend.
    do they have an early bird menu?

Only starting out so not yet.

irishbird wrote: »
    `so the only only veggie dish was a salad - FFS:mad:

I would wander down mulligans instead so. at there you have choice of some decent veggie food

Have you asked them for the veggie menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Hootanany wrote: »
    Have you asked them for the veggie menu.

If they want to appeal to vegetarians, they shouldn't put the veggie food on a separate "veggie menu" that needs to be specially requested. To me that is a sign of a restaurant that is willing to accommodate vegetarians if they have to, but would rather not bother.

Why dont you go down there and tell them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Dandelion6 wrote: »

If they want to appeal to vegetarians, they shouldn't put the veggie food on a separate "veggie menu" that needs to be specially requested. To me that is a sign of a restaurant that is willing to accommodate vegetarians if they have to, but would rather not bother.

No it's not. Soulful bistro caters for everybodys tastes. It's not hard to ask for a veggie menu is it?

• Advertisement

lukesmom wrote: »
    No it's not. Soulful bistro caters for everybodys tastes. It's not hard to ask for a veggie menu is it?

Whether it's hard or not isn't the point. It's up to the restaurant to make it clear to the customers what is available, it's not up to customers to find out if they have a special secret menu other than the one the customer is offered by default.

I've had this conversation a million times with other vegetarians and I know a lot of them are equally annoyed by this. And many won't bother asking at all, will just assume that the menu on offer is what's available, and will go elsewhere.

*Shrug* it's up to your friend to decide if she wants to risk losing vegetarian customers by not putting vegetarian food on the main menu. No skin off my nose, plenty of other places I can go.

Whether it's hard or not isn't the point. It's up to the restaurant to make it clear to the customers what is available, it's not up to customers to find out if they have a special secret menu other than the one the customer is offered by default.

I've had this conversation a million times with other vegetarians and I know a lot of them are equally annoyed by this. And many won't bother asking at all, will just assume that the menu on offer is what's available, and will go elsewhere.

*Shrug* it's up to your friend to decide if she wants to risk losing vegetarian customers by not putting vegetarian food on the main menu. No skin off my nose, plenty of other places I can go.

You should have said it to her when you were there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

If you have a vegetarian menu, why would you not put it up? That makes no sense. Who looks at a menu on the door, see's nothing they want but then decides to go in and ask if they have another menu? Pretty much nobody in my experience.

If you have different menu's, you really need to put them on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

nudger wrote: »
    [/B]

Only starting out so not yet.

You called.?

As a vegetarian, i have looked at the menu and i have a choice of a salad. So i will not be going there.

I always check the menu before I book somewhere, as I would assume they will have their menu available and not hidden in the cellar

Why dont you go down there and tell them then.

Why? Its not up to me to tell someone how to run their business. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I've never heard of a place having a separate veggie menu. To claim you're veggie friendly and then only have a salad on the menu is poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Had a none vege irish breakfast here on Saturday - it was good

2 nice proper rashers - meant to ask what they were exactly or which butcher they came from - v good

2 nice sausages - old style small sausage, I would guess supermarket purchased as opposed to butcher - but v nice

Mushroom - not a big mushroom fan - but nice and good size portion

Nice portion of beans - old fashioned type beans if you know what I mean - v good and a nice change

Two pieces of tomato - not great at all, very poor actually

Two good size pieces of toast

All of the above was grilled as opposed fried - not greasy in anyway - again a nice change

Overall pretty happy - a little overpriced though, 11 euro with small pot of tea

Meant to ask to see the sunday roast menu, but forgot to :mad:

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    I've never heard of a place having a separate veggie menu. To claim you're veggie friendly and then only have a salad on the menu is poor form.

Did you read the menu?

Six out of 8 starters are vegetarian. Yes there is a salad main for vegetarians but she is working on more recipes at present. They are only open a little over a week. They are also introducing a vegan loaf in the next few days. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I think they are just having a pop might have an agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

No agenda. If I went up there for dinner and there was only a salad for a main I'd be pissed. That's all. Good to see it has been rectified.

Good luck though.

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    No agenda. If I went up there for dinner and there was only a salad for a main I'd be pissed. That's all. Good to see it has been rectified.

Good luck though.

Thank God:D

i have no agenda at all, i am always on the look out for decent veggie restaurants but I wont make to the effort to go to somewhere like Stoneybatter unless i know there is there is something i can eat.

I make the effort to go another place in stoneybatter, as i know the veggie food is excellent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Had a none vege irish breakfast here on Saturday - it was good

If you're in the general area, Wuff on Benburb St does a delicious breakfast. It's €7.95 (no tea/coffee) for one big sausages, 2 thick rashes, homemade baked beans, fried egg, fried potatoes and sour dough toast. You need to book though to avoid a queue at the weekend. www.wuff.ie

lukesmom wrote: »
    You should have said it to her when you were there.

I wasn't there. I'm commenting on the information posted by others here.

Glad to hear the owner has taken notice of our concerns and has not simply adopted the defensive posture of her friends here, who really weren't doing her any favours.

I wasn't there. I'm commenting on the information posted by others here.

Glad to hear the owner has taken notice of our concerns and has not simply adopted the defensive posture of her friends here, who really weren't doing her any favours.

That's unfair.
    I simply questioned why she wasn't asked. She is more than happy to discuss menus with her customers and is genuinely interested in your opinions and suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Our breakfast menu has already been posted and contains 10 out of 12 breakfast items that are suitable for vegetarians. There are also specific vegetarian dishes on it.
    Each day we make a brand new Soup of the Day which is with fresh Vegetable stock and a completely vegetarian dish. The pasta or special of the day (all home made) are generally Vegetarian too, just ask! From the lunch menu as it stands there are 6 out of 10 dishes that are Vegetarian. Dinner menu, that has now had the main courses adjusted as

So its a vegetarian restaurant catering for meat eaters :confused:

So its a vegetarian restaurant catering for meat eaters :confused:

Its not a vegetarian restaurant, just vegetarian friendly :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Twee. wrote: »
    If you're in the general area, Wuff on Benburb St does a delicious breakfast. It's €7.95 (no tea/coffee) for one big sausages, 2 thick rashes, homemade baked beans, fried egg, fried potatoes and sour dough toast. You need to book though to avoid a queue at the weekend. www.wuff.ie

Ah Thanks Twee - I have passed this place a few times late at night, early in morning and was wondering what it was exactly - its not there too long is it?

Edit - looked at menu - looks like a great spot for lunch, brunch and dinner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah Thanks Twee - I have passed this place a few times late at night, early in morning and was wondering what it was exactly - its not there too long is it?

Edit - looked at menu - looks like a great spot for lunch, brunch and dinner

It's new enough alright. The guy who runs it seems really nice, had a chat with him one day a few weeks back.

But no hope of brunch in there unless you book - it's packed at the weekends.

Advertisement