Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoneybatter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

hope this place does well but with the local competition in seven social, wuff, mulligans and seven it mayfind it tough. The green chili used to be good before they went downhill and never tried basilico because my missus was sure it was the same people as the green chili (we got a bad dessert there years ago and both got sick) but all in all its nice to have local food and drink options without having to bother going into town!

btw had a fantastic meal in seven social last weekend after an average first experience there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Must try Seven Sociel is it anything to do with Seven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

sweetie wrote: »
    hope this place does well but with the local competition in seven social, wuff, mulligans and seven it mayfind it tough. The green chili used to be good before they went downhill and never tried basilico because my missus was sure it was the same people as the green chili (we got a bad dessert there years ago and both got sick) but all in all its nice to have local food and drink options without having to bother going into town!

btw had a fantastic meal in seven social last weekend after an average first experience there last year.

Seven is quiet good. Just a pity they restricted the early bird on friday and saturday to 5-7.

Hootanany wrote: »

Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Seven Social is on my list as well! Must pop in soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

You'd think a mod would change the title to the correct spelling of Stoneybatter.

OCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There's a new bar opening up on Ellis Quay in the next few weeks, run by an Irish guy and two Brazilians - will be interesting to see what it will be like. Ive gotten bored with Walshs, Cobblestone and I absolutely hate Mulligans.

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hootanany wrote: »

I don't think it's anything to do with it. I presumed they both took the Seven in their name from being in Dublin 7.

Seven Social is nice. Had a light dinner in there one evening and it was excellent - the wine was top notch too.

They were doing a taster menu special night before Christmas. Food from the stone age to present day with wine. It sounded really great but was a little outside my price range at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Lux23 wrote: »
    Ive gotten bored with Walshs, Cobblestone and I absolutely hate Mulligans.

Really? I enjoy all three.

Why do you absolutely hate Mulligans?

• Advertisement

I can see why people might hate MUlligans.
    If you're not into craft beer then there's nothing to enjoy there for you.

Some people love Guinness, and you wont get that in Mulligans, while Walshes next door serve one of the best pints in Dublin.

Also, i dont know how anyone could get bored of Walshes, what a great boozer.

I've only started going to Mulligans recntly myself, and was there on Friday for a skinful. I could make that place my new home. Pity they dont have a tv for any football though, so i nipped into Walshes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I really like the fact that they don't have a tv. Far too many pubs seem to think it is obligatory to have a tv blasting away in the corner.

reprazant wrote: »
    I really like the fact that they don't have a tv. Far too many pubs seem to think it is obligatory to have a tv blasting away in the corner.

From a business point of view its a bad idea. Im not overly pushed myself, but if there is a match i want to watch then..... example:
    I was there last Monday, and had to go to Walshes to watch the Utd-v-City match. Maybe had 6 or 7 pints there and went home. That could have gone into Mulligans' coffers.

I'd hazard a guess that for all the people in Walshes watching that match on Monday, a third or so may have drank in Mulligans if they had the match on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Possibly, but then the people that were in Mulligans didn't care that there was no match on and may also even have appreciated it. Also, Mulligans is generally busy so, from their perspective, they don't seem to be losing out.

There is a growing number of pubs that don't have tv's so there is obviously a market there for it. A lot of people just want to go to the pub for a chat. It is generally easier to do that without a tv blasting away in the corner.

Each to their own though, sometimes I go to the pub for sport and want a tv but usually I go for the social aspect.

Lux23 wrote: »
    There's a new bar opening up on Ellis Quay in the next few weeks, run by an Irish guy and two Brazilians - will be interesting to see what it will be like. Ive gotten bored with Walshs, Cobblestone and I absolutely hate Mulligans.

Is that where Voodoo was or The old man of Aran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I heard the Voodoo was reopening so I'd imagine it's that site.

reprazant wrote: »
    Possibly, but then the people that were in Mulligans didn't care that there was no match on and may also even have appreciated it. Also, Mulligans is generally busy so, from their perspective, they don't seem to be losing out.

There is a growing number of pubs that don't have tv's so there is obviously a market there for it. A lot of people just want to go to the pub for a chat. It is generally easier to do that without a tv blasting away in the corner.

Each to their own though, sometimes I go to the pub for sport and want a tv but usually I go for the social aspect.

Well there wasnt many there on Monday. Thats my point, maybe for a midweek match show the matches, get a few heads in.

I dont think 90 mins of football would hurt anyone or discourage people from being there.

At the end of the day, men (most men) like to go out for a few pints to watch a match.

For the record, i do see the advantages of not showing football.
    Clearly Mulligans are trying to get a certain clientele in, and not a load of young fellas in jerseys and trackie bottoms.

Sure that's how they got rid of the regulars,took all the mainstream beers of the menu.
    A lot of the old regulars were saying I'm not going to drink chocolate Guinness. :D

You wont get many aul lads interested in that or O'Hara's.
    I dont mind it cos im an animal and i'll drink anything :pac:

And Mulligans isnt cheap either. I was surprised at the prices of some of their beers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Slattsy wrote: »
    From a business point of view its a bad idea. Im not overly pushed myself, but if there is a match i want to watch then..... example:

Not really. They're doing very well and know their target market. Lots of people want a pub without a TV.

Personally I'll go and watch a match when it's something that I'm interested in but that's not too often. And there's no shortage of places around that show every fecking game possible so why would they try and compete for that market when they've got the people who are interested in going for a pint without the distraction of a TV.
    I dont think 90 mins of football would hurt anyone or discourage people from being there.

It's not just 90 minutes though. If they were showing midweek matches, then they'd show weekend matches and soon they wouldn't be the pub they are.
    At the end of the day, men (most men) like to go out for a few pints to watch a match.

Huge generalisation.

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Huge generalisation.

A fair generalisation :)

A fair generalisation :)

Not really. Even amongst people I know who love football many of them will not go to pubs showing matches unless it's one they want to watch.

And there's a massive amount of guys out there who don't like football particularly at all. They just don't go on about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

There's a lack of decent pubs that have good beer and show the match though. Against The Grain got a tv in upstairs. O'Neills have a pretty good selection of beer but it's mobbed with tourists. People get fierce excited when there's football on a screen for some reason.

I would recommend McSorleys in Ranelagh for Wednesday night games though. All craft beer is €4, pint or bottle. Good selection too.

There's definitely room for pubs to do both.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Not really. Even amongst people I know who love football many of them will not go to pubs showing matches unless it's one they want to watch.

That was my point, most men will want to have a few beers watching their team :)

That was my point, most men will want to have a few beers watching their team :)

But when their team isn't on they want to quietly have a pint. Where to go?

I know - Mulligan's!!!! :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you will find very few craft pubs have tv's.

personally, i have no interest in sport, and love the fact that mulligans, kavanaghs, the black sheep and brew dock dont have tv's. it means i can go out on a saturday night and not be surrounded by by hooligans, screaming and shouting and generally making a show of themselves.

i find football crowds very intimating and scary probably too many bad experiences with the mob mentality growing up.

John Mason wrote: »
    you will find very few craft pubs have tv's.

personally, i have no interest in sport, and love the fact that mulligans, kavanaghs, the black sheep and brew dock dont have tv's. it means i can go out on a saturday night and not be surrounded by by hooligans, screaming and shouting and generally making a show of themselves.

i find football crowds very intimating and scary probably too many bad experiences with the mob mentality growing up.

Exaggerate much ?
    So if i want to match and my team scores a goal/miss a sitter/referee makes a bad decision etc etc and i shout at tv im a hooligan? :rolleyes:

Cop the **** on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Exaggerate much ?
    So if i want to match and my team scores a goal/miss a sitter/referee makes a bad decision etc etc and i shout at tv im a hooligan? :rolleyes:

Cop the **** on.

Do you not think your last line only confirms his point?

• Advertisement

Do you not think your last line only confirms his point?

Nope :)

Advertisement