Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoneybatter

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

You're half right but it is one if the oldest roads in Dublin, certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

david75 wrote: »
    New chipper opening up on the batter(haha) this week.

I think that would do well, manor street is just too far away for late night chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Mods can you edit the title please.
    Many thanks in advance.

I think it's Manor Take Away that is opening the new chipper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hootanany wrote: »
    Mods can you edit the title please.
    Many thanks in advance.

I think it's Manor Take Away that is opening the new chipper.

Done :)

Cheers it will keep the Gramar Nazis happy. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ive been to mulligans on a number of occasions. Grand going to a pint, food is good imo, not much seating unless you want food. Service has been very slow on a good few occasions and im not the only one i know who thinks this.

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think that would do well, manor street is just too far away for late night chips.

It is right? But you'd have walked to Meath, grown your own spuds and walked back again, before you got served in Sorrento. I've no living idea why that place is as slow as it is. It's in the 'nicest' part of the whole area. They need a severe kick up the hole. Service is terrible.

Can everyone why said they've been in and enjoyed mulligans, please say yes if they've been in and enjoyed the Glimmerman? Just a few small doors away? Please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That's grand though lads! It just means you're 'the type' of people you'd find in Mulligans. All im saying is youse arent usually 'the type' of people you'd see on any given moment in stoneybatter, is all. Hiding up in the terraced houses on the west side of manor st towards the park, yeah maybe but living and working in stoneybatter/manor street? Hardly.

To be honest I don't get this attitude. If someone isn't from the area they're 'hiding' up in the terraced houses?

What about the folk who are from Stoneybatter and live up there? I know people who have lived in the area their whole lives and drink in Mulligan's regularly.

Also I don't get why not serving Guinness on draught makes a pub 'wankery'. It's just a drink that they don't serve (and you can get it in bottles in Mulligan's).

It's a real reverse snobbery thing that puzzles me.

I live in Stoneybatter, I shop there, I drink there, I hang around there - but just because I don't work on Manor St. I'm somehow a 'type'? Let's face it - everyone from Stoneybatter can't work there too! How many true locals live and work in the Stoneybatter area?

I find it all quite puzzling to be honest and a little bit condescending towards local residents. Just because they're from the area they can't drink in a craft beer pub or dress a certain way?

Granted there's a lot of media types living in Stoneybatter now. But the sort of 'them and us' attitude that some people seem to have might be why some new arrivals drink only in places like Mulligan's as opposed to branching out to the other pubs.

Personally I love the area - I've been living there for years. It's a friendly place and I love having a chat with the lads in the greengrocer's and the butchers. I prefer shopping there than up in Tesco. I like being part of a community so near to the city. But I have experienced an attitude once or twice from some local people near me because I'm renting my house and wasn't born and reared in the area. Frankly I'm confused as to what the problem is so I just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Can everyone why said they've been in and enjoyed mulligans, please say yes if they've been in and enjoyed the Glimmerman? Just a few small doors away? Please?

I don't like the Glimmerman either, smells of sweat and fart.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Why? Do you own the Glimmerman ?

If not, go have a pint in the Glimmerman and then have your next pint in Mulligans - that will answer your question

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Have to laugh at ye all giving out about the pubs on offer in Stoneybatter when there is a better and more diverse range of pubs and restaurants there than in most places in Dublin. Take a walk through Cabra or Phibsboro or Castelknock if you dont believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Haha there is no decent pubs in Cabra,its like walking in to a warzone.

If by warzone you mean rows of terraced houses built in the 1940s with cobblelocked driveways and small back gardens, kids playing hopscotch and football on the street, a pious elderly community, a strong local GAA club and a great selection of local retail outlets then you are right, a warzone it is....:)......

No we are talking about the pubs,im from Cabra still live here and i wouldnt go to a pub in Cabra now if you paid me.Especially teh Oasis and Matts no way there is always trouble of some sort there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

dubstarr wrote: »
    No we are talking about the pubs,im from Cabra still live here and i wouldnt go to a pub in Cabra now if you paid me.Especially teh Oasis and Matts no way there is always trouble of some sort there.

Whats wrong with the Homestead ?

dubstarr wrote: »

Ok, I'd agree with you on the Oasis.

Homestead is fine, as is Downeys......a much more authentic 'aul lads' pub than any of the ones in Stoneybatter:P

Jesus Homestead bar you if you breathe and Downeys im not dead just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    To be honest I don't get this attitude. If someone isn't from the area they're 'hiding' up in the terraced houses?

What about the folk who are from Stoneybatter and live up there? I know people who have lived in the area their whole lives and drink in Mulligan's regularly....... I like being part of a community so near to the city. But I have experienced an attitude once or twice from some local people near me because I'm renting my house and wasn't born and reared in the area. Frankly I'm confused as to what the problem is so I just ignore them.

Well said!

Its an issue with Cabra..........local shops and pubs got too used to catering for the elderly community.......

Thats the reason why the Fresh Market and Ethersons can open new stores and immediately get huge business........the places they were up against were tired looking and not making an effort....

That hasnt happened yet with the boozers.

Sorry fo digressing from Stoneybatter.......but Cabra is the neighbouring community.

• Advertisement

They have Plasma on draught in Matts

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

dubstarr - Do not post in this thread again.

Everyone else - back on topic please, ie, Stoneybatter.

tHB

It's kind of in its final days in its current state. The DIT campus getting built in Grangegorman is going to change everything. For the better? Debatable. Gentrification is all well and good in truly run down areas but those hipsters we spoke about earlier just saw this coming. This whole area is about to get revamped and rebooted in a big huge way. 20,000 students will use this DIT.

Not out of the realms of possibility you'll see the likes of Starbucks and urban outfitters on stoneybatter within a few years. If you doubt me, go look at the previz video for the new campus. It's an entire town almost. Except they haven't built a mainstream feature into it, so stoneybatter's businesses will probably benefit most. If they don't get bought out that is. And a good few will I reckon.
    Enjoy it as it is while we have it I guess.

Also, this may be of interest to some. The digging in grangegorman has uncovered some archaeology.
    http://phizzfest.ie/2013/the-archeology-of-grangegorman/

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

see Seven restaurant is gone being replaced by a pizzeria!
    anyone know what happened? new owners?, seven was one of the best restaurants in dublin.
    their 2 course for 16 euro was a great deal.
    can't believe its being replaced by a pizzeria.

mikekerry wrote: »
    see Seven restaurant is gone being replaced by a pizzeria!
    anyone know what happened? new owners?, seven was one of the best restaurants in dublin.
    their 2 course for 16 euro was a great deal.
    can't believe its being replaced by a pizzeria.

Lease was up for sale for years wanted100k for it

Advertisement