Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Valentine's, fall in love with your home again, via Electric Ireland Quick Quote

Options
  • 12-02-2013 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Home is where the heart is... and every so often, a home can become a little cold and in need of TLC and warming up!

Electric Ireland's Home Energy team offers a range of services to make your home cosier and more energy-efficient, for example: insulation, heating upgrade, renewable technologies.

A facility to obtain a cost quote quickly and easily is here - in the shape of Quick Quote: available now as a simple-to-use computer app and already as part of our Appliance Calculator app.

QuickQuote_zpsb231ea5b.jpg

To mark St Valentine's Day and the introduction of our handy Quick Quote desktop, we are offering, here on Boards.ie, a Radisson Blu hotel voucher worth €300. It can be used in literally any Radisson Blu hotel, and is valid for 12 months.

RadissonBluStHelens_zps6714e8b2.jpg

Radisson Blu St Helen's, Dublin

To enter the competition, it's very simple and in keeping with the time that's in it - just post directly to this thread any memorable Valentine's moments: it could be... the first Valentine's card you ever received, the first card you sent, a particularly memorable (for the right or wrong reasons!) Valentine's meal, the moment when Cupid's arrow hit you... Anything – so long as you bear in mind that it's a family competition. ;)

The competition runs until this time next week; terms and conditions here.

We're anticipating some very soppy, sentimental posts - and hooray for that!

Best of luck, and enjoy!

Regards,

Electric Ireland Boards.ie team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Austin1

I'll never forget my first Valentine card. I was about 11 years old, the message was a bit cheesy but that's okay - I was thrilled just to get a card. It was only after examining it closely for a couple of hours that it dawned on me why that handwriting was so familiar
    - thanks Mam!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

My special Valentine memory was getting my first Valentine card at the age of 8 .

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

my best valentine present was a box of roses made up of only strawberry sweets, my favourites :

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I remember writing a valentines card on a typewriter and trying to type a heart like the one below.

Many wasted sheets of paper. No delete button back then :pac:
           _____           ___
         /  ___\  \       /  __\  \
       /  /        \  \   /  /        \  \
     /  /            \  "  /            \  \
    |  |               \ /               |  |
    |  |                "                |  |
    |  |                                 |  |
     |  |                               |  |
      |  |                             |  |
        |  |                         |  |
          |  |                     |  |
            |  |                 |  |
              |  |             |  |
                |  |         |  |
                  |  |     |  |
                    |  | |  |
                      | | |
                       | |
                        |

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Oh to be young again. One of my memories of valentines day is of my brother and his best friend meeting at the door of the girl they fancied as they went to drop off their cards on the way to school! The look of "what you doing here?". i was accross the road watching it all unfold Mind you they were about 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

Getting my first card at 9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Sitting in by the fire eating pizza, drinking rum & watching How I Met Your Mother with my girlfriend...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

When I was in 2nd year in school, one of the lads got sent a valentine's card to the school (pranked by some of his buddies not in the school). He had to collect the card in front of the year, after being called out over the loud-speaker. Morto for him. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

going drinking with mates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Im still waiting for a memorable valentines day moment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

Mine has to be when I proposed to my wife with a single rose on valentines day out in a restaurant and I had the ring embedded inside the rose itself.

She couldnt beleive it. thankfully she said yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

My first valentines memory was my cousin sending me a Valentines Card through the post as a prank. My parents kept at me for days asking who sent it as there was no name. but just lots of corny poems and rhymes. I think I was 9 or 10 years old at the time. I got loads of stick off my older brothers too. Card is still in the house last time I checked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

My earliest memory is making a heart shaped card with balled up bits of paper around it, I was 6 so gave it to my mother :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

A card I got in National School from a boy I really liked.  As it happens this guy was (possibly still is?) pretty good at Art.  There was hearts and diamonds on it, it was a lovely card.  Unfortunately an un-named member of the household threw it out at some stage thinking I didn't want it, I would have loved to have kept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭livdmg

Getting a few cards when i was in third year at school totally out of the blue, was a much needed ego boost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Started a greeting card company several years back. Just bought my second house thanks to this year's profits from Valentine's Day cards.

Thanks dudes!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

I got excited when I saw my first valentines day card....turns out it was from my sister :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gillymayb

My first valentines day with my boyfriend was all set to be very romantic and different.  The night before, I made a picnic with homemade biscuits and cakes, all set for our boat journey up along the coast of Ireland on valentines day.  Naively thinking that in February, the weather was going to be fabulous, oh how wrong I was! Left the harbour at half seven and made our way up the coast to deliver boats, sun shining and feeling excited.  The small electrical fire on board soon diminished the excitment, not to mention all of the electrics on board.  After a long 8 hour journey, we finally made it to Antrim, a little sea sick and unable to walk after the force 7 winds has smashed nearly every bone in my body when the waves hit the hull of the boat! Needless to say, the picnic was untouched.  We soon learned that if we didn't kill each other that day, we would make it through anything and are still together 5 and a half years later ;) :)  It was a very memorable day.  One I won't be forgetting for a very very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

MY first valentine memory was getting a card from my secret admirer (my auntie) in the post when I was 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

My first V-Day memory was when I was a teen, scraping together enough pocket money to get some cheap perfume for a very "lucky" lady! She must have been easily impressed because she said she loved it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

I got my first card when i was 10 from a secret admirer and thought I was great. Like a lot of people I later found out my mam had sent it to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭roroduff

My brothers got a card from my girl next door neighbour ad I was devestated my boy next door neighbour didn't get me one. I swear my life had ended and I remember crying for hours. Then in the afternoon the door bell rang and there he was with a single rose in his hand. He wanted to get a fresh one for me. It's mad how something so small made me feel so bad and then so good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

I still have my favourite valentine card.  It was made in 2004 by my daughter, then 4, in playschool.  It is a variety of clashing red and pink coloured paper stuck to a love heart shaped card.  The best bit is the scrawled Mam and xxx on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Buying roses for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jes114

I recieved a card with lots of cheeky comments and saucy poems, signed with a print of red lipstick, with an invitation to be in a certain location at a certain time. Bbeing quite young at the time, my parents did not want me to go because card was not signed but after lots of insisting, I was allowed to go and ended up late and found no one there! After a few days I learned that my cousin sent the card and organized a group of friends armed with flour and eggs to wait for me at the spot, thank god I was late!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 melkeane06

every valentine days for the last 8 years have been special as i have spent them with the same special guy, who is now my fiance..we get married this year...this would be a fab prize to win

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

giving my gf a pack of porridge on our first valentines date as she had mentioned that she liked it previously...she was in stitches

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppyfields

Getting home from school and the excitement of seeing my first Valentines card from a secret admirer. I cherished that padded card with teddy bears adorned on in for years. Year's later I found out my mammy had sent it...gutted.com!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

My most memorable Valentine's moment was the first one I spent with my husband (boyfriend at the time). He really spoiled me, got me chocolates, flowers and a huge teddy, brought me out for dinner and the restaurant was really nice and they gave us complimentary champagne and then we sat under the stars in front of a beautiful fountain that was lit up with pink lights :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

My most memorable Valentine's moment was when I was twelve years old. For roughly five years I sent the same girl a card every Valentine's Day. She knew it was me every time, but I guess she was too embarrassed to acknowledge it, or me, or both. I would get so excited when buying the card and would spend hours writing stupid and silly 'Roses are Red...' poems - I even put petals from a rose in the card once! Even though I got no response year after year, I continued to send them, hoping she would notice me. And every time I sent one, my family and friends would always ask if she said anything - I think that was the hardest part.

Then in sixth class I was sitting on the bus home minding my own business. She was the bus prefect and usually walked up and down, asking kids to sit down and keep quiet. All of a sudden she sat down next to me! I could hardly believe it and quickly fumbled through the usual talk about homework, etc - assuming that was what she was going to ask. Instead, she held my hand, looked me in the eyes and said 'Thank you for the lovely card, and all the other cards you have sent me over the years'. I couldn't believe it! I brushed it off and said it was no trouble (or something to that effect), but on the inside I had never felt so shaken in all my life. She smiled at me and then went back to her duties, but I walked home that day with a grin so wide I didn't care how stupid I looked. 

Nothing ever happened with the girl later on in life as we went separate ways, but I will always remember her for that moment. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement