Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Valentine's, fall in love with your home again, via Electric Ireland Quick Quote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Jes I can't remember back that far!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

About 10years ago - had the restaurant booked but there was a power outage - I think there was a bit of a storm - restaurant was closed when we got there so ended up eating in Buger King as we were both starving at that stage and very unlikely we coould have been squeezed in anywhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lorcafan

Hi folks,

Home is where the heart is... and every so often, a home can become a little cold and in need of TLC and warming up!

Electric Ireland's Home Energy team offers a range of services to make your home cosier and more energy-efficient, for example: insulation, heating upgrade, renewable technologies.

A facility to obtain a cost quote quickly and easily is here - in the shape of Quick Quote: available now as a simple-to-use computer app and already as part of our Appliance Calculator app.

To mark St Valentine's Day and the introduction of our handy Quick Quote desktop, we are offering, here on Boards.ie, a Radisson Blu hotel voucher worth €300. It can be used in literally any Radisson Blu hotel, and is valid for 12 months.

Radisson Blu St Helen's, Dublin

To enter the competition, it's very simple and in keeping with the time that's in it - just post directly to this thread any memorable Valentine's moments: it could be... the first Valentine's card you ever received, the first card you sent, a particularly memorable (for the right or wrong reasons!) Valentine's meal, the moment when Cupid's arrow hit you... Anything – so long as you bear in mind that it's a family competition.

The competition runs until this time next week; terms and conditions here.

We're anticipating some very soppy, sentimental posts - and hooray for that!

Best of luck, and enjoy!

Regards,

Electric Ireland Boards.ie team
    My wife and I have been married for 35 years. For our first Valentine's Day together I gave her a card with a picture of a guy promising to be always on his best behaviour with her, but if you turn the card around, he has his fingers crossed. They have remained crossed for 35 years now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 8noodles8

Every valentines is wonderful for me because i am with my wonderful girlfriend who i love to bits. No presents required!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I remember, in 5th class, 11 years old, buying a little gold heart-shaped locket for the blonde in my class. The 1st girl I ever kissed. Started chasing her after watching Charlie's Angels at 7 years of age and realising, MAN!, I want me a woman :-D And they say its only kids now who have their minds infiltrated :-D But then the 70's Charlies Angels were the more exquisite ones, weren't they?

Minor hitch though. I bought the locket with my best friend. We were competing for her attention with another duo!! The innocence of it all :pac: Happy, innocent days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

My mother used to send me Valentines Day cards in school, I taught I had a secret admirer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

My favourite valentines moment was being brought roses and chocolate in bed, and cooking a really nice dinner in return

• Registered Users Posts: 31 AJJ2010

First rose I gave a girl was returned to me be it did result in my first kiss from her friend.... it was a pity kiss, not that I cared - I got the shift!! Ah memories haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Its my birthday on Valentines day and this day 4 years ago, my brand new girlfriend that I was very impressed with told me we were going away on a city break to Amsterdam, just the two of us :) Meant a lot to me as a year previously, my friends from college all chipped in and bought me a ticket to go to Amsterdam(n) but I couldn't go due to college commitments. 

Still together to this day! And she deserves a treat so I'd love to bring her to one of these hotels!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Vayda

The first Valentines card I received from someone I loved very much was a handmade one, with a poem & cute little drawings inside. This year will be our seventh Valentines together and I still have that first card, folded away in my jewellery box (:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

My first valentine card was given to me by a middle age woman with a beard. She told me she worked for a special unit in the department of justice. She was so mysterious. It turned out her real name was Kevin and he was a hair dresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

First valentines day i remember, was about 5 and my "boyfriend" left a teddy and card outside my front door before school and ran away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

I was lucky enough to take my Valentine (now fianceé) to a fancy restaurant when we were first going out.  Me being clever looked at the menu and said to my other half, 'there's no need to order any more chips, I'm getting some with my steak.  We'll share'

The meal came out and there was only nine chunky chips on my plate, stacked like Jenga.  We were so shocked and disappointed both our jaws dropped but I was so romantic I shared a few.

The meal was never enough though and the temptation of McDonalds was nearly too much as we sat staring at it from our window seat in the fancy restaurant.  I have never made the same mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭diamondgirl

we have been writing a valentines card for my daughter for the last few years.  The Kids have to walk past our house to get to the local school, so she thinks its a boy from her class. She is only 10, but its lovely to see her face when she opens to card  for see a big from question mark on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭gopod

Aged 10. 
    I really liked a friend of mine (Claire). 
    I built up the courage to buy a card and wrote a simple poem:
    "Dear Claire, Roses are red, violets are blue. You know me and I love you!". 
    My plan was to drop it in her bag on Valentine's day in school. 

A day before Valentine's she was over in my house and saw the card, opened it and read it! 
    I felt my cheeks going red. 
    I came up with an excuse that it was for another girl we both knew with the same name. 

I couldn't possibly give Claire the card after that . 
    I was so disappointed and annoyed that the hours of planning everything were wasted!

Childhood innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KBHolm

On my student job I was working with this guy who was grumpy, a-social and didn't really want to work with a girl. I thought it was great, because I could chat and chat and chat and he would never say anything back (I come from a family with girls, where you never get a word in). This is when Cupid's arrow hit me, I started to fall in love with this grumpy guy. He finally agreed to go out with me because it was ridiculous that no one wanted to go and see LOTR with me (I also didn't ask anyone else). Almost 11 years later we're still together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The first Valentines card I got was when I about ten. An older woman (13) took a fancy to me. She didn't live beside me but in my relatives village. She sent me a card, a letter and a picture of the band Wham with a love heart etched in to in (picture was on a cardboardy type thing). Still managed to pull when I was ten while I was wearing a pair of Bermuda shorts and a Kylie and Jason t shirt who were also in a love heart. You couldn't make it up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

getting my first card in school. from the person I sent one too. felt like we were meant to be (we weren't)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Grahamb23

Hi folks,

Home is where the heart is... and every so often, a home can become a little cold and in need of TLC and warming up!

Electric Ireland's Home Energy team offers a range of services to make your home cosier and more energy-efficient, for example: insulation, heating upgrade, renewable technologies.

A facility to obtain a cost quote quickly and easily is here - in the shape of Quick Quote: available now as a simple-to-use computer app and already as part of our Appliance Calculator app.

To mark St Valentine's Day and the introduction of our handy Quick Quote desktop, we are offering, here on Boards.ie, a Radisson Blu hotel voucher worth €300. It can be used in literally any Radisson Blu hotel, and is valid for 12 months.

Radisson Blu St Helen's, Dublin

To enter the competition, it's very simple and in keeping with the time that's in it - just post directly to this thread any memorable Valentine's moments: it could be... the first Valentine's card you ever received, the first card you sent, a particularly memorable (for the right or wrong reasons!) Valentine's meal, the moment when Cupid's arrow hit you... Anything – so long as you bear in mind that it's a family competition.

The competition runs until this time next week; terms and conditions here.

We're anticipating some very soppy, sentimental posts - and hooray for that!

Best of luck, and enjoy!

Regards,

Electric Ireland Boards.ie team
    My fav memory is when my girlfriend was studying in another country I got a great surprise last valentines when she surprised me. I left work and when I got to the car she was waiting for me. Best day ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Lots of absolutely fantastic stories folks - thanks for sharing!

And a happy Valentine's all!

Winner of this competition will be announced next Tuesday. :)

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

My most memorable v day was when i thought a girl actually smiled at me ........... but alas no. 

Forever alone

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

Am now seeing a girl who doesnt like Val's day. Spent the day hiking and playing sports (with her) it was awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I got a valentines card into the letterbox when I was about 8, and was very curious to know who sent it! Until I matched the handwriting up to my Granny's. She still denied all knowledge and kept it up for ages, even a few years later still denying it, although the evidence was compelling! I still have the card somewhere.. There was a bear with a heart on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

My first valentine card I got when I was 12 is from the same lady I got one from yesterday! 30 years and 3 children later! I can remember the clothes she was wearing on that day in February 1983....10,958 days ago!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I remember the first Valentines card I gave (in proper!). I was about 13 and a bag of hormones. A girl, whose aunt lived on the road opposite me, was the most stunning sight I had ever seen. Every weekend she would be up, and every mid term she would appear, like the sunshine above the clouds as you slowly rise in a plane to somewhere warm and foreign.

I decided that I needed to prove my love to her once and for all. Nervous and shy, I bought a Valentines card and a pack of Rolos. Being the strapping young man that I was, I of course, became hungry with nerves and the long walk from the shops. I thought to myself that once I at least left the last Rolo, the sentiment would remain. So, I ate all but the last rolo.

On arriving at her house, I placed the card on her doorstep, placed the single rolo on top of the envelope and rang the doorbell. Similar to a cat being presented with an exploding balloon, I shot off from the premises and kept running until I got home. I dived into my driveway, and hid behind my gate, looking up the road. After about half an hour I emerged and walked back up the road, and looked into the house. Alas, the card and rolo were still there, so I walked in and thought that I would come back later. To my horror, as I picked up the card and rolo, her Aunts car rolled into the driveway, with the girl in the back. There I was stood, like a rabbit in the headlights, card in one hand and a partially mauled and melted rolo in the other. With, probably pure fear, I walked up to the car, opened her door handed her the card and placed the squished, and now sweaty rolo into her hand. I then walked away and didnt stop until I was in my house. Suffice to say, nothing ever happened between me and the girl.

She now lives on the other side of the world. Probably not a coincidence either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

I went a weekend camping trip for a friends birthday and they were a couple of people there who i didnt know, i got chatting with one of the girls and we really hit it off...fast forward to sunday and we get back to town and we end up having drinks for a few hours just the two of us as everyone had left,i couldnt muster up the courage to ask her out so as we were leaving we shared a taxi to my bus stop and i have just gotting a pretty expensive phone but rather than ask her out, i left the phone in the taxi on purpose hopeing she would find it and try and return it to my, low and behold the next day in work i get a mail off my friend saying that the girl had found my phone and wanted to return it and that she wanted my number, we went out after that and a few more and we are now together 2 and half years and we now have a beautiful baby together :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 se

wearing red boxers in shopping mall.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MissHelen

My Valentines memory goes back to when I was first going out with my now Fiance   He had booked a Valentines meal in a local restaurant.  I had been in a mad rush to get dressed as I had been working all day.  To cut a long story short I somehow managed to lock myself in the bathroom. My phone was of course on my bed so I had no way of contacting anyone especially my now Fiance to tell him I would be late!! After what felt like an eternity my Parents arrived home.... Daddy  to the rescue had to take the door off its hinges! !!  I hurridly got myself dressed to a decent standard.... got Dad to drop me at the restaurant and wait outside in case my other half got fed up and left.  To my amazement after waiting almost two hours for me.. he was propped at the bar with a pint in hand.  I could not apologise enough. I was too embarassed to tell him the real reason for my lateness for fear I would be slagged endlessly.  I told him I lost track of time getting dressed (as girls do). He just simply said 'I was worth the wait'.  He must have had Faith in me from the start.  Ten years on... were engaged and he bought me a watch this year as my valentines gift.... to mark the occasion (No excuse to be late for our wedding now!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭copper04

Arriving unexpectedly at my girl fiancé's house on Valentine's day when I was suppose to be still abroad and seeing the look
    on her face. She could not believe that it was possible as I had spoken to her on the phone the day before and made no mention
    of being home the following day. She has not divorce me yet. !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Legally challenged

My first Valentine bought me a gorgeous and very expensive necklace. I totally forgot to buy him anything so I ran into my moms room, grabbed my dads used Harley Davidson deodorant, slapped some Christmas wrapping paper on it and passed it off as though it was really expensive. For shame!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement