Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All my dogs vomitting?

• 12-02-2013 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Can anyone shed some light on what I should do next?

(EDIT: I have 3 dogs but I am looking after my Mum's small house dog for a number of weeks. I wonder if his vaccinations are up-to-date or would that make a difference? My lot have all their vaccs + kennel cough.)

The only answer I have at the moment is to feed them cooked chicken & rice for the rest of the week.

Last Saturday my smallest dog got a small amount of yoghurt by mistake. She vomitted a small amount that night. She repeated it again during Sunday.

Then when making dinner Sunday I gave each dog a small piece of raw carrot. 1 hour later the middle dog vomitted a small amount. So I decided to give them all cooked chicken & rice for dinner.

Got up Monday morning, again more vomit. I gave them all cooked chicken & rice. That afternoon everything seemed to be OK. I gave them a treat. That evening I gave them Burns kibble mixed with their moist food. Everything was going well. That night when I was putting the dogs to bed, the eldest fella vomitted up his dinner.

This morning I got up to more vomit.

Could this be a bug and should I bring them all to the vets? Is there a shot the vet could give? Or would a cooked chicken & rice diet do?

EDIT: spirit wise they all seem fine: wagging tails, going to toilet OK, go for walks, looking for food, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

what sort of vomit was it?? sound disgusting but was it food or was it like a greeny yellowy bile??

The yoghurt and carrot should not have caused them to vomit, in fact yoghurt is good for your dogs digestive system, .

have you noticed if you dogs have been eating grass recently??? I know my dogs can vomit after eating grass, why they do it no one knows for definite, everyone has their old wives tale about grass eating, but i think they do it coz some grasses just taste nice to them!!

i wouldn't worry too much about it for the moment, if they are in good spirits, eating, drinking and toileting normally then just keep an eye on them, but if it persists over the course of the week, maybe just ring your vet surgery and run it passed one of the nurses there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

kassie wrote: »
    what sort of vomit was it?? sound disgusting but was it food or was it like a greeny yellowy bile??

The yoghurt and carrot should not have caused them to vomit, in fact yoghurt is good for your dogs digestive system,

The first vomit would be big and nearly all food. The subsequent ones would be smaller, with less food and more liquid. The liquid would be mostly water.

I checked the ingredients and the yoghurt in question had some cream in it - this caused the vomitting. Normally she gets to lick the 'empty' yoghurt pot.

Looking back now, I think it might be just the one dog vomitting overnight - the eldest fella. I am going to put them all back on cooked chicken & rice for the rest of the week. Hopefully that will clear it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

I would starve them all for 24 hours and then start feeding chicken and rice.If they are still vomiting after 2 days,I would bring them to the Vet as they could have a gastro bug.Leave fresh water out for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

my dogs and a lot of the neighbourhood dogs have had this over the last couple of weeks. i starved mine for 24 hrs but giving plenty of water. then gave them small amounts of chicken and rice then introduced their normal diet grad. they were fine in a couple of days. if you have any concerns though please at least ring your vet for advice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

Definitely second starving for a day. Whatever it is it's in the gut so give that them all a rest for a day.

If they go back to vomiting a trip to the vets may be needed. Could be giardia if all are vomiting. Nothing too scary but common in wet weather (often from bird poo) especially if they're all barfing. It's an intestinal parasite, spreads like wildfire, and cured with simple antibiotics. If giardia you'll have to disinfect the place a bit as it can persist.

Put a pinch of salt and sugar in their water until they go back on food regardless of what is causing it. Cheap electrolytes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Thanks all for the advice.

Spoke to my vets and they didn't hear of any bug going around. She suggested the same advice as you all did.

If they start vomitting again I'll bring them into the vets straight away.

Advertisement