Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Marketing Practice (Smurfit)

Options
  • 12-02-2013 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Have any of you done the Masters in Marketing Practice in Smurfit? If so could you tell me what the interviews are like, as well as the course itself please.

I have an arts degree, but from what I've heard you can get onto the course with one through the interviews.

Thanks in advance!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 StephenR123

I have a friend who is doing marketing practice at the moment. he got a 2.1 in commerce. He had a 1 hour interview, then a 3 hour group interview. He said you can get in with an arts degree. That's what I'm doing myself. Hoping to get into the other marketing masters in smurfit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

Ah that's great! Thanks for the reply StephenR123! I was looking at the masters in marketing and I got an email telling me I couldn't do it with an arts degree unless I had 3 years job experience in it. Got an email back from the school and they said what you just said also.

Have you any idea what he said the course and interviews are like?

He said he loves the course. Are you sure that wasn't for an MBA that you had to have 3 years experience. What subjects did you do in your arts degree? there are certain subjects that qualify for marketing and others that don't. I know a girl who went straight from arts into HR management

It was a masters of marketing. Yeah I emailed smurfit and was told I didn't meet requirements. Strange really as I heard it was possible. Any idea if there are a lot of presentations and class project work in the marketing practice masters? Also are you going for the masters in marketing in smurfit? I am doing English and Music (final semester).

I will probably apply for september 2014. You see I do sociology and that's a related subject so I should probably be eligible. Yeah he said the majority of the work in presentations, and only a little bit of theory. He said it's basically like working but you're paying for it

• Advertisement

I would say you would be able to apply with sociology then. Marketing Practice is meant to be a 9-5.30 Monday-Friday thing in an office from what I hear. Sorry about the questions but do you know if he said in class presentations or to the companies and people in the offices?

From what I've heard, he does mainly presentations to his class, but he works at and organizes events. There may be some aspect of presentations to companies, but I don't think they throw you in to the deep end that too early

Okay cool, thanks a lot for all the info! I appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Got an email today about the open evening. Deleted it but the info is here if you want it

Thanks Maldesu! Think I'm going to head up to it for about 5.30/6pm. It's on until 7. Are you thinking about one of the masters programmes?

• Advertisement

narwhalthe wrote: »
    Thanks Maldesu! Think I'm going to head up to it for about 5.30/6pm. It's on until 7. Are you thinking about one of the masters programmes?

No, I'm currently doing an undergrad in UCD and they just send the emails out to us hoping we'll sign up for another couple of years. :D

Haha, I have gotten 3 emails about the open day. Thought it was because I emailed somebody from Smurfit but must be on of the heard! I'm on the same boat- doing Arts. UCD love signing people up to things to make money. :D

Nope. You're just part of the heard. :D
    Sure at least Smurfit is moving up the rankings, but you'd never get me near them. Can't stand accounting/marketing/finance stuff.

I can see where you're coming from! I didn't like the idea of doing it in Quinn as an undergrad. A masters attracts me far more though. Guess I better get used to presentations finally haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WendyHuang

I have a friend who is doing marketing practice at the moment. he got a 2.1 in commerce. He had a 1 hour interview, then a 3 hour group interview. He said you can get in with an arts degree. That's what I'm doing myself. Hoping to get into the other marketing masters in smurfit
    I'm going to apply for MSc Marketing Practice in Sep. 2014. Just send the application documents this week, from China, could you pls give me some specific interview tips? I really want to take this course. Thanks~

Advertisement